Accidentally bought a horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Josher

Reaction score
Unfortunately with the long evenings a person has too much time to look at things to spend my hard earned savings on. Showed the wife a horse on Facebook auction that has a lameness issue that comes and goes. Otherwise a very well trained horse. She was all enthused and I made a deal that if it turns out the horse is completely useless then we can butcher it. She was horrified but reluctantly agreed with condition that she would never see any evidence of it. And was definitely not helping. So I bid $500 and that was my max. Expecting someone else would bid. Nobody else bid so now we get to go pick up a horse.

Unfortunately with the long evenings a person has too much time to look at things to spend my hard earned savings on. Showed the wife a horse on Facebook auction that has a lameness issue that comes and goes. Otherwise a very well trained horse. She was all enthused and I made a deal that if it turns out the horse is completely useless then we can butcher it. She was horrified but reluctantly agreed with condition that she would never see any evidence of it. And was definitely not helping. So I bid $500 and that was my max. Expecting someone else would bid. Nobody else bid so now we get to go pick up a horse.
If you want another well broke horse with the same issues we can make a deal! He's a finished healing horse, so you can start making your investment back right away!

If you want another well broke horse with the same issues we can make a deal! He's a finished healing horse, so you can start making your investment back right away!
I think I've done enough damage for one day. Sure curious how my new horse is gonna turn out. What kind of issues does your horse have? Sounds like this one is something in the shoulder that bothers it from time to time

Seems like you could have filled your freezer for half that. Did you bid against yourself?

I think I've done enough damage for one day. Sure curious how my new horse is gonna turn out. What kind of issues does your horse have? Sounds like this one is something in the shoulder that bothers it from time to time
It is always the shoulder when people really can't work out where it is so they fall back onto the shoulder. (including vets)

Ken

I have never eaten horse meat, but meat is meat, I guess. If it doesn't work out, you can always fill your freezer.

I don't know what his issue is. He has very flat front feet and walks on his soles too much. But there's more going on than that. I keep him on Legends and don't use him anymore. He's a kind soul and will live out his days here. Unless someone come along looking for a yard ornament to spoil.
Hopefully your new acquisition is usable and pain free more often than not.

Seems like you could have filled your freezer for half that. Did you bid against yourself?
I hope it doesn't come to that but from a meet standpoint I think it's still a reasonable buy. 500 CAD is like 350 US. And that was the minimum bid allowed.

I have ate horse meat before. It is OK. I have a SIL who does all of his own butchering. They eat horse pretty regular. People give him lame horses. He feeds them up for a while and into the freezer they go. If you do the work yourself and don't mind the thought of eating horse a person could sure drop their grocery bill.

One thing for sure is that for every unsound horse out there there are several folks that will line up to make money from it. From complete voodoo to some sound science. Magnetic blankets, infrared blankets, healing hands, chiropractors, massage therapists, dentists, feed supplements, injectable drugs, oral drugs… these are just a fraction of the endless ways to spend money on a horse.

One thing for sure is that for every unsound horse out there there are several folks that will line up to make money from it. From complete voodoo to some sound science. Magnetic blankets, infrared blankets, healing hands, chiropractors, massage therapists, dentists, feed supplements, injectable drugs, oral drugs… these are just a fraction of the endless ways to spend money on a horse.
That's what I'm afraid of. Not interested in spending thousands into horse care products

The majority of horse meat goes to Japan or France. There use to a horse slaughter plant north of Seattle. I knew a guy who took a load or three of horses there every week There are no horse kill plants in the USA. I know here kill horses go to Canada where they still have them.

The majority of horse meat goes to Japan or France. There use to a horse slaughter plant north of Seattle. I knew a guy who took a load or three of horses there every week There are no horse kill plants in the USA. I know here kill horses go to Canada where they still have them.
Ya I think there is one plant by Lethbridge Ab somewhere. And I wonder how long till they try shut them down here too. The animal rights people try every angle they can.