Accidentally bought a horse

Help Support CattleToday:

Is that a pain killer, ant inflam or what does that do?
This is from their site:

The active ingredient in LEGEND, hyaluronic acid (HA), decreases the presence of inflammatory mediators in the joint, improves synovial fluid quality, and reduces the degree of lameness. These improvements are seen whether LEGEND is administered by intravenous (I.V.) or intra-articular (I.A.) injection. LEGEND hyaluronate sodium injectable is sterile, pyrogen-free and FDA-approved.

HA is what is often used in humans as the injection they give in knee joints.... Synvisc and some other names for it. For a simple "explanation"... it is like "greasing the joint" when there is no grease fitting. The HA in the joint area will decrease with age and with damage/injury to a joint.. and knees are the site that it is most noticeable. I had the injections in the knees years ago, back then it was a series of 3 injections... did not get much benefit from them but know 2 people well that went 18 months after treatment, with the relief from the injections. It is popular to use it in horses... have a friend with show ponies, carriage competitions, and he swears by it for any that have joint issues.

Dang, that's almost as bad as waking up and realizing you accidentally got married to one of the lot lizards at Fred's truck stop.
At least you can use the horse in the founders parade, and be forgiven for for your sin next Sunday.

Well darn. Every time I think that I think of something new, there's always a country song that beat me to it.
Good thing my wife married me because I'm slow. She can never use the excuses of being surprised or disappointed. I tried to tell her.
Hey…….maybe she's the slow one!

Legend - hyaluronic acid. The big training barn where I kept my Saddlebred while we fenced the place and built a barn had a lot of dressage horses and jumpers. They were all on 'maintenance' of some sort as if this was normal. Besides joint injections were also using the magical blankets with magnets, horse chiropractor adjustments, etc. and just kept riding them.

My horse had a club foot when I bought him. His heel was contracted, frog was set way up high in the foot with no frog pressure. He was intermittently stepping short on it. The trainer insisted he be kept shod. Tried rolled toe shoe, 'maintenance' shots, (not into the joint it was IM), nothing really worked.

Well, I got him home, pulled the shoes and let him free to graze on the damp soil of Oregon. I got a farrier that trims that hoof high/low like you are supposed to. The foot spread, got ground contact with his frog and he's been perfectly sound ever since. My shoer used to be a rodeo bull rider and has a front tooth missing.

Last edited:
I've poured a bunch of concrete for a Equine Chiropractor, he's doing very well. Those gals with the sparkle butt jeans toss the money around when it comes to their ponies. I've also slaughtered 2 horses with my butcher friend for a native gal.

Legend - hyaluronic acid. The big training barn where I kept my Saddlebred while we fenced the place and built a barn had a lot of dressage horses and jumpers. They were all on 'maintenance' of some sort as if this was normal. Besides joint injections were also using the magical blankets with magnets, horse chiropractor adjustments, etc. and just kept riding them.

My horse had a club foot when I bought him. His heel was contracted, frog was set way up high in the foot with no frog pressure. He was intermittently stepping short on it. The trainer insisted he be kept shod. Tried rolled toe shoe, 'maintenance' shots, (not into the joint it was IM), nothing really worked.

Well, I got him home, pulled the shoes and let him free to graze on the damp soil of Oregon. I got a farrier that trims that hoof high/low like you are supposed to. The foot spread, got ground contact with his frog and he's been perfectly sound ever since. My shoer used to be a rodeo bull rider and has a front tooth missing.
A lot of my hero's have missing front teeth

I been watching for another one for my granddaughter ….don't want to sink a fortune in one

Well we picked up the horse today and handed over the $500. Watched him walk around a bit. He was the last horse I walking in and just a bit stiff. I can't quite tell where his issue is. I think we are gonna start with getting a professional hoof trimmer to go over it maybe they will be able to see something. To me looks like the back feet could use a little help. They had been getting a neighbor to do all the trimming.

HA is what is often used in humans as the injection they give in knee joints.... Synvisc and some other names for it. For a simple "explanation"... it is like "greasing the joint" when there is no grease fitting. The HA in the joint area will decrease with age and with damage/injury to a joint.. and knees are the site that it is most noticeable. I had the injections in the knees years ago, back then it was a series of 3 injections... did not get much benefit from them but know 2 people well that went 18 months after treatment, with the relief from the injections. It is popular to use it in horses... have a friend with show ponies, carriage competitions, and he swears by it for any that have joint issues.
Had 3 injections in November and December. Not much help.

Nephew sells Joint Juice, a BioZyme product for cattle that is HA. It's a liquid you squirter on their feed.
We've been giving it for couple of years to our old Heeler.
He was diagnosed with bad ACL's (called something different in dogs) before he was a year old. Vet said he would keep getting little tears and it would build up cartilage. During his mid years, he wouldn't hurt as bad, but older age, he would be pretty bad.
He is very stiff, but still runs like crazy.
He had a yearly checkup, and vet said his joints felt great. Weren't big at all. Maybe it's helping. He's 10 years old now.

So what can u do to help it along. I'll hope to know more about the situation when we get him home
isolate the issue to find out if it is a shoulder issue and not in the leg. If a shoulder issue is muscular and not a serious problem in a joint, you can usually find out by sweating the shoulders. We used to sweat a lot of shoulders, backs and hips when we raced harness horses if the problems were sore, stiff or shortened muscles. It's pretty easy to do. Get a large bottle of listerine and after brushing down his shoulder and front chest areas, soak the hair down pretty good with the listerine. Cover that area with a large piece of polyethelene sheeting and use some plastic blanket clamps or clothes pins to hold them in place, then cover the plastic with a couple layers of old blankets (we used "coolers" ) and finally put a horse blanket on him to hold in his body heat. We usually kept him tied for a while after this. Let him stand until you see sweat kind of running out for about 15 minutes or so from the heat he will create. Then move him around and see if he is still sore. If it's muscular, the heat will usually take the soreness out and his soreness will be alleviated quite a bit, and that issue can be dealt with pretty easily and with topical or light pain killing treatements, if it's structural it will require a more agressive treatment that will likely be ongoing

Latest posts