Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

I uhhh....
Have considered it a time or two. If I decide to keep all these danged colored up cows, that'd be the thing to do for sure!
Most of these oddballs I bought to let em raise their calf and re-sell as calves and bred cows this fall. The money I gave for most of em, the calf will pay for the pairs. Then sell the cow and that's cake!!
Folks didn't want some of these pairs/cows. They just didn't want em.
But heck, their calves are black hided and pretty decent calves!!
I do plan on selling several of them. Ol Big Sexy done got everyone bred except my 2 latest calvers I reckon. I'd be looking at a new bull for this late fall after the ones at the lease place have calved.
Appreciate your thoughts, my friend!!

So I did this today too......
Shes HALF HOLSTEIN!!
I'm guessing hereford sired. She came in with her mom and grandma and a couple other holsteins. She a 4 year old. 3 months bred. I'll bring her home late this fall. Because if she does what I think she will do............
I LIKE her! When I was a boy and there were lots of dairies around here
, you would see a lot of these. Thy bred the heifers to Jersey bulls,, Angus, and
Herefords.. Did they tell you what she was bred to?

I LIKE her! When I was a boy and there were lots of dairies around here
, you would see a lot of these. Thy bred the heifers to Jersey bulls,, Angus, and
Herefords.. Did they tell you what she was bred to?
Unfortunately no. But she will be along about Christmas time maybe! Always a fun surprise!

No hail last nite. But plenty more rain! Still loving that. It'll take quite some time for that to wear off of me. Been without water since about August. Some folks are already complaining. I tell em to shut they $&%@ mouths!!
20230616_064819.jpg20230616_064822.jpg20230616_065235.jpg
Jim only wanted half a bottle this morning. He seemed content so I gave the other half to Sandy and give her a lil feed while she was still hungry. We will see how that goes.

Unfortunately no. But she will be along about Christmas time maybe! Always a fun surprise!

Jim only wanted half a bottle this morning. He seemed content so I gave the other half to Sandy and give her a lil feed while she was still hungry. We will see how that goes.
Breed her to the Brangus you gonna get, and you will have some nice Black Baldies for sale! Or AI, her to the sexed Brahma semen like you will your Jerseys, and you will get some fancy F1 Braford type heifers!

So I went ahead and did it!
Jim and Sandy are on Bessie now. Her other 2 calves are a little over 3 months old and being weaned. They'll go to feed/grass with Bessie's other calf I pulled a few weeks ago.
And I'm good! I only have enough milk replacer for MAYBE one bottle!! That NEVER happens. I've always got milk left and then I end up with another baby. It's a cycle I've been stuck in for years. 😆
20230620_064448.jpg

Wow, that corn is something. Here, most corn is about 6-12 inches tall. Haven't seen any fields with it more than a foot. And that is all around, not just close, as I travel 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours around for testing. It has been too cool and dry and things are just sitting.
Got rain last night, first to measure in weeks, and rain all through the week. Will be some low lying flooding some places I am sure, but it is very welcome here. Not done with first cutting hay but what is off will grow back 2nd cutting good with this rain.

Jan, I was going to comment the same thing about the corn. WOW - that is really looking great. I saw 1 field that was maybe 18" - everything else smaller. I was AMAZED the corn even broke thru the ground. This land is "designed" to be watered every 3-5 days. We were like concrete - even had cracks in the ground - that NEVER happens out here. Like you, we started out soooo cold, then soooo dry.
I have a Red Maple tree (mature) that grew leaves that were about 3-4" and they got frozen - dead. Luckily, tree finally sprouted new leaves. NEVER saw that happen. That's how cold and hard frosts we got - LATE. Fortunately, we have broken our drought (for now). Been getting rain on and off past week. Started the night after finishing our 1st cutting.

The black one aint got no sale sticker...😜

Another freebie a neighbor dropped off!😆
Actually.........
They came off 2 different old cows. Red bull. Black heifer. Both are 85lbs.
Funny funny here... I went out for a smoke and upon walking back thru the door all I saw was 85lbs on the screen and a red butt/tail headed outta the ring. I just raised my ✋. My buddy just laughed. I said what did I just buy? Idk he said. Baby calf. 🤣 🤣 🤣
20230827_073930.jpg
They are going on Eleanor!

Neighbors lil red baldy sired by Big Sexy.
Rosie wouldn't accept her after she claimed another cows calf for her own. So they raised her on a bottle. I think this is one they are gonna keep and breed.
This black one was NOT a bottle baby.
Screenshot_20231207-215047_Messages.jpg
Here's Rosie's baby. They call her Cindy. Short for me making fun of her and calling her Cinderella. 🤣
Screenshot_20231207-214952_Messages.jpg

I don't think she belongs where she's at???
You're so right! I was moving the herd thru the yard to our south pasture (the quickest route) and there was some nice grass up around the house. At least they are smart enough not to jump from there.

Attachments

• IMG_0435.jpeg
    IMG_0435.jpeg
    388 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts