Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

Is it possible that Big Sexy isn't the sire? Red cow and red bull equal red calf. Maybe the calf is just very dark red?
Nope. He's 1oo% the sire.
Have the date saved somewhere when he was on her. No other bull here.

Sevens mama was a great big black simangus cow. Seven was a twin heifer.
Seven has the black gene for sure. She's really brown like her sire. That bull was chianina influenced.

Im gonna try and get everyone caught tonight and works the 3 calves. Hopefully all come in

He was super cheap.
Most bottle calves are 300 and up here lately. He was near 1/3 that today. Just got lucky.

If I bottle him, it'll cost 200 in milk to get him to feed and grass. Then feed for quite a while.

If I stick him on Bessie tho...... she has one calf I can pull off of her now. I already pulled one off. So she will just have her own calf and this one. And she does it without feed! Just grass.

If I pull the big jersey steer of Eleanor, I can put Sandy on her. Then no more more milk replacer costs for either. Eleanor eats a lot of feed. But she's rasing 3.

I've almost always got milk replacer around here. I can never seem to run out of replacer the same time I graft calves to nurse cows. 😆
I've got enough to last these 2 thru the weekend I think. Strongly considering pulling one calf from each cow and replacing em with these 2 new ones

These jerseys are the most profitable cows I own I do believe. And they allow me so much flexibility with baby calves. I used to buy lil 50 dollar calves and the jerseys would get em going. Once the calves were about 2 or 3 weeks old, they brought 300 pretty easy. I've flipped a bunch that way. Bessie ran 11 or 13 of em like that one year. I can't remember specifics. It's in her thread somewhere.

O yeah!!
Could've bought 3 lil black heifers for 100 each today too. I can't make enough time to do em all at once tho.
What brand of milk replacer do you use?. Was getting the Dumor brand from tractor supply but on this calf I'm using Land o Lakes brand from my farmers coop .

What brand of milk replacer do you use?. Was getting the Dumor brand from tractor supply but on this calf I'm using Land o Lakes brand from my farmers coop .
I used to use the ultra 24 from atwoods. All I find it in now is small bags.

I've switched to the dumor 20/20 non medicated ALL MILK PROTEIN formula.
I had good luck with it!

Now I just let the cows feed em!
😏

My bottle baby is sure all grown up. This is her 2nd calf and she's doing a fine job!
Yes. She skipped half a season. (June or July last calf) 20240307_170943.jpgPartly my fault. But it put her on schedule for March anyway. I didn't like it, but now I do. I have confidence she will breed up on time this go round.
Her udder reminds so much of her mama.
Screenshot_20240307-172605_Gallery.jpg
This lil heifer is sure enough on my list to retain.

Last edited:
Good luck with it! Generally, contracted tendons straighten out on their own, especially if you work with the calf. You can apply splints (even getting creative with pool noodles), but that's for an extreme case. I've only had a few and gave them a shot of Vitamin B Complex for energy.

Good luck with it! Generally, contracted tendons straighten out on their own, especially if you work with the calf. You can apply splints (even getting creative with pool noodles), but that's for an extreme case. I've only had a few and gave them a shot of Vitamin B Complex for energy.
Calf cannot get on its front feet. I've been messing with him a bit. BUT he has nursed somehow. Yeller poop gives it away!
I'm concerned mama won't take him back after he's mobile. Buddy wants me to bottle him a bit until he up and about. This is sounding like a train wreck to me. We shall see.

He moves around a bit on his front knees. If I assist him, and put him on his front feet he pretty much collapses.

He is a very large framed calf. I'm guessing cramped up in the womb.

Notice how his right front seems to point towards his left inwards. I won't give up. Hoping for the best.

I've read several things on these forums about this. From "benign neglect" to splinting the front legs. I'm gonna bottle a bit and see what happens without much assistance for now. I'm optimistic that he will come along just fine that way. The biggest issue is, will mama take him back after he's mobile???
my buddy has NO facilities at this place. Very remote. 🤞
20240315_175303.jpg20240315_173954.jpg20240315_173729.jpg

Latest posts