Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

His legs and umbilical were two different issues. My guess is, while he was sucking (you said he had sucked), he fell down or knocked over and dam stepped on him.
"Normally" legs like that will straighten out by themselves - especially if the calf gets to remain with the dam.
You did all that you could do.

His legs and umbilical were two different issues. My guess is, while he was sucking (you said he had sucked), he fell down or knocked over and dam stepped on him.
"Normally" legs like that will straighten out by themselves - especially if the calf gets to remain with the dam.
You did all that you could do.
Yep. Two seperate issues for sure.

He was just getting up on the front tip toes too. Poor lil guy.

Yep. Two seperate issues for sure.

He was just getting up on the front tip toes too. Poor lil guy.
I went to the sale today to see if I might run up on a nurse cow for coach. Two 3-day old Jersy bull calves sold for $60 each. A black bull calf the same age and size, brought $110, Then a black steer calf that was 200- 250 lbs... brought $810.00!!! They had sold pairs first, and this calf was part of an Angus pair.. cow was 1400-someting pounds. The man paid $2300 for them. When they started out of the ring, the buyer said " Sell that calf while it is in the ring". The auctioneer said " We will just put it in the bottle calf pen". An hour later that calf brought the $810.00 And the buyer had a 1400 pound, 4 yr old cow for $1500! Cull cows were bringing $1.15 to $1.40, so he could have weighed her today too, and made a nice profit on the pair.

I went to the sale today to see if I might run up on a nurse cow for coach. Two 3-day old Jersy bull calves sold for $60 each. A black bull calf the same age and size, brought $110, Then a black steer calf that was 200- 250 lbs... brought $810.00!!! They had sold pairs first, and this calf was part of an Angus pair.. cow was 1400-someting pounds. The man paid $2300 for them. When they started out of the ring, the buyer said " Sell that calf while it is in the ring". The auctioneer said " We will just put it in the bottle calf pen". An hour later that calf brought the $810.00 And the buyer had a 1400 pound, 4 yr old cow for $1500! Cull cows were bringing $1.15 to $1.40, so he could have weighed her today too, and made a nice profit on the pair.
And that is why they split a lot of pairs here!

Im gonna bet he did weigh her. Out of his name into a slaughterhouse name. Probably at a good profit.

Latest posts