Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

If you have him more than 2-4 days, it is very unlikely she will take him back...
To make it easy on yourself and him... put him over a sq bale so his weight is not all on the front legs if they want to give out.... when you lift him and such...
BoSe, B complex, and see... I think that a few days and he might straighten up as his muscles and all get some room to stretch out and such... I agree that he might have just been crowded in there...

If you have him more than 2-4 days, it is very unlikely she will take him back...
To make it easy on yourself and him... put him over a sq bale so his weight is not all on the front legs if they want to give out.... when you lift him and such...
BoSe, B complex, and see... I think that a few days and he might straighten up as his muscles and all get some room to stretch out and such... I agree that he might have just been crowded in there...
Square bale! Perfect.
Speaking of which. This calf was born sometime tween late Wednesday night and this afternoon. BUT! His umbilical is missing!!! Way too early for that. And it really concerns me about allowing infection in. Special care this one is gonna need, I'm afraid.

And o yes. If I get him on his front feet, he just wants to crumple up and fall.

Edited to add...
I'm seriously thinking of all kind of things. Bet he was born rear feet first too. That could also explain the missing umbilical.
After the last fiasco, I'm paying extra attention to umbi's

Those nuckled under front legs are Super common in big calves, I've had a Lot of calves like that, put them over a square bale while you feed, so you don't have to hold them up and feed them at the same time. A shot of Bo-SE may help. I generally give it, if I don't know their history. I've Never splinted one, usually 24to48 hour's after being born they're generally getting around good. I tell anyone who has a calf with twisted or knuckled legs, Don't give up on them and if you get tired of messing with it call me. And more often than not, I end up with a calf that by the time they're a week or less old you can't tell they were ever like that. Generally 2 days.

Those nuckled under front legs are Super common in big calves, I've had a Lot of calves like that, put them over a square bale while you feed, so you don't have to hold them up and feed them at the same time. A shot of Bo-SE may help. I generally give it, if I don't know their history. I've Never splinted one, usually 24to48 hour's after being born they're generally getting around good. I tell anyone who has a calf with twisted or knuckled legs, Don't give up on them and if you get tired of messing with it call me. And more often than not, I end up with a calf that by the time they're a week or less old you can't tell they were ever like that. Generally 2 days.
Thanks! That gives me a bunch of hope. I just figured I'd let it nurse laying down. I just happen to have a nice square bale by the pen!

This calf is very large framed. Lots of leg. And pretty long. And from a big cow at that.
Just had to be a cramped prior living space!
🤣

I'll definitely update. Hope to see him on his feet by end of weekend.

The worst one I had the front hooves were almost backwards twisted inwards. I don't remember how long until she could stand on her own. I know by 3 months of age her legs were straight, she was a pistol I could walk anywhere with her, and she wouldn't leave me.
Yeah.....
I've got a strong feeling this calf is gonna end up being mine. We will certainly try to reunite with its mama. Time to "on his feet" depending

Well. The square bale was definitely a life saver. Thanks @farmerjan and @Hereford2 !

Took him a while to decide to drink from a bottle. But I got almost a full bottle in him. Worked his feet a bit and helped him get righted. We did our exercises and he was pooped!
20240316_094332.jpg
20240316_094340.jpg
20240316_103016.jpg20240316_105356.jpg
He doesn't care much for me fooling with his feet. But u can feel they are tight when you try to straighten them out. He will come along I think.
My buddy don't wanna fool with bringing mama here. Would have to rent a corral for that place. I've got a feeling I'm gonna have to buy this bull calf.

Last edited:
Well. The square bale was definitely a life saver. Thanks @farmerjan and @Hereford2 !

Took him a while to decide to drink from a bottle. But I got almost a full bottle in him. Worked his feet a bit and helped him get righted. We did our exercises and he was pooped!

He doesn't care much for me fooling with his feet. But u can feel they are tight when you try to straighten them out. He will come along I think.
My buddy don't wanna fool with bringing mama here. Would have to rent a corral for that place. I've got a feeling I'm gonna have to buy this bull calf.
Well, you need to keep up with your time fooling with him, to charge off against the price he would ask. The time and effort that you are putting in has a dollar value. So does the time he is not having to put in. This calf wouldn't be worth a dime, if not for you and what you are doing.

Well, you need to keep up with your time fooling with him, to charge off against the price he would ask. The time and effort that you are putting in has a dollar value. So does the time he is not having to put in. This calf wouldn't be worth a dime, if not for you and what you are doing.
I agree. I don't mind helping a brother out. We always work out a fair deal if it comes to it. Last one I got from him (twin) was 50 bucks. 😆

I agree. I don't mind helping a brother out. We always work out a fair deal if it comes to it. Last one I got from him (twin) was 50 bucks. 😆
I was gonna say...if this was my calf, I would just give it to you. But $50, is practically giving it to you. Have y'all banded it yet?

I was gonna say...if this was my calf, I would just give it to you. But $50, is practically giving it to you. Have y'all banded it yet?
We have not.
Debating on it. Don't wanna stress him any more than need be right now. IF he becomes my calf, he will be a steer in short order

This one has a problem.
His lack of umbilical has had me concerned from day one. It's either herniated or infected. He winces pretty hard when feeling of it. And it's rather large and bulbous. Does not feel hot. My buddy didn't want to put any money into the vet bill so he's no longer his.

Going to the vet tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can save him.

This one has a problem.
His lack of umbilical has had me concerned from day one. It's either herniated or infected. He winces pretty hard when feeling of it. And it's rather large and bulbous. Does not feel hot. My buddy didn't want to put any money into the vet bill so he's no longer his.

Going to the vet tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can save him.
Glad he's yours now. Hope the vet can get him going and you can get him raised and make a profit still. Keep us posted please.

Yep.
That umbilical had me worried from the beginning. The entire area was super swollen this morning. And he went downhill pretty fast. Nothing the vet could do for him.
Every time I hear about a calf with a short, swollen umbilical I wonder about navel ill. That's why people had their calving seasons when the pastures were frozen and clean.

Every time I hear about a calf with a short, swollen umbilical I wonder about navel ill. That's why people had their calving seasons when the pastures were frozen and clean.
I've seen it a couple times now. Terrible way to go too. I almost put him down last night but he was alert and bright eyed. Thought it would be worth a trip to the vet.
Hard to say exactly what happened. But that was definitely the issue of some sort.
Glad it wasn't a purchased calf. Coarse, I'd have not bought one like that anyway.

I've seen it a couple times now. Terrible way to go too. I almost put him down last night but he was alert and bright eyed. Thought it would be worth a trip to the vet.
Hard to say exactly what happened. But that was definitely the issue of some sort.
Glad it wasn't a purchased calf. Coarse, I'd have not bought one like that anyway.
So sorry!

Latest posts