Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

Same neighbors calf ate his share of penicillin. I wasn't there for the specifics but that's what I was told. I'm still in disbelief. I mean it was like 3 hours. SO WEIRD!
I'd a dang sure tubed him had I thought that's what was up. Every one I've seen bloated up, is lethargic and very uncomfortable looking for quite a while.
I've seen it happen incredibly fast. Never had any luck with a tube either, as you can't get a tube into the abomasum.

There is an antitoxin for Type C & D, don't know if one is available for A (most common). But you have to have it on hand & administer at the first sign. Well, the first sign is usually a dead calf. With the exception of @Silver, who is a rock star and continues to amaze me. Well done!

There is an antitoxin for Type C & D, don't know if one is available for A (most common). But you have to have it on hand & administer at the first sign. Well, the first sign is usually a dead calf. With the exception of @Silver, who is a rock star and continues to amaze me. Well done!
I usually only report on the ones I save :sneaky:

Sorry, good looking little guy. I liked him. I read the disease thing that TC posted. There are a few things for me to do better next time. Better luck next time

That's a tough one-sorry @MurraysMutts. Those bottle calves always seem to bloom with your guidance. Tough to lose.
May I ask a dumb question? I've never had success getting a bottle fed calf to go to starter (they start eating hay instead). I'd put the pelleted started in its mouth, put milk powder over the starter, put milk in with the starter, put the calf in a pen by itself with just the starter, etc. I'd appreciate anyone who could help me out with this.

May I ask a dumb question? I've never had success getting a bottle fed calf to go to starter (they start eating hay instead). I'd put the pelleted started in its mouth, put milk powder over the starter, put milk in with the starter, put the calf in a pen by itself with just the starter, etc. I'd appreciate anyone who could help me out with this.
A lot depends on how old they are and if THEY are ready.

I've had em eat feed from day 1! I've also had some that were perfectly content with a bottle and picking on some grass or hay. Calf manna seems to pique their interest too. And the smaller pelleted type feeds. As well as a textured high grain sweet feed have worked well for me.. However! My friend down the road, started his on premium Bermuda hay and bottles. The goal after all is to get em processing grass like they were designed to do. Least that's what he told me.... 😆
His have done well.

I had the best luck, penning mine tight. 10x10 pen. Water. No bottle! When they started eating feed, I resumed regular bottles and cut em back to 1 bottle a day for quite a while.

After 3 weeks on a bottle, I switch a calf to pail feeding milk. My calves get used to drinking milk from a pail and become interested in their other pails... a pellet pail and a water pail. There is hay available, too.

@MurraysMutts
How do you typically manage transitioning bottle calves to pasture? I've got one 3 months old now, 230 lbs she's taking about 15 lbs of starter daily, and some hay. I dropped back to 2- half bottles daily a few weeks ago. She's gaining well.
I'm shooting to get her on grass and hay alone in next couple weeks

@MurraysMutts
How do you typically manage transitioning bottle calves to pasture? I've got one 3 months old now, 230 lbs she's taking about 15 lbs of starter daily, and some hay. I dropped back to 2- half bottles daily a few weeks ago. She's gaining well.
I'm shooting to get her on grass and hay alone in next couple weeks
You could probly stop bottle feeding. I usually cut mine to one bottle a day by the time you are speaking of.
As much feed as yours is eating, should be good to go. I keep feeding mine until at least 6 or 8 months of age tho.
When you transition to fresh spring growth grass pasture, I'd gradually reduce the feed over several weeks and watch the calf until its off feed.

This has worked well for me.

I had one a couple years ago I raised up and got on feed. I told the folks that took their calf, that it would HAVE to have feed still for at least 2 more months. (They just didn't have time to bottle it)
Well, they never fed it the feed and it died a few weeks after they took it home. Consistency is a key element. Gradual changes are much better when transitioning. Filled up on grass and got big as a barrel on poor quality pasture. Just couldn't get the nutrients required from their grass.

Neighbor/friend had a set of twins.
Says they are 40lbs each tops!

We will see what tmrw brings.

He's been watching them for hours. One nursed mama. The other got a half bottle of colostrum.

Go check out Bessies thread.....
This is the newborn Twin, heifer born with a bull calf 😔
View attachment 14543
Being a tiny tiny twin, I expect the underbite is probly normal..... 😁
According to the veterinary books I have read, underbite is never "normal." As a twin, she was likely undernourished in the womb and having the consequent mineral deficiencies caused the premaxillary bone to be underdeveloped.

According to the veterinary books I have read, underbite is never "normal." As a twin, she was likely undernourished in the womb and having the consequent mineral deficiencies caused the premaxillary bone to be underdeveloped.
Interesting.
Shes certainly a vigorous lil thing for only being 40lbs. Follows my nurse cow all over. Nurses excellently!

Her brother appeared a bit bigger. He doesn't weigh his calves...

We will see how she does. Came from a neighbors cow that he bought at the sale barn. She was supposed to be open. He bought her as a pair with a good sized bull calf. Calf sold quite a while back.
She had to have been bred about 30 days according to his records.
No other history on the animals tho

Latest posts