Bottle calf! Some say I'm crazy...

Help Support CattleToday:

@J Hoy
These 2 are great!
The bwf is 95 lbs
The rwf not far behind that.
Nurse a bottle great!

But not anymore......

I'll give yall a snapshot and I'm gonna go make a new thread. How bout that, @farmerjan And all u milk folks.....

She was milked this morning.
View attachment 15105
This reminds me of our old jersey Bessie that we used for bottle calves. Raised a big buddy off of her named Boulee that made for the best steaks. Good times, except for when my grandfather said I should also try milk off the teat.

Don't try it.

This reminds me of our old jersey Bessie that we used for bottle calves. Raised a big buddy off of her named Boulee that made for the best steaks. Good times, except for when my grandfather said I should also try milk off the teat.

Don't try it.
Haha!
Bessie has her own thread..

In the milk section.

And now Brandy does too!

Murry - 95# is pretty normal for me - well not ME, my cows - LOL Most are in the 80's but not uncommon to have a few over 100#. If we have a 65# calf, nephew goes in and checks for a 2nd calf. Heck, most our twins will run close to 80#. Northern cold temps cause higher BW - but my cows spit them out.
Your calves are going to love your cow!!

Murry - 95# is pretty normal for me - well not ME, my cows - LOL Most are in the 80's but not uncommon to have a few over 100#. If we have a 65# calf, nephew goes in and checks for a 2nd calf. Heck, most our twins will run close to 80#. Northern cold temps cause higher BW - but my cows spit them out.
Your calves are going to love your cow!!
It's what you quoted, it's recorded amongst all animals. Past the 3-4th gen, body mass increases or hair lengthens to absorb sun in hard winter climates.

No More bottle feeding for a while. Brandy has the new ones taken care of. Tho I'm gonna miss bottling the bwf. She's a sweetheart. Not as sweet as Lil 'Nuf but I'm of a mind she's gonna be a cow. And after trying to keep seven outta my way while working, moving animals, maybe it's for the best she's not a pet!

Seven will be along with her first calf one of these days!

And why is it I've ALWAYS got a bag of milk?
I ALMOST timed this one perfect, but I had to buy a bag for 2 feedings b4 my new cow arrived. 😆 such is life...

I started a 17 day old calf on the bottle today (long story, might start a thread about it) and I was actually thinking I should time her because I've never seen it done so fast lol

Do you actually time how long it takes for a calf to suck??

I started a 17 day old calf on the bottle today (long story, might start a thread about it) and I was actually thinking I should time her because I've never seen it done so fast lol

I timed this one for the same reason!
Last one I had that was a super sucker was Willie. He's in this thread somewhere. I'm gonna go back a ways and see what he did.

Edited to add..
First post on page 4!
This'n beat Willie by a full minute!!!

Some calves really really pound a bottle down!!

Silver! Would love to see a thread about your bottle calf!

Last edited:
So my daughter just got back from the barn and claims 1 minute 53 seconds. We're closing in on you. I think if I put a air valve in the bottle we can shave off quite a bit of time. The little bugger totally collapses that bottle lol
The vents are bad about clogging up.
Most of mine are opened up with a toothpick and/or a razor etc.

I didn't time him tonight, but for some reason he has been spending a bit of time fiddling around! He LOVES to bump the bottle. Really slows ya down when ya gotta grab a flying bottle outta the air!! As hard as he bumps, I bet the cow was glad to be rid of him. 😆

Latest posts