Borrowed neighbors bull

Help Support CattleToday:

If you're genuinely thankful, your neighbor will be able to tell. Sometimes that in itself is enough. Some people just enjoy helping others. I know I do bc plenty of people have helped me along the way. Any groceries such as meat or jellies or the likes around the holidays will certainly be put to good use. If it's homemade then it adds even more of a personal touch.

ChrisB":2sl1ubum said:
Or you could make a donation in their name to the Human Fund. ;-)
Ha yes Costanza was brilliant...or i could name a star after them. :lol:

Bestoutwest":s6qcbq3s said:
Find out what they're into. My neighbor is really into wine. I know that I can always get him a bottle after he helps on something. Also, we had a neighbor plow us out with his tractor one winter. He never sent a bill, but it's not free to do that. I sent him a check for $100, and probably underpaid. He cashed the check and we've never talked about it, but I know that it meant a lot to him.

Great ideas! Thanks! I'm sure your neighbor really appreciated the check. :D

JMJ Farms":lmvgzfhq said:
If you're genuinely thankful, your neighbor will be able to tell. Sometimes that in itself is enough. Some people just enjoy helping others. I know I do bc plenty of people have helped me along the way. Any groceries such as meat or jellies or the likes around the holidays will certainly be put to good use. If it's homemade then it adds even more of a personal touch.
I agree - I'm pretty sure they know how thankful we are for all their help but I'm sure some homemade goodies would convince them even more. Thanks for the idea.

wbvs58 said:
Just a small token gift would suffice. He would probably prefer to have you use his bull than have an underutilised bull of yours looking to get in with his cows and wanting to fight his bulls.

Ken[/quote

Agreed! Hadn't thought of that.

MtnCows93":1n4487ic said:
anything is good, i had a similar situation with my neighbor helping me out and took a entire day with my texas fence fixer( barbwire tightener) and got his old barbwire fence in good shape. that tool is awesome btw. he didnt want anything in return but it made me feel good doing that for him
That was really cool of you to do that - I'll have to check it out!

Wow! So many great ideas and I loved reading the stories about neighbors helping neighbors...that's what it's all about! I really appreciate Y'all taking the time to give me ideas...my wheels are turning now. :)

bball":1zwrdy97 said:
He's a heck of a good guy. Also has 3 older hog barns that he raises hogs in. Foul smelling business.
Nose blindness.
Had a cousin raised on a hog farm and he honestly didn't know hogs smelled until he went away to college and returned. Mink farming is worse, the oils get in your skin and won't wash away for weeks. Combined with nose blindness can be very embarrassing.

A sincere "thank you" and simply returning the favor goes a long way - that's what makes good neighbors. That said, one of our neighbors bought me a pair of goat skin work gloves after I took care of his cattle for a week. One of the most thoughtful gifts I have ever received! Who, in the world of farming/ranching, doesn't always need good gloves?

Son of Butch":2wbmklon said:
bball":2wbmklon said:
He's a heck of a good guy. Also has 3 older hog barns that he raises hogs in. Foul smelling business.
Nose blindness.
Had a cousin raised on a hog farm and he honestly didn't know hogs smelled until he went away to college and returned. Mink farming is worse, the oils get in your skin and won't wash away for weeks. Combined with nose blindness can be very embarrassing.

i went in a 1100 hod house with just piglets and when I came home I had to shower and change all my clothes I stunk so bad.. Just for a few minutes standing in there.

ddd75":uzt1ncp6 said:
Son of Butch":uzt1ncp6 said:
bball":uzt1ncp6 said:
Nose blindness.

i went in a 1100 hod house with just piglets and when I came home I had to shower and change all my clothes I stunk so bad.. Just for a few minutes standing in there.
Yep, then skin a few and even when you think you got it all out of your clothes and off yourself, days later the woman in line next to you at the grocery store will beg to differ. :)

Son of Butch":26m6ytz5 said:
bball":26m6ytz5 said:
Nose blindness.
My son hates the smell of dairies, but I tell him it's just the smell of money.

TC has a good idea. The value of the gift doesn't matter but buying something really nice that someone usually won't buy for themselves is the best gift.

Oh by the way, A Texas Fence tightener would be a good gift. They are very handy in the right situation like when a tree falls on the fence. My mother in law gave me one years ago and I thought it was a gimmick but I love the little tool.

Son of Butch":240j6x72 said:
ddd75":240j6x72 said:
Son of Butch":240j6x72 said:
Nose blindness.

Yep, then skin a few and even when you think you got it all out of your clothes and off yourself, days later the woman in line next to you at the grocery store will beg to differ. :)

I made the mistake of walking into the house after checking hogs once....just once! Mama bear let me know that will never happen again!

We do something similar by borrowing a bull from the neighbor. He always brings us his best and always fanatic calves. He always tells me I'm doing him the favor by feeding his big a$$ in the middle of winter. I have borrowed many things from the neighbors and a homemade pie sure goes straight to the heart. Wife loves to make pies so I put her on the case when I need it. I have used the pies for everything from borrowing equipment to hunting permission. Every old farmer loves a homemade pie!

Latest posts