Borrowed bull

Help Support CattleToday:

My AI guy is coming to start synchronized AI on our milk cow. We will definately lute rhe little black heifer. I handled her a lot this weekend, she is tiny. We are debating using Angus or Jersey on her.

What traits make you think Fleckvieh? In my mind, anything with that coloration is hereford.

bja105":iz96m4zy said:
My AI guy is coming to start synchronized AI on our milk cow. We will definately lute rhe little black heifer. I handled her a lot this weekend, she is tiny. We are debating using Angus or Jersey on her.

What traits make you think Fleckvieh? In my mind, anything with that coloration is hereford.
So you'll breed her to an Angus bull but not a Hereford bull?

Muddy":3ess3t7s said:
So you'll breed her to an Angus bull but not a Hereford bull?

I was thinking a known calving ease Angus sire instead of an unknown sale barn bull that looks like a Hereford to me. Am I wrong? I have a week to decide on semen. The AI tech who is also a dairy man seemed to think the Angus he had is a no brainer. I have time, so set me straight if I am very wrong. Thanks

I just want to point out that when you cross beef bulls and milk cows you're getting bigger calves, period. Doesn't matter if it's an Angus with a thousand tiny calves to its name.

WRFarms":35ry3pjh said:
I just want to point out that when you cross beef bulls and milk cows you're getting bigger calves, period.
Doesn't matter if it's an Angus with a thousand tiny calves to its name.
Wrong answer
Breeding Holstein cow x Holstein bull gives you a bigger calf than breeding holstein x angus bull.
Breeding Holstein heifers to angus bulls for calving ease was extremely popular 60 years ago a few dairymen still do it.

i dont see how you guys are judging by that pic you can barely see the heifer you cant tell how big or small she is, bja105 how much does that heifer weigh? if you had to guess

Latest posts