bloodless dehorning on mature cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Jimmie Bauer

Reaction score
I am asking for some feedback on banding the horns on mature cattle. My father told me about it when I was young. Each horn is banded and the blood supply is cut off. I saw an article on using a metal band on each horn on the internet.
I have a great cow, but she is deadly with her horns. All my other horned Dexters are not as aggresive as she is.

I'm not familiar with this method. I have had the vet out to do a cosmetic (surgical) horn removal on older heifers. About a 1 hour procedure, minimal stress on the animal, very little blood loss.

cowboy13":2p6dxt3p said:
SF":2p6dxt3p said:
kaneranch":2p6dxt3p said:
How much does that procedure cost?

The last one I had done was about $200

You got screwed. I'd have never paid that.

No I didn't. I'm happy with the job that was done. I knew up front what the cost would be. I didn't get screwed. I knew what I was getting into and what I would be paying. Happy you got it done cheaper.

cowboy13":3h33lsj3 said:
SF":3h33lsj3 said:
cowboy13":3h33lsj3 said:
SF":3h33lsj3 said:
kaneranch":3h33lsj3 said:
How much does that procedure cost?

The last one I had done was about $200

You got screwed. I'd have never paid that.

No I didn't. I'm happy with the job that was done. I knew up front what the cost would be. I didn't get screwed. I knew what I was getting into and what I would be paying. Happy you got it done cheaper.

Sorry if I sounded rude. :oops: I would spend it for a show calf, just not a pasture animal.

I agree

Latest posts