Thought on this calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Has he been clipped for show? He looks groomed.

High tailhead, and the wildest cattle I've had have all had face marking similar to that. Pretty, but it always seems like the even colored animals have the fight or flight response close to the surface.
Yes he has been clipped but he is Not groomed

Hard to tell in pics but for a show steer I find him a bit flat muscled, short necked and in the walking pic he appears to roach up on the top line. I like my show steers to have a bit more show presence so to me they hold that head carriage nice and high even in the pen on the profile- I like the head to come off nice and showy, high off the shoulder's angle - proud like. This boy seems to not hold that head high enough for me and it may go back to the short neck I noticed. He does have a clean front it appears, pretty head and nice ears. The owner has worked his hair so that helps and maybe the flatness is in the clipping style. The chrome is flashy but in the meat and potatoes he could have a bit more substance to work with. Again hard to tell in pictures and I hope I did not discourage and wasn't too critical.😊

Hard to tell from the pictures but he looks real strait in the rear, a good rule when picking a calf is start at the feet, watch them walk, if they have issues walking it will only get worse as they put on weight. Standing, his topline looks fine but next to the Char calf he does appear to be narrow made, would like to see more width in his stance, all his toes point forward and that is a good thing. If he is already yours, then I would say pour the feed to him and make sure he gets out and moves everyday and give him a good joint supplement to keep him as sound as you can, if he is not yours yet you might look some more.

here is one in the same price range that sold yesterday I think he went for 3000, for a lot of county fairs the first calf would do good,

Attachments

• socked 2.jpg
    socked 2.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 9
  • socked steer.jpg
    socked steer.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Latest posts