Thoughts on this clubby show heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Things affecting show success - selection of the calf, preparation of the calf, presentation of the calf, the judge, the competition. And goals and attitude.

Selection of the calf - has the "look", no major defects (or minor as the competition increases), good structure. People can spend tens of thousands on a calf and not meet their goal.

Preparation - feeding the calf, not too much, not too little, the right feeding program, the right hair program. The one's receiving the banners at major shows are probably compromised in future productivity due to over-conditioning.

Presentation - clipping, fitting, hundreds to thousands spent on spray cans and bottles of magic solutions, setting up, stopping correctly, smooth movements, ears, and a lot more.

The judge - differences in what they are looking for, they may have "friends" showing in your class, hard to prepare for the judge, concentrate on your calf and yourself, listen to what the judge says, watch prior classes

The competition - the old thing about not needing to outrun the bear chasing you, just need to outrun your friend that the bear is also chasing. Quality of competition can vary greatly depending on the show. Major shows will have heavy competition. Be realistic about that.

Summary - For youngsters, showing is mostly about you, not the calf. Learning life skills like responsibility, preparation, communication, competition, work ethics, thrill of victory (maybe) and the agony of defeat (sometimes), making friends and enjoying life. Real "winning" is not about how the calf placed, it is about personal growth and development.

They just want 2500$ I though she was pretty nice but what do I know 😂 she would be for my next show year
In TX you have lots of great people to mentor you.....Jon Gevelinger, Tony Austin, Brandon Horn, Brian Martin, Bobby Newman, Tony Jeffs, Jeff Jackson, Travis Otterstad, Baylor Bonham. Call them up and have a conversation about what you are looking for and what you can spend. Don't be afraid to offer some fitting help at the next major (they always need help) in exchange for some credit. Some are crooks but most are eager to help. If you are clear about your expectations you will learn very quickly if they want to work with you or not. Don't be scared off by the prices you see them selling cattle for. They always have back pasture specials or know where to find one. Winning is the best advertisement for them. Good Luck.

Things affecting show success - selection of the calf, preparation of the calf, presentation of the calf, the judge, the competition. And goals and attitude.

Selection of the calf - has the "look", no major defects (or minor as the competition increases), good structure. People can spend tens of thousands on a calf and not meet their goal.

Preparation - feeding the calf, not too much, not too little, the right feeding program, the right hair program. The one's receiving the banners at major shows are probably compromised in future productivity due to over-conditioning.

Presentation - clipping, fitting, hundreds to thousands spent on spray cans and bottles of magic solutions, setting up, stopping correctly, smooth movements, ears, and a lot more.

The judge - differences in what they are looking for, they may have "friends" showing in your class, hard to prepare for the judge, concentrate on your calf and yourself, listen to what the judge says, watch prior classes

The competition - the old thing about not needing to outrun the bear chasing you, just need to outrun your friend that the bear is also chasing. Quality of competition can vary greatly depending on the show. Major shows will have heavy competition. Be realistic about that.

Summary - For youngsters, showing is mostly about you, not the calf. Learning life skills like responsibility, preparation, communication, competition, work ethics, thrill of victory (maybe) and the agony of defeat (sometimes), making friends and enjoying life. Real "winning" is not about how the calf placed, it is about personal growth and development.
Few years ago i was approached to send a hiefer to a show to make an impact with number of studs and animals. I had one in the paddock so got her clipped up and sent her down, went up against 26 heifers. Won her class and then went on to win junior champion hiefer. I never gave it much thought how much effort people put in preparing their animals.

After a week at the show she came back a little worse for wear and definitely over people. She has been inseminated three times by a dodgy a.i. man (me) for three calves. Wish they were all that good. Funny thing is, i don't even rate her very highly in my herd.

I had fun no doubt met some very nice people but there are also some extremely snooty people over here I unfortunately don't believe in hiring a fitter because the calf is MY project I'm learning how to fit myself the heifer I showed last year which was my first year was a red angus heifer who I was assured by the breeders was just so amazing the breeders are judges so I thought she would do great! Nope 👎 not great I see adults doing alllllllll the clipping and fitting at shows that is unfair imo against people who actually bust it with their own cattle I'm not trying to be a brat and say "well if they won they must've cheated!" I'm just venting thanks for everyone's replies I appreciate all sides of input!

Do you have a particular breed in mind? I have a friend that routinely wins at national shows with his registered Herefords. He is in Ga. It may be a little pricey though.
I wanted to try clubby heifers this year but I pretty much have my Two breeds for this year picked I appreciate it tons though! I'm gonna show a clubby cow possibly and a Brahma