show cattle cooler

Help Support CattleToday:

and grow some show hair on.
I can remember being on a beef cattle judging team in the late 60s where we looked for conformation, muscling, good feet and legs and finishing and (back then) hair thickness or color had nothing to do with awarding a champion's ribbon....

Last edited:
I can remember being on a beef cattle judging team in the late 60s where we looked for conformation, muscling, good feet and legs and finishing and (back then) hair thickness or color had nothing to do with awarding a champion's ribbon....
Unfortunately it's a different game now. A good slick haired steer is at a disadvantage to an equally good steer with show hair and a good fitting job. Some county fairs went to a slick show to try and even the playing field, but the same people win because they know how to feed and get one ready. No different with the "blow and go" shows where no fitting adhesives or paint is allowed, the people who know how to select animals, feed and work hair will win between two otherwise equally good animals.

I know now to waste my time going to a cattle show.
A good slick haired steer is at a disadvantage to an equally good steer with show hair and a good fitting job.
the people who know how to select animals, feed and work hair will win between two otherwise equally good animals.
Why? If what you're saying was true, people with superior animals would win with (edit) 'just' a good wash job and light grooming every time and no one would bother going to all the trouble and expense of doing the Kardashian fashion show thing.

Looking back at the '72 Denver Western National Big Mac debacle, I'm beginning to think that guy wasn't such a bad dude after all.

Last edited:
I know now to waste my time going to a cattle show.

Why? If what you're saying was true, people with superior animals would win with a good wash job and light grooming every time and no one would bother going to all the trouble and expense of doing the Kardashian fashion show thing.

Looking back at the '72 Denver Western National Big Mac debacle, I'm beginning to think that guy wasn't such a bad dude after all.
Hair and a good clip job hides faults. Judge's job is to evaluate and find them when comparing two or more animals. I dunno. We don't show anymore, but it was good for my kid the years we did it and he sold his steers at a premium to build up a nice college fund plus had a few cows. We didn't want to spend what it took to go big time, but knew people who did. They could have spent their money on motorcycles and boats, but they built cooler rooms and went to a jackpot most weekends. It's all good. If I go watch a show now it is usually the breed heifer shows at state fair and in everything but the Maines or Shorthorns they are pretty much slick (Herfs seem to have a little more hair). Interesting to see where a judge puts his or her priorities and whether they stay consistent through the show and across breeds if judging more than one breed. Of course I like the judges I agree with and the ones I don't are terrible judges 😁

Basically, we blow & show. In big shows, nephew & "our sponsor kids" get out the adhesive and LIGHTLY fit up the legs. Always tidy up the tailhead. It gets tough to get around some of these animals that have 5 guys working on 1 animal getting it ready to show. They can take a dog and make it look pretty darn great. Bit of cheating going on most of the time. Really depends on the judge. If they hire a real good BREED JUDGE, we can run with the best of them. But, if they hire a real CLUBBY judge, we will struggle to beat them. Clubby judges want all the hair and hoopla. Super giraffe front ends - many don't really care how they walk.

It would be a mistake to think that the champion at a cattle show is the "best" animal. Some cattle shows now are similar to the Miss American and Miss USA shows. Fillers, colors, treatments, training, lotions and concoctions, practices, smoke, mirrors, politics, presentation, perception, written and unwritten rules and more.

Local shows for 4-H, FFA and other kids teach responsibility and other life lessons - a good thing. Shows also give breeders the opportunity to present their cattle to a large audience. But, the further up you go in level of competition and "adult" open shows, sometimes the less connection there is to reality.

When the goal is to grow extreme hair in order to hide defects in the cattle, how can that be good for beef production? Some of the fluffy club calves will have so much hair that the desired "look" can be carved out with a pair of clippers. Need more width? Need more height? Need more depth? Need straighter topline or underline? Grow more hair and carve out what is needed. With the hide of the calf 1 or 2 inches deep on that carved out presentation. With enough adhesive in the hair to be a fire hazard and health hazard. No connection to reality at some point. How would that calf perform in the feed lot with heat or mud with all that hair? Real cattle in the supply chain need to have just enough hair to keep them warm in winter and slick haired in the summer. Rewarding extreme hair in the show ring is not a good message for the economics of beef production.

Selecting your herd sire or donor cow based on show ring performance may be like selecting your spouse from one of those pageants. When the outer layers are peeled off, you may suspect some fraud. :)

Simme - your post is NOT an exaggeration (outside the 4-H program). But, trust me - you would NOT want to EAT most of these steers. They are not being promoted for their meat. They are fed to hold a certain weight for quite a while. Not the best thing for finished beef.
Showing is and always has been a GREAT project for kids and FAMILY. You can't find a better group of kids to work with. PARENTS can sure screw up a great program. Only want THE BEST for their kids. Spending tons of money on a project calf. Hiring the best fitters to follow them around.
I am a stickler on PARENTS HANDS OFF policy. I used to post that all over the barn, saying that THEY COULD GET THEIR CHILD DISQUALIFIED. It worked. But, sad to say, outside of a county 4-H show, no one enforces any rules.

I am like GB when I was on cattle judging teams back in the 70's, the fitting and hair were used to cover up flaws on the animal.

Misters and air conditioning don't go together. Think about the science. Misters cool the air but RAISE the humidity. Water is sprayed as a mist into moving air. It takes heat (BTU's) to evaporate liquid water. The tiny mist droplets in the air absorb heat from the air - cooling the air by taking btu's out of the air to evaporate the water, but ending up with higher humidity in the air. Warm air will "hold" more water vapor than cool air. Misters have a limited range of cooling. As you cool more (more mister nozzles), you add more humidity (water) until you end up with wet cattle and wet bedding and wet walls and surfaces. Saturated wet cows are not cool.

Air conditioner cools the air temperature by moving heat from inside an enclosure to the outside using thermal properties of a refrigerant which results in removal of humidity (water) from the air. Hot air will hold more water than cold air. When the a/c cools the air, humidity in the air condenses on the cooling coil and is drained to the outside which gives cool lower humidity air in the cooler.

Keeping cows in a refrigerated box is just unhealthy, unnatural and nasty.

Something to think about, leavening a calf wet in the heat actually makes them hotter unless they are in a cool area with fans to dry them off. From how it was explained to me once the body heat is transferred to the water in the hair the cooling effect is lost. Another reason is leaving wet hair will definitely make it hard to train the hair. True hair is used to hide faults but there are some advantages to having hair, a calf with good trained hair will appear fresher looking, tend to have a younger look than one with out hair. If you are competing in your county fair, just getting hair that pops, has that soft look you are doing great, it wont hide faults but it will make your calf have more eye appeal. We sponsored a young lady last year with a steer, her family runs the last dairy in our county, her steer was in a pen at the dairy. He had shade and that was about it, he had cool box hair, all she did was rinse and blow out every day, genetics did the rest. Like someone posted above, feeding was the key, changing fat and protein at the right time feeding a filler at the end to get his gut to expand, adding extra fat to get a good smooth finish, the timing of when to change an add things is a much bigger part of raising the animal. Truly to me the rinsing and blowing out is more of a training and team building thing for the exhibitor and the animal. We sponsored 2 young men from the local FFA's, neither had ever shown a steer, they did very well for never working with calves prior to this year. Posted a few pictures

Attachments

• blake gc.jpg
    blake gc.jpg
    424.2 KB · Views: 4
  • otis after clipping.jpg
    otis after clipping.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 4
  • earl dm (2).jpg
    earl dm (2).jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 4