show cattle cooler

Help Support CattleToday:

I❤️shorthorns

Reaction score
Hey yall i was woundering if anyone knows anything about cooling rooms for my show calfs. I want to build one i have a small room with no insulation and it has a door with a bottom but no top to it also there is a feed troff that is open to pour feed in + the other door in is 5 2x4's going down. I am on a buget right know so i am trying to make it cheap but nice. thanks, Aiden

Hey yall i was woundering if anyone knows anything about cooling rooms for my show calfs. I want to build one i have a small room with no insulation and it has a door with a bottom but no top to it also there is a feed troff that is open to pour feed in + the other door in is 5 2x4's going down. I am on a buget right know so i am trying to make it cheap but nice. thanks, Aiden
Where are you located? And what exactly is a "cooling room"?

Cooler rooms do cost. We had one at the old place that was 10x12, insulated with 4" of spray foam and had a 24,000 BTU air conditioner with a Cool Bot. It worked well and we could keep it around 60* all day even on 95* days. After we moved my kid only had a couple of years left to show and we just tied them in the new uninsulated barn every morning with butt fans and misters on a timer. We grew almost as good of hair as with the cooler room. Ideally you also need to have cattle tied by sunup and let out after sundown. Where you tie them should be totally dark if possible. This shortens the amount of daylight they are exposed to, which promotes hair growth. Melatonin in their feed about 60 days prior to show will also promote hair growth. So those are a couple tricks you can do without going to the expense of a full bore cooler room and still grow hair on your show critters.

Never heard of a cooler room ? Makes sense but what happens if you wash them about dark and don't dry them . Run fans on them during the night . Will that make them sick or promote hair growth ?

I know drying them after washing is the norm but if you leave them wet does that have a cooling effect and promote hair growth ?
Rinse, comb, rice root brush and blow out completely in the morning after feeding. We would tie them after feeding then bring out one at a time to rinse and blow out. Evening usually involved working on showmanship then feed. No rinsing in evening. The rinsing relaxes the hair and the blow out helps train the hair. Never leave one wet.

Also, we would usually tie them to stand with heads up for a couple of hours in the morning while rinsing and blowing, then let them lay down and tie them to stand for another hour or two in the afternoon. It is an intense program if you want to be competitive. It also all goes back to genetics as a slick haired critter won't grow hair very easy even with a cooler room and zero time in the daylight.

I am not a "clubby" breeder - but, we always recommend rinsing in evening before turnout - NOT dried. "Recommended" but not followed here. Don't have the time. We brush, condition hair some mornings, let stand for at least 1 hour, walk and set up practice, then feed each morning. Not "religious" about it. Life gets in the way when you have a farm to run. NEVER was as good about practicing walking & setting up like we are now that we have a family of 3 that we sponsor (6th year!!!) We never had our cattle soooo ready to show at our 1st show than we do now. Showing is just a good way to advertise my cattle - not our biggest goal.

That is probably an understatement. Intense in effort required, time required and $$$$ required.
It took us several years to just get the basics down. We refused to buy big money cattle and always looked for the sleeper steer that we thought we could feed right and grow some show hair on. Start with show animal selection, then a feed program to keep them progressing and be fat at the terminal show, hair work, showmanship. My kid made his college money showing steers and selling at county fair from age 9 to 18. But we really preferred showing breeding heifers, mostly Angus heifers we purchased to eventually be part of the cow herd and a few we raised. We didn't win very often, but we could sure scare the ones who had a lot more money in it. My kid also liked showmanship because he didn't need the $10K steer to win it -- just had to outwork everyone else at home because it is reflects in how your stock behaves and handles when you get to town for the show.

Cooler rooms do cost. We had one at the old place that was 10x12, insulated with 4" of spray foam and had a 24,000 BTU air conditioner with a Cool Bot. It worked well and we could keep it around 60* all day even on 95* days. After we moved my kid only had a couple of years left to show and we just tied them in the new uninsulated barn every morning with butt fans and misters on a timer. We grew almost as good of hair as with the cooler room. Ideally you also need to have cattle tied by sunup and let out after sundown. Where you tie them should be totally dark if possible. This shortens the amount of daylight they are exposed to, which promotes hair growth. Melatonin in their feed about 60 days prior to show will also promote hair growth. So those are a couple tricks you can do without going to the expense of a full bore cooler room and still grow hair on your show critters.
thanks we have been feeding melatonin for the last 120 days. i was wondering about misters though.

thanks we have been feeding melatonin for the last 120 days. i was wondering about misters though.
They will help cool the air down kind of like a swamp cooler. However, if you don't turn them off periodically they will make things wet. Best is to run about 15 minutes on and 45 minutes off even in a dry climate like we have. If you can swing the cost, these are awesome https://portacool.com/jetstream-evap-coolers/

After we moved my kid only had a couple of years left to show and we just tied them in the new uninsulated barn every morning with butt fans and misters on a timer. We grew almost as good of hair as with the cooler room.
Did you pay attention to what GoWyo said about doing about as good with just fans and misters?
I grow hair on Simmental - not known for HAIR. Most importantly, keep in during the day under fans and out in the evening/nights.

There's a lot of things to do before getting a cooler Sure hair is important in the show world,but the basics come first I've seen people feed the latest feeds and supplements and not know why they are feeding them things as simple as feeding same time every day,feeding a good,basic feed and spread a little elbow grease will go a long way it takes a great calf to be a great calf,a cooler won't make a good calf great.

There's a lot of things to do before getting a cooler Sure hair is important in the show world,but the basics come first I've seen people feed the latest feeds and supplements and not know why they are feeding them things as simple as feeding same time every day,feeding a good,basic feed and spread a little elbow grease will go a long way it takes a great calf to be a great calf,a cooler won't make a good calf great.
I agree with that

Latest posts