Bloated Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

ramseyacdc

Reaction score
Just looking for some wisdom on an issue I had the last few days.

I have an Angus bull around 18 months old. He had been on wheat with all the other cattle for about 16 days. Bloat blocks provided and plenty of hay. We have done everything the same for 20 years with no issues. We discovered the bull on his side and bloated Wednesday evening. Promptly called the vet and he checked for throat blockage which there was none and then punctured the bulls side/rumen to relieve the gas. The bull was given a tube of calcium, magnesium, and one other ingredient I cant remember. We then tried to get him up and he would drag his back legs then fall over. It was a lot like a heifer after pulling a large calf in which her legs would not function properly/ nerve damage. Vet said to let him rest and give him water ect.. and then get him up later. When later came we still had the same issue with him falling down ect.. Once it started getting into the night he started bloating again! Not getting up was allowing pressure to build back up. So every 2-3 hours though the night and into Thursday am I had to reopen the hole in his side and relieve the gas. I relieved the gas a 10:00 on Thursday for the last time. All day Thursday was spent getting him to stand for 5- 20 minutes at a time to try and allow blood flow, but he still could not walk 100% on his own. Most of the time I was pulling up on his tail to help him out and keep him from swaying left and right. Thursday night after a 30 minute stand/ walk he was tired and fell down. We left him to rest at this point and since the bloat seemed to have went away we did not come back to check him overnight. Came back today (Friday morning), and he was bloated once again and after just a few minutes of sitting him up he died. This happened very fast and we did not get to reopen the hole in time. My theory is that he was either bloated and hurt his nerves trying to get up or was hurt prior to bloat and laying around allowed the gas to build up.. Just want to know if any seasoned cattlemen have ever seen this happen with both bloat and back leg issues.. Maybe he was hurt internally by another cow?

Sounds to me that he may have been injured first, and then bloated as a result.

I've only ever lost 1 to bloat and that was because she got herself caste in a "dip" on the side of a hill.

I'm not saying I'm an expert but I lost a bull to bloat last year too. Came home gave him a bucket of cold water. And by the time I had his supper ready he was down and as big and a beach ball. I couldn't get him back up as much as I tried. But my great grandfarther had this old animal husbandry book. I got reading it and it said that if you can get the animal to its feet to try your best to get it to walk then if you can do that to get it to fast walk or run. It's suppose to move the gas through the body. But we had the vet into the bull and she couldn't give us a reason of why it happened. A butcher down the road from us had a Charolais heifer and had the same story with the water. And that never lived. I'm sorry I'm only new to this site as well to having more than 1 cow. But the book also said to rub the animals legs to help wit blood flow.

Latest posts