Black Simbrah

Help Support CattleToday:

I think ALACOWMAN had some at some point in fairly recent history but I could be wrong on that. Semex Had semen on a bull that was supposed to be pretty good that I saw some calves on that I really liked but they were just shy of weaning when I saw them so I don't know what they turned into.

Have an F1 Black simbra cow. She was raised here and is about 9-10 yrs old. Always raises a top calf and calves within 10 months. She was from a PB black Sim cow sired by a V-8 brahman bull. Had several simbra cattle but sold most during the drought of 2011 or 2012. I had no complaints. For as I know, the person who bought them, still has them. A few of the ones sold were from brahman cows and a 3/4 sim 1/4 angus bull.

1. I don't really like to start arguments on here, but I've had sim cows in the past, and didn't like the way they milked. I'm hoping the brahma knocks that out of them?

2. I like a brangus bull, and it's time for one. Will a black simbrah bring as much to the party on my Charolais cows.

3. I've been a good boy this year, and I'd like to buy me 10 or 12 black simbrah heifers. How far south am I going to have to go to find them?

Bigfoot,
I convinced my dad to buy a halfblood Simbrah bull back around 1983 (he wasn't black) to run on our little ragtag herd of crossbred cows back in south Alabama - cowherd was bred up from Hereford/Red Poll with some Jersey & Guernsey back behind some of them... with about 15 years of Angus bulls over them.
I have no idea what Simmental or Brahman lines were behind him, but he was EASY calving, and those Simbrah-cross calves were the best that I can ever recall us producing. Color was all over the place... but this was before the CAB marketing success, so 'black' didn't necessarily 'rule', and with only 1/4 Brahman influence, the dock for 'ear' wasn't too bad... and, really, for that part of the country, I think we'd been leaving a lot on the table by not having some Brahman influence earlier.

Haven't seen many in the interim, but most of the Simbrah bulls I've seen in the semen catalogs... just don't flick my trigger. As much as I like my Simmental cattle, and had a good experience with that Simbrah bull back when... I'm not sure you'll get more bang with one than with a Brangus bull.

Lucky_P":2eubhhk4 said:
Bigfoot,
I convinced my dad to buy a halfblood Simbrah bull back around 1983 (he wasn't black) to run on our little ragtag herd of crossbred cows back in south Alabama - cowherd was bred up from Hereford/Red Poll with some Jersey & Guernsey back behind some of them... with about 15 years of Angus bulls over them.
I have no idea what Simmental or Brahman lines were behind him, but he was EASY calving, and those Simbrah-cross calves were the best that I can ever recall us producing. Color was all over the place... but this was before the CAB marketing success, so 'black' didn't necessarily 'rule', and with only 1/4 Brahman influence, the dock for 'ear' wasn't too bad... and, really, for that part of the country, I think we'd been leaving a lot on the table by not having some Brahman influence earlier.

Haven't seen many in the interim, but most of the Simbrah bulls I've seen in the semen catalogs... just don't flick my trigger. As much as I like my Simmental cattle, and had a good experience with that Simbrah bull back when... I'm not sure you'll get more bang with one than with a Brangus bull.

Thanks.

Bigfoot":13ww5094 said:
1. I don't really like to start arguments on here, but I've had sim cows in the past, and didn't like the way they milked. I'm hoping the brahma knocks that out of them?

2. I like a brangus bull, and it's time for one. Will a black simbrah bring as much to the party on my Charolais cows.

3. I've been a good boy this year, and I'd like to buy me 10 or 12 black simbrah heifers. How far south am I going to have to go to find them?

We have never had any milking issues...plenty of milk and nice bags.

I would think with either the Brangus or Simbrah would add to the Char cows.

The Simbrahs today are not the Simbrah of old. Most are solid red or black or with white faced and polled. We have 2 bulls, a black 3/4 and a red white faced purebred. Both of them look more like a Simmental and they knock the ear and sheaths down some on our Beefmaster cross cows.

We could not be happier with ours and the difference they have made in our herd, when it is time to replace one of our bulls we will get another Simbrah.

How much Brahman is in a simbrah, and do you run in to a lot of what I would call homebrew simbrah? Silly question, but around here a black cow with some ear would just be referred to as a brangus. Will I run into black cows with ear, that also contain Simmental, and people are referring to them as black simbrah?

Bigfoot":3muq27bi said:
How much Brahman is in a simbrah, and do you run in to a lot of what I would call homebrew simbrah? Silly question, but around here a black cow with some ear would just be referred to as a brangus. Will I run into black cows with ear, that also contain Simmental, and people are referring to them as black simbrah?

They are just like the Brangus or a Gert...5/8 3/8's. Our 3/4 bulls sire was a purebred Simm and his dam was a Simbrah. The ASA calls it a 3/4 1/4 but it is really like a 80/20.

Latest posts