Black Cows = Black Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Carnivore,

With all due respect, please look in the breeds section, and it will show you many breeds, and pictures, as well as their color.

Not all black cows are angus.

all black cows are not Angus, but most of them are black because an Angus is in their pedigree somewhere.

Just to stir the pot a little, what is Certified Angus Beef definition of Black Angus? .... 50% black hide, no dairy! :eek:

Alan

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":ebzu21me said:
Salers are black, Simmentals have gone black, Heck even charolais have gone black. Brangus are black, I would say that eventually all cows will be black and we wont be able to tell what breed they are.

Nah, the black Herefords will still have a white face :p

Hereford, Braford, Brahman, Shorthorn, and Santa Gertrudis are about the only major breeds that don't have a black breed segment. Really, Charolais too. I don't think the black Chars will ever catch on. You might say Red Angus, but they have a black segment called Angus. ;-)

Alan":3evl3nja said:
Just to stir the pot a little, what is Certified Angus Beef definition of Black Angus? .... 50% black hide, no dairy! :eek:

Alan

GOOD POINT. CAB IS THE REASON SO MANY BREEDS HAVE GONE BLACK. THEY PAY THE BIGGEST PREMIUM ON THE RAIL AND THERE IS NO ACTUAL BREED REQUIREMENT. I ALWAYS WONDERED HOW MANY RED ONES ACTUALLY SNEAK INTO CAB. KIND OF HARD TO TELL WHAT COLOR THEY ARE AFTER THE HIDE IS OFF. ARE GREY CATTLE STILL BLACK HIDED?

NOT THIS CRAP AGAIN. Really people you can argue CAB by researching the subject.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":73b3cuoj said:
That is true but they are still considered black hided cattle any way you look at it. Those would probably be the only ones you could tell apart. Maybe some of the bwf simmentals to. The simmis that are all black though to the untrained eye if you were driving by youd be like there be some Angus.

Except CAB requirements don't say anything about a black HIDE. The specs call for the animal to be at least 51% BLACK. Not BLACK HIDED. I think Red Angus have black hide, yet they can't be CAB.

jnowack":qcquam02 said:
Scotty":qcquam02 said:
NOT THIS CRAP AGAIN. Really people you can argue CAB by researching the subject.

A LITTLE SENSITIVE HUH?
jnowack- I notice that you are new on the board. We welcome you to one of the finest learning opportunities (this Forum - CattleToday) available on the internet. Most of us are more than willing to help, assist, lead, teach, and suggest to anyone who is truly willing to accept our help.

This discussion subject (Certified Angus Beef - CAB) has been discussed and reviewed and bantered back and forth, both in favor and against several times in the past two and a half years. Some of us are rather sensitive to seeming sarcastic comments, either for or against the CAB program, and respond accordingly. Nothing personal against the poster, but when it has been covered over and over and over and then over again - it gets a little old. I know you haven't been privy to the in-depth discussisons regarding CAB - but the subject has been arguable and open for discussion to the point of being over-done ad infinitum ad nauseum!

Just thought I would bring you up to date for your perusal.

DOC HARRIS

Sorry to start such a shirtstorm. My question was sincere, because while I didn't think that just cause a cow was black that it was a black angus, I also started reading stuff about the CAB, and alluding to any black cow being available for being a certified angus breed. So, I asked the question, out of naiviet'e.

Marty

Two more Black breeds for you Carnivore, both of which have books and pedigrees that reach back every bit as far as the Angus cattle. In fact some say that the Angus may have been created from these cattle.

Welsh Black Cattle and Galloway Cattle.

Both fit our Canadian Celtic brand name which is obviously more selective that CAB. ;-)

Latest posts