Black Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
roughly a week old in the pics. not my calf, belongs to someone i know.

shady_lady_calf.jpg

shady_lady_calf_.jpg

i know they arent the greatest pics, but tell me what you think (as much as you can from pics of a week old calf)

Ryan

He's just a week old? Leggy little thing, isn't he...I like him. And look at his legs and feet...got mud on them...already venturing into a tank? Cool!

Plus he's got that attitude I love written all over him.

Alice

my only negative is the time of year he is born. he will be a little young when people are turning out yearlings next year. Other than that looks good

I bet he can really cover some ground with those legs at playtime. He stands as though he knows he's gonna be something someday.

Come on folks! How can you tell anythign about a week old calf except that's he's a bull and he's black?

dun

dun":2dcmclmq said:
Come on folks! How can you tell anythign about a week old calf except that's he's a bull and he's black?

dun

Dun, I'm one of those saps that just like baby calves...especially ones that have attitude written all of them. I wouldn't care if they were green with pink polka dots all over them...if they have that aura of attitude, I like 'em.

Now, I don't mean attitude like "Give me a chance and I'll break every bone in your body..." I mean attitude like, "I'm gonna live and you're not gonna have to tube me, and give me shots, and help me stand up every day..."

That little guy has mud half way up those long legs...he's got that look on his face like, "Yeah, ok, I've been in the tank...got a problem with that?" ATTITUDE! :D

Alice

Alice":xi0sktju said:
dun":xi0sktju said:

dun

Dun, I'm one of those saps that just like baby calves...especially ones that have attitude written all of them. I wouldn't care if they were green with pink polka dots all over them...if they have that aura of attitude, I like 'em.

Now, I don't mean attitude like "Give me a chance and I'll break every bone in your body..." I mean attitude like, "I'm gonna live and you're not gonna have to tube me, and give me shots, and help me stand up every day..."

That little guy has mud half way up those long legs...he's got that look on his face like, "Yeah, ok, I've been in the tank...got a problem with that?" ATTITUDE! :D

Alice

I've got a heifer you'ld love then. She'll be headed to the feedlot the and of October.

dun

dun":28wvoxr6 said:
Alice":28wvoxr6 said:
dun":28wvoxr6 said:

dun

Alice

I've got a heifer you'ld love then. She'll be headed to the feedlot the and of October.

dun

Has a BAD attitude, huh?

Alice

Frankie":ewumyuno said:
Is he a longhorn? I like the color. :p

Yeah... he is a longhorn. I said he's not mine...but he does belong to the ranch i work for (thought i would see what responses i would get if i left out he was a longhorn for awhile). His dam is the black cow pictured under the Horns post. His sire is a black lineback bull, Circle K Donovan, I'm sure the other longhorn breeders on here know of him. We are kind of hoping this guy turns out to be something. Both his sire and dam are big animals, with really good horn. Maybe we can use him to get some new blood in, without having to go buy a bull.

Ryan

p.s. Frankie, I love that color, too. We dont have too many black or black and white longhorns in our herd.

Alice":1dqjd96h said:
He's just a week old? Leggy little thing, isn't he...I like him. And look at his legs and feet...got mud on them...already venturing into a tank? Cool!

Plus he's got that attitude I love written all over him.

Alice

You're right about the attitude. He's got that attitude I love for calves to have. Kind of curious, always full of energy and trying to play with the other calves. Once his mom brought him in with the rest of the herd he has been loving it.

Ryan

Ryan":saljp9m8 said:
Frankie":saljp9m8 said:
Is he a longhorn? I like the color. :p

Yeah... he is a longhorn. I said he's not mine...but he does belong to the ranch i work for (thought i would see what responses i would get if i left out he was a longhorn for awhile). His dam is the black cow pictured under the Horns post. His sire is a black lineback bull, Circle K Donovan, I'm sure the other longhorn breeders on here know of him. We are kind of hoping this guy turns out to be something. Both his sire and dam are big animals, with really good horn. Maybe we can use him to get some new blood in, without having to go buy a bull.

Ryan
p.s. Frankie, I love that color, too. We dont have too many black or black and white longhorns in our herd.

There's a guy in my area who rents out black longhorn bulls for use on first calf heifers. That was what tipped me off, plus you're a Longhorn guy.

Alice":3cw98h5p said:
dun":3cw98h5p said:
Alice":3cw98h5p said:
dun":3cw98h5p said:

dun

Alice

dun

Has a BAD attitude, huh?

Alice

Mope just inta everything, does what she wants when she wants. Hot wire doesn;t faze her. I think she enjoys having it run along her back

dun
dun

Hill Creek Farm":2kxezped said:
I agree with Dun, he is only 1 week old and how can you tell what we think about him, except he is a black bull calf and that's it. Take care. :cboy:

I agree, too.. I didnt expect much hoopla over him. Right now he's just another calf, with some potential. Thought I'd post as there isnt really a tremendous amount of solid black longhorns.

Ryan":p533hfyd said:
I agree, too.. I didnt expect much hoopla over him. Right now he's just another calf, with some potential. Thought I'd post as there isnt really a tremendous amount of solid black longhorns.

Will you show him? I'm curious as to how acceptable a black Longhorn bull is in the show ring?

there's a good chance he'll get shown... the July-August class doesnt usually have many entries in it... Black longhorns are accepted in the ring, no problems. Although the frequency of them is extremely low. I only remember seeing maybe 2 or 3 all of last show season. Not many show people use black or black & white herd sires for their show calves. Off the top of my head i can only think of 2 really.

Ryan":2im6oidr said:
there's a good chance he'll get shown... the July-August class doesnt usually have many entries in it... Black longhorns are accepted in the ring, no problems. Although the frequency of them is extremely low. I only remember seeing maybe 2 or 3 all of last show season. Not many show people use black or black & white herd sires for their show calves. Off the top of my head i can only think of 2 really.
So, how did you get a black one? Do you have a black cow or a black bull or maybe some cows that have black influence in them? Take care. :cboy:

Hill Creek Farm":9vngv7uo said:
Ryan":9vngv7uo said:
So, how did you get a black one? Do you have a black cow or a black bull or maybe some cows that have black influence in them? Take care. :cboy:

Dam is solid black, by a mostly black bull (Diego's Hot Shot), dont know about her dam's color ...she is actually posted under the topic "Horns" here on the breeds board.

Sire is a black lineback bull (Circle K Donovan), by a nearly solid red bull (Senator) out of a black and white cow (Signal).

Black and white is pretty frequent, solid black is out there, you just have to be looking for it.

Ryan

Latest posts