black baldy-anXher

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

~~~~~~~~~~~why ant the true black baldy a regesterd breed?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Not enough snob appeal. The gene pool would be so diverse that it would be impossible to do much with a registry.

dun

I would think so. Anytime a person can just cross two existing breeds and come up with something of value, the commonness(probably not a real word) would keep a registry to be able to handle the data in a meaningful way. I like my ability to select really good animals and breed them and get my baldys. Good demand for the heifers and the steers sell and grade well.
I'm kind of curious how much problem the Gelbvieh association is having trying to work up EPDs on there balalncers and getting enough meaningful data to get any kind of accuracy.
We just use known registered cows and breed them to registered bulls. We may not have all the sophistication of real EPDs, but the figures we derive are accurate enough for us in the commercial world.

dun

I agree with you, trying to work EPD's is not as easy many people think and not 100% accurate. Just yesterday I had a calving problem with a 5 yr. old Simmental cow, I inseminated 60 cows to the same Simmental Bull, the average weight till today's births is 70 lbs. not including the one we had problems. Yesterday's calve weighted 127 lbs. I inseminated aroun 500 cows with this bull in the past and is the first greedy calve that I had with him.

dun":3hezhrly said:
I would think so. Anytime a person can just cross two existing breeds and come up with something of value, the commonness(probably not a real word) would keep a registry to be able to handle the data in a meaningful way. I like my ability to select really good animals and breed them and get my baldys. Good demand for the heifers and the steers sell and grade well.
I'm kind of curious how much problem the Gelbvieh association is having trying to work up EPDs on there balalncers and getting enough meaningful data to get any kind of accuracy.
We just use known registered cows and breed them to registered bulls. We may not have all the sophistication of real EPDs, but the figures we derive are accurate enough for us in the commercial world.

dun

Latest posts