black and white panda cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2mb230mi said:
Explain to me in what way that looks like a panda jay dill? That looks nothig like a panda. I think dun hit the nail on the head.
Sorry I'm not as intelligent as you. I don't know every breed that ever existed.

Alice":2bkcnprb said:
My husband, Van, bought a british white at the auction about a year ago. It took us awhile to get her going...sale barn stuff we had to deal with...but she came around...turned into a little character. We finally sold her for a pretty good profit.

Wouldn't mind having another one or 2 just like her.

Alice
Yeah, they're pretty cool cattle. I've only seen those two show steer calves from my County last year but I would love to learn a little more about the breed. Are they popular around your area?

Jay

jaydill":18iulb3n said:
My guess is that she is referring to British Whites. They look the most like Pandas, IMO.
britishwhite.jpg

A couple kids from my county showed them last year. They're not real popular but they're a neat breed.

looks more like one of the koala (spelling?) bears from Australia :D

Heritage_Farmboy":2pf4t93y said:
:lol: I swear when I first saw them in person, I thought they resembled Pandas. I did wear glasses for 15 years though... :oops: :lol:

jaydill":3o54j6j9 said:
Alice":3o54j6j9 said:
My husband, Van, bought a british white at the auction about a year ago. It took us awhile to get her going...sale barn stuff we had to deal with...but she came around...turned into a little character. We finally sold her for a pretty good profit.

Wouldn't mind having another one or 2 just like her.

Alice
Yeah, they're pretty cool cattle. I've only seen those two show steer calves from my County last year but I would love to learn a little more about the breed. Are they popular around your area?

Jay

Not at all. I have no idea where this one came from. We did a search on her when we got her. Google british white. They do sound like good cattle. Good milkers...not prone to pink eye...polled. I don't remember the rest of the adavantages.

Everyone here thought she was a longhorn, or all things. We kept her well long enough to establish she had no horns. I'm not gonna swear she was fulll blood british white...here, you can't swear to that about any breed bought at the sale barn. But, she had all of the characteristics of a british white...I mean ALL of them. If we find heifers like her again, we'll buy them.

Alice

jaydill":1yp0o0n4 said:
Heritage_Farmboy":1yp0o0n4 said:
:lol: I swear when I first saw them in person, I thought they resembled Pandas. I did wear glasses for 15 years though... :oops: :lol:

maybe they do resemble pandas in person...i've never seen one in person :) ...i've never seen a panda in real life either though :lol:

Take care

Annie,
My wife calls the type cattle that you are referring to "Oreo Cattle". I am suprised that no-one on here did not refer you to the Dickinson Cattle Company (http://www.texaslonghorn.net/buelingo_info/index.cfm) in Ohio who happens to breed this type cattle. They are called BueLingo's. They are a beef breed that are heavily influenced with Salers cattle and Angus cattle as well. The white belt around these cattle is derived from the Dutch Belted Galloway's, which are a dairy type breed. We have both the Belted Galloway's and the Buelingo's here in the U.S.

We are in the process of trying to locate and buy a few BueLingo heifers or momma cows. We want to bring a few of them to Alabama and start a small herd. I do not know if anyone in our State has any of the BueLingo's?

Hey! I got the right answer for a change! :D There were some Belties around here during the winter. Some across from Mann Ag in Cleburne and on Hwy 4 outside Cleburne someone had a few. I love they way they look, although I don't know how they would do in this heat. They are cold weather animals, are they not?

Beefy":3hkzykdv said:
the miniature cattle have a "breed" they call panda. they are marked like a panda. not sure how they got them.

I believe they were Belted Galloway x Baldie crosses.

Lammie":143oyu85 said:
Hey! I got the right answer for a change! :D There were some Belties around here during the winter. Some across from Mann Ag in Cleburne and on Hwy 4 outside Cleburne someone had a few. I love they way they look, although I don't know how they would do in this heat. They are cold weather animals, are they not?

Check the Belted Galloway breed website.

http://www.beltie.org/

They have a breeders list. There are Beltewd Galloways in Texas and other parts of the south including Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, etc. Last years yearbook showed that Texas was one of the fastest growing regions of new registrations.

Belties shed their hair in the summer. Here in southern Missouri/northern Arkansas I have not noticed them any more sensitive to heat than angus, charolais, or simmenthal.

Remember Galloway have very thin backfat. Backfat could be just as debilitating in the summer heat as the small amount of summer hair.

Did you notice how old this thread is? I'm sure she doesn't care anymore.

There are several types of Galloway cattle they all present with the heavy outer coat of fur. They are from Galloway, Scotland.
1. White Galloway (not white park or british whites) with the black ears, eyes, muzzle and feet. Some are a little a little freckled.
2. Black Galloway which look alot like the old style Aberdeen Angus.
3. Belted Galloway can be black and white, dun and white or red and white. The white belt encircles the belly only.
Here is a good Web site for info: http://www.beltie.org/.
Amy in Indiana. :wave:

Why would it?
Panda cows: laakenvelder or dutch belted is a dairy breed who got the belt from some imported austrian cows four hundred years ago, as the duch love this belts on anything even on rabbits.
belted galloway got the belt from laakenvelders some two hundred years ago.
Buelingo was created by mr russel bueling in the twentieth century and also got the belt from the laakenvelder.
Use any one of these on a hereford; then pandas will appear!