Big runs at Texas sale barns

Help Support CattleToday:

Emory sold 2401 yesterday compared to 3495 a week ago. Top packer cows were quoted $10 per cwt lower than a week ago. I went to Van Zandt Livestock yesterday and it was about the same as Emory. Stocker and packer cows typically make up about 18% of the total consignment at most of the sales around here. The runs lately have been close to 30% cows with the vast majority going to slaughter. I did see some younger pairs being bought on order to go back east. The top end pairs brought up to $1300 with some smaller cows with good calves in the $950 to $1075 range.

If packer prices keep falling and you have a smidgen of grass, the one and done's that will calve in September may be a good play. Calf prices and packer cows should be strong next spring.

We usually don't doctor many. This year we are in severe drought and there has been some Quick pneumonia/dust pneumonia.
I encourage everyone to work with their vet. Whatever is recommended for your area is what you should do.
Kenny I agree about working with your vet. We don't buy calves at the sale. Have bought a few replacement registered cows. We mainly doctor a few sick ones and that is it. Usually have little sickness. We are in a severe drought now. Quick/Dust pneumonia has been going around which is normal for this type of weather. Had to doctor six last week. Two long term weaned fall calves and 4 calves on the cows. I gave each Draxxin and 5 of them penicillin and one liquamycin. I worked for a vet at one time and still follow some of what he taught me. He always gave an antibiotic like penicillin along with a drug like Draxxin. Some of my vets don't feel it is needed but it has worked for me for years. Again I feel we all tend to find what works for us. I have had the best results using Draxxin while many prefer Resflor. The three vets we use don't even agree on which drugs or treatment method to use.

Whoever said cows would be down $15 was spot on for local sale last night.
Sold my last two heifers in the Decatur Weaned Segment of last weeks sale.
Lots of activity, for Decatur, about 50% more than two weeks before. Amazingly, prices were up some.
I actually got about $0.15/lb more than I did two weeks earlier.

Attachments

• DecaturLivestockMarket071122.pdf
    490.8 KB · Views: 9
I've been getting market reports from the Navasota sale for years, so I just looked back. They had 3042 head last Saturday, 1516 on July 12 last year, and 1529 on July 11, 2020.

Navasota was back down to 2012 head Saturday. Still more than usual for this time of year, but 1,000 head less than the week before. I guess those little rains we got last week helped. Or folks are about done with cutting back on their herds.

1658154430645.png

Sold my last two heifers in the Decatur Weaned Segment of last weeks sale.
Lots of activity, for Decatur, about 50% more than two weeks before. Amazingly, prices were up some.
I actually got about $0.15/lb more than I did two weeks earlier.
Decatur sale posted a warning over the weekend not to expect a repeat on cow prices.

1658165897437.png

Decatur sale posted a warning over the weekend not to expect a repeat on cow prices.

View attachment 19148
Sounds like they have some decent folks running that market to put that out there for customers. I know I would appreciate that. That's good for customers to know ahead of time, and at the same time it might save the folks running it from having to explain as much what happened when folks pick up their checks and see the prices dropped.

Watching 4-6 year old black and black/mottly faced pairs $900-$1100
SS pairs $500-$900
Corriente/longhorn pairs with small calves $350-$500
Corriente/longhorn with big yellow calves they splitting
My son got sick so we left before they started selling the breds

Sorry everyone. I just completed a ten acre lake, a one acre stock tank and reworked a stock tank. According to Murphy's Law - it will never rain again. My fault
No, no....one of these days it will rain 20 inches and catch up to the average rainfall....that's normal these days.

Latest posts