Big runs at Texas sale barns

Help Support CattleToday:

Watching Enid ok. Sale today.

Cows are wayyyy down
And there's a bunch
540 cows
Normal is 100 to 200
I am watching them sell bulls now. if anyone in the area needed one, today would be the day to buy one. Dunno why they are running them through in groups of 4-6, though. They'd do more one at a time. Anytime a bunch of cattle are in the ring, you bid on the worst one. These 1600 lb bulls are selling for about $1 a pound

I am watching them sell bulls now. if anyone in the area needed one, today would be the day to buy one. Dunno why they are running them through in groups of 4-6, though. They'd do more one at a time. Anytime a bunch of cattle are in the ring, you bid on the worst one. These 1600 lb bulls are selling for about $1 a pound
With the numbers that have come to town, prices are dropping. Most of the sales in East texas were calling packer cows and bulls $4 to $6 lower yesterday.

I bet big fat cows will continue to do ok but the packers will not be nearly as interested in the skinny cows that won't yield so well.
That's what showed today. And not necessarily fat. But high yielding.

Today was good day to be in a situation to buy some nicer bred stock too. Good pairs sold for 1000 to 1200

What do you feed the skinny ones to get them back into good condition?
I think he is trying to say he buys cattle that have not had enough to eat. He provides the grass (if he has it) and gets them back into normal condition. Now is a great buying opportunity if you have grass as many producers are selling some of their better cows because of lack of grazing and/or water.

Fine with me young skinny cows are my type. I'll buy a young thin before I'll buy a in shape one
Dad worked for an old rancher that said he would rather have two skinny cows instead of one fat one, and I guess he had lots of cows. His ranch was 30 mile wide and 90 miles long. Dad didn't think he really knew how many cows he had.

I'm not sure if it's because all the ground moisture is gone or the wind turbines are slowing any chance of a breeze down but I don't remember a scrorcher like this in awhile. The heat is intense. I can still manage ok but probably drank half a case of water today. Glad I don't live closer to the solar farm. The heat wave off those panels is gonna be a killer in weather like this.
You're not insinuating that green energy sources mess with the environment, are you? You're talking about the future of mankind there!

I'm all for green energy. Why use 50 acres to make 1,000 MegaWatts of clean power when you can use 10,000 to make the same with solar?😁😁. Everything has it's place I guess. It is seriously hot here though. Hoping we at least get a pop up shower soon. They been coming up around us the last few days.

I think he is trying to say he buys cattle that have not had enough to eat. He provides the grass (if he has it) and gets them back into normal condition. Now is a great buying opportunity if you have grass as many producers are selling some of their better cows because of lack of grazing and/or water.
correct

How many of those skinny cows also bring extra health issues with them, or is there a way to tell? (Such as my bred skinny liver fluke cow)
Oh health issues will always come about buying from a barn. Everything gets LA300 symptoms or not. I pass right by my vets office on way to house I stop in and say hello every time. Good relationship with your vet and hay man are a must in this buisness

Dad worked for an old rancher that said he would rather have two skinny cows instead of one fat one, and I guess he had lots of cows. His ranch was 30 mile wide and 90 miles long. Dad didn't think he really knew how many cows he had.
As a kid I worked for a old man off and on his favorite type cows a old mean ass thin brimmer I learned to be quick on my feet and can climb a oak tree like a cat squirrel. I'm only 30 now and that old man taught me a lot of lessons #1 don't buy brimmers #2 never leave home with out s rope in the truck

I did some work for old old guy (he was actually my grandfather's uncle) for a few years back in the 80's. He didn't have that much land, but he also had enough that he didn't know how many cows he had. Someone once asked him what was the best cattle breed. He replied "They're all pretty good if they get enough to eat."

Latest posts