Big runs at Texas sale barns

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh health issues will always come about buying from a barn. Everything gets LA300 symptoms or not. I pass right by my vets office on way to house I stop in and say hello every time. Good relationship with your vet and hay man are a must in this buisness
I must ask why you give them LA300. It prevents nothing. It treats soft tissue issues like pinkeye and foot rot.
A dose of Inforce 3 will prevent much more and doesn't cost much. Last I bought was 2.32 per dose. And it works on all sizes and ages.

I must ask why you give them LA300. It prevents nothing. It treats soft tissue issues like pinkeye and foot rot.
A dose of Inforce 3 will prevent much more and doesn't cost much. Last I bought was 2.32 per dose. And it works on all sizes and ages.
I'm not dca, but I never did anything with bought calves until recently.
Cows I always had worked at the vet before I turned em out. I dont even know for sure what they gave em!
My buddy hits all bought calves with blackleg and LA200/300
And cows get a lepto/vibro shot

I've found it best to basically do nothing and monitor for a couple weeks. Saves me money on drugs. Heck I've even banded bull calves with no shots whatsoever and done well. Perhaps I'm lucky sometimes...

Some drugs/vaccinations will cause abortions in bred cows too, no?

Just something I've always done and it works well for me.

Attachments

• 81DBEDEE-9EEF-4D2A-8D07-4643D1078D4A.png
    81DBEDEE-9EEF-4D2A-8D07-4643D1078D4A.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Not doing anything could be great or a disaster. I still say there is a much better way than LA300.
A vet here on CT talked with me and got me started on the right track. Everything coming in from the stockyard or private sale gets Inforce 3 and Presponse. They also get a 1 shot Alpha 7. All get wormed with injectable Cydectin. All calves get Ralgro implant.
Any bull calves are castrated and get a shot of Tetnus Antioxin. I buy something every week and never have to Dr them since I started doing this.

Just something I've always done and it works well for me.
I agree it says that. It says treatment not prevention. If it has contracted shipping fever I'm not sure it works very well in treatment either. I will leave it up to the vets to give their opinion but I don't want to be treating, I want to prevent it from happening.

I agree it says that. It says treatment not prevention. If it has contracted shipping fever I'm not sure it works very well in treatment either. I will leave it up to the vets to give their opinion but I don't want to be treating, I want to prevent it from happening.
It's just the antibiotic I keep on hand at all times I squirt it In the eye of pinkeye cases and let's face it I buy cattle in Louisiana lot of wet places foot rot happens I give them Around of la300 there may be better options may even be more affordable options it's just the drug that I have used and not had a issue

It's just the antibiotic I keep on hand at all times I squirt it In the eye of pinkeye cases and let's face it I buy cattle in Louisiana lot of wet places foot rot happens I give them Around of la300 there may be better options may even be more affordable options it's just the drug that I have used and not had a issue
I totally agree that for Pinkeye and footrot it's my first go to drug also.

Not doing anything could be great or a disaster. I still say there is a much better way than LA300.
A vet here on CT talked with me and got me started on the right track. Everything coming in from the stockyard or private sale gets Inforce 3 and Presponse. They also get a 1 shot Alpha 7. All get wormed with injectable Cydectin. All calves get Ralgro implant.
Any bull calves are castrated and get a shot of Tetnus Antioxin. I buy something every week and never have to Dr them since I started doing this.
Do you give the Alpha 7 with the pinkeye added or no? I just recall what that Vet at the seminar said about it only being about 50% effective. I also remember that they said, good fly control is the best pinkeye preventative. That, and having some continental influence in the cattle.

Since July 1 at the three local sales that are located in Sulphur Springs, Emory and Winnsboro Texas have had around 11000 head run through. That is from posted market reports. A large number at Winnsboro yesterday sale run until 11:00 last night. These numbers were estimated by me in the total posted for the sale Yesterday at Winnsboro. There was a conditioned calf sale at Sulphur Springs that had 5285 in it not includedd in the 11000 head.

Last edited:
Do you give the Alpha 7 with the pinkeye added or no? I just recall what that Vet at the seminar said about it only being about 50% effective. I also remember that they said, good fly control is the best pinkeye preventative. That, and having some continental influence in the cattle.
I do not use the pinkeye added.

I'm not dca, but I never did anything with bought calves until recently.
Cows I always had worked at the vet before I turned em out. I dont even know for sure what they gave em!
My buddy hits all bought calves with blackleg and LA200/300
And cows get a lepto/vibro shot

I've found it best to basically do nothing and monitor for a couple weeks. Saves me money on drugs. Heck I've even banded bull calves with no shots whatsoever and done well. Perhaps I'm lucky sometimes...

Some drugs/vaccinations will cause abortions in bred cows too, no?
For sale barn cows we give them wormer and multi-min.
If we have problems we deal with it when it happens.

Latest posts