Big Momma Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
wbvs58 said:
Those hills make it easy for them to eat grass Branded, a bit like sitting at a table.

I totally agree with what you are doing. I do like a bit of size in my cows, as you say it is easy to downsize but more difficult to upsize. The other thing about cow size (weight) is that it is also related to the age of the cow. If you have a predominantly older cow herd then their weights will be a lot higher. I turn over my cows at a relatively young age and often have not got to their full potential adult weight.

Ken

Branded has uncommon, unique standing and frozen genetics. I would plan for a more moderate size Angus cow. The industry is not setup for 2000 pound Angus cows. I am in agreement on the ills of over emphasizing CE. James is correct that the Universities push CE. We have had the University of Kentucky out to our field days. They preach CE and the attendees eat it up.

Branded has high end Angus genetics and there is a lot of options for marketing those genetics. I would breed for a cow in the 1450 to 1600 pound range. I would focus on growth, $B, Marbling, and carcass qualities. I would continue to focus on AI and ET. Plus he has some cows that would be ideal to flush. There is a good market here for AI bred heifers. His cows would do well in the Elite Heifer sales like Paris.

Ron, I have cows here on their 3rd or 4th calves that weigh around 700kg and are in good working condition producing great calves. Most are moderate to large frame. I am sure if they were on yours or Branded's place and a year or two older they would be over 900kg. Those 2000lb cows of Branded's don't scare me at all, in fact I would expect my cows to get to those weights in those conditions. It is all relative to the feed and the work they do. I consider them to be usefull size cows. Now when you start talking Lowline size cows which some people are advocating I think you are pushing it a bit to get usefull weights on them and their progeny.

Ken

TennesseeTuxedo said:
sim.-ang.king said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
And when you're really serious check out the Alps or Himalayas.

Check out the cows that live in the Alps, or Himalayas.
Hint: they're not Angus. ;-)

So are you the Sim-Yak King now?

If I took one of my cows, over 15 years old at that, up the side of Everest with a halter on her, no grain supplements of course, only some marginal quality grass in my backpack, and planted a "Angus, The Business Breed" flag on the summit, WOULD YOU THEN say something positive about my gals?

I had no clue we were talking about your cows.
I thought we were talking about sim-yaks?

Sim-yaks are Sherpa approved for elevations over 3000 feet.

************* said:
TennesseeTuxedo said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Check out the cows that live in the Alps, or Himalayas.
Hint: they're not Angus. ;-)

So are you the Sim-Yak King now?

If I took one of my cows, over 15 years old at that, up the side of Everest with a halter on her, no grain supplements of course, only some marginal quality grass in my backpack, and planted a "Angus, The Business Breed" flag on the summit, WOULD YOU THEN say something positive about my gals?

You can't get all up in your feels around here. :lol: :lol:

sim.-ang.king said:

You know I would try it just to prove it could be done, right?

It seems to me that people on here are looking for one breed to do it all. I want who breeds my bulls to have huge cows and big ww year and $g. Do I want my bull breeders cows on my commercial operation of course not. One reason is because as a commercial guy I would not want a full blood any breed female only crossbred. So for a while now we make replacements that are 1/2 gert and half Hereford and breed to either Angus or Brangus Bulls. I want my cows 1250 to 1400 and we have to use certain type of bulls for that but my terminal bulls I want them fed and from huge sires and huge dams as long as their calves finish within the box limits.

sim.-ang.king said:

I found some Sim-Yak crosses. Saw them on a Facebook group.
[image]180[/image]
[image]179[/image]
[image]178[/image]
[image]177[/image]

Just saw a pic on facebook with I believe simmx cow, which had charx triplets. Two bulls and one heifer. At 7.5months age bulls weighed 695lbs and 728lbs, heifer 695lbs. Cow not a small one... A small one wouldn't hold such pressure, I think.

Bright Raven said:
Here is Ebenezer's lard hogs.

3_bulls.jpg

Are you in the high country of South Carolina Eb?

High and dry. Hot as a firecracker. Finally got to see the cows yesterday after a week or so. Had them on self-pilot until I had time. Rotated them from fescue to fescue. Sounds like dull dining to me but they seemed to like it. They're doing good.

Ebenezer said:
High and dry. Hot as a firecracker. Finally got to see the cows yesterday after a week or so. Had them on self-pilot until I had time. Rotated them from fescue to fescue. Sounds like dull dining to me but they seemed to like it. They're doing good.

We are doing the same but it hasn't gotten too terribly hot yet.

I remembered that I took these pictures a couple months ago. Most of the cows in the picture are Angus. There were more reds and Charolais but these is the pictures that shows the hill the best. Not a single Yak or Yak cross on the hill side. Also not a single cow weighing over 1,400 pounds. I took it from my irrigated field looking up the hill. There are miles of pasture here that looks like this. Some steeper.

Dave said:
I remembered that I took these pictures a couple months ago. Most of the cows in the picture are Angus. There were more reds and Charolais but these is the pictures that shows the hill the best. Not a single Yak or Yak cross on the hill side. Also not a single cow weighing over 1,400 pounds. I took it from my irrigated field looking up the hill. There are miles of pasture here that looks like this. Some steeper.

My spoiled brats would certainly complain about those conditions!.. not that it wouldn't do them good to go for a good hike!