big hay problem!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

If anyone is serious about helping, PM me. I'm on the board for the county Hay Emergency program.We'd glady accept and appreciate anyone that can help. So far from the sign up sheets, we are in need of at least 6500 rolls, but any amount would be appreciated, even if it was a load. ;-)

Crowderfarms":2biroh00 said:
I've said it around here for the last few months, that there will be a lot of friendships lost, and hard feeling due to the lack of Hay. I here of folks saying they have a few hundred rolls, and are going to wait til people are really hurting and sell for a hundred a roll.Whatever happened to all of "us" sticking together and helping each other??? Does it all revolve around the mighty dollar? These "Gougers" may profit this year, but I'll guarandamtee you, they'll never sell to anyone again next year, as long as we get some rain.

Good post. I was trying to pen something last night along those lines before I signed off. You did a much better job than the weak attempts that I never sent.

There could be a lot gained from a collaborative ongoing effort to offset the mood swings of Mother Nature. Other areas could also be enhanced.

Hey third generation I am just outside of richmond How much hay do you need We have some square bales we might be able to spare.. Let me know how much you need and i might be able to find you some... A few of the neighboring farmers may have some rolls they may be willing to part with.. Let me know

sidney411":2th7x2ga said:
We have 3 times as much hay as we need this year. We just got through baling 105 5x5.5 bales for our 3rd cutting that we don'[t even need but I hated to just shred it. I can't sell it, no one needs hay around here. I sure wish I could haul it up to where it's needed, but it's so expensive, diesel wise.

I have often thought about what it would actually cost to ship hay. We are paying $45/ton which is what he ended up paying at the end of last winter when we ran three or so bales short. You would think the price would go down over the summer, but it hasn't. We bought a rack of small squares from a fella across the river earlier this summer, well I ran into him at the gas station and he said he had seven racks of second cutting alfalfa s.s. for sale for $3/bale and wanted to know if I wanted some. I declined since we have all of the s.s. we need for the winter, but gave his number to another couple I know that was looking for hay. He said if he didn't get it sold, it hasn't been rained on, he was going to store it until Feb. or March and then sell it for $7-$8/bale. Driving around I see fields and fields of hay and then I'm told there is a shortage. It just doesn't make sense, we've had adequate rainfall for at least an average crop. Our grass hay field had an outstanding crop this year. I think something is fishy.

ArrowHBrand":ok6voxmd said:
sidney411":ok6voxmd said:
We have 3 times as much hay as we need this year. We just got through baling 105 5x5.5 bales for our 3rd cutting that we don'[t even need but I hated to just shred it. I can't sell it, no one needs hay around here. I sure wish I could haul it up to where it's needed, but it's so expensive, diesel wise.

I have often thought about what it would actually cost to ship hay. We are paying $45/ton which is what he ended up paying at the end of last winter when we ran three or so bales short. You would think the price would go down over the summer, but it hasn't. We bought a rack of small squares from a fella across the river earlier this summer, well I ran into him at the gas station and he said he had seven racks of second cutting alfalfa s.s. for sale for $3/bale and wanted to know if I wanted some. I declined since we have all of the s.s. we need for the winter, but gave his number to another couple I know that was looking for hay. He said if he didn't get it sold, it hasn't been rained on, he was going to store it until Feb. or March and then sell it for $7-$8/bale. Driving around I see fields and fields of hay and then I'm told there is a shortage. It just doesn't make sense, we've had adequate rainfall for at least an average crop. Our grass hay field had an outstanding crop this year. I think something is fishy.

Yes fishy as in people are going to hang on to it, and wait to see what the price does, and then gouge later in the year.

I'm thinking next year prices will go down back to what they should be, depending on hte precipitation during this year.

GMN

There aren;t a lot of small squares put up around here. I was talking with a guy that just finished haying his place and said he figures he had 5 bucks a bale in his hay to cut, rake and bale and excluding fertilizer. I told him we figured it was more like 22 bucks a bale. That's when it leaked out that he was doing small squares. I guess 22 a bale for round bales isn;t too bad

22 bucks for a round bale isnt too bad. IT cost us last year approximately 16-17 per bale last year to do it. This year we had someone else do it all. We just did the 50/50 thing.

sidney411":2wwbmao2 said:
Has anyone checked into how much it would cost to have hay trucked in on an 18 wheeler? Can't they hold 30 or so big bales?
So far we've had quotes as low as 1.25 per loaded mile.We expect to exceed our original need of 6400 rolls.

OK so it's somewhere about 1030 miles from Houston to Knoxville. So if you could get 30 bales hauled for 1.25/loaded mile it would come out to somewhere around 42.91/bale just for hauling. That is cheap hauling but still would be expensive hay.

krenwic":3jeip1wt said:
have you guys ever thought of using commodities and protein supplements to get through the winter

Please elaborate on these "commodities" you speak of krenwic if you don't mind.

"commodities" such as dried distillers grains, cotton seed, citrus pulp, corn gluten pellets, etc. can be used solely by themselves or mixed to create feed for your heifers, cows, etc. Often times, these more "consistent" products can be fed for almost the same price as rolled hay. Ex) If hay in your area is costing $50/roll or roughly $100/ton, you can feed these "commodities" for $100-$130/ton. What does this all mean? The feed mixture will be double and perhaps triple in protein as compared to the best hay you can feed which runs 8-12% in protein. So you can feed a 20% supplement feed for pennies on the dollar more than hay. However, this obviously would involve more labor and the facilities to be able to feed these products.

We've only looked into dried distillers grains (DDG) once and at that time our CoOp couldn't get any because they were contracted out into the forseeable future and the price of the DDG was just a few pennies lower than whole kernel corn. Now with the price of corn through the roof that may be different.

Hay here in Morgan co. has gone out of sight had deal with neighbor for 100 rolls at $20 per roll ,he heared of the price gouging and jumped his to 30 a roll i took 15 hoping he has more.This is really bad Ky. was reaLLY DRY but hay shouldnt be that bad a lot of farmers here have already sold out,I dont understand how ione farmer stand and ask another this kind of prices and in morgan co, you get NO HELP unless your in the crowd. I culled and culled may have to sell more will be culling horses this week!

HERE IN SW. OHIO 1ST CUTTING WAS HALF BECAUSE IT GOT FROSTED AT EASTER. THEN DRIED UP - 1 CUT ONE 5 ACRE FIELD AFTER THE ALFALFA BLOOMED JUST TRYING TO STIMULATE IT IF IT RAINED IT MADE 16 SMALL SQUARE BALES !!! ALMOST QUIT RAKING A COUPLE OF TIMESIN DISGUST. JUST CUT IT AGAIN SAT. AFTER WE GOT SOME RAIN IN LATE AUGUST. HOPING FOR 175-200 BALES.
HAVE ALSO HEARD SMALL BALES GOING ANYWHERE FROM 5.00-8.00. MOST PEOPLE CANT HANDLE MUCH OF THAT.

As far as the trucking.. if you can contact a flatbed broker, you might be able to get a decent rate from someone with an empty trailer in Texas going north. Depending on the size of the bales, you should be able to get 24 to 28 bales on a flatbed. But you have to watch your height.

Latest posts