Hay Analysis

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky

Reaction score
We got our hay analysis back yesterday and while it didn't have all the info we wanted the test came back about like I expected. I'm going to try and attach a pic of the report and a link to the sheet I used to calculate things out. What I came up with was that the hay meets a lactating cows needs without supplements. We are feeding 30# of hay and 4# of 14% commodity mix a day and don't plan on changing anything. Let me know what y'all think, we've only sent samples out once or twice before so could be missing something.

UW-Madison
https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu › ...PDF
Hay Analysis Guide for Beef Cattle – Determining Winter Feed Needs

Screenshot_20231223_081935_Drive.jpg

There must be more to the feed analysis than just the page you showed?
By my understanding 7.5% crude protein is not enough. 11% for a lactating beef cow at peak milk I think is ideal, so around 3-3.5 lbs. per day. Certainly not enough for a cow in third trimester.

Here is another tool that is geared closer to our East Texas conditions and grasses (Bahia, coastal, Tifton 85). It was developed by University of Florida.

There must be more to the feed analysis than just the page you showed?
By my understanding 7.5% crude protein is not enough. 11% for a lactating beef cow at peak milk I think is ideal, so around 3-3.5 lbs. per day. Certainly not enough for a cow in third trimester.
The sheet shows 2.19 pounds per day for a cow 1 month prior to calving. The sheet I attached is all they sent me back. I figured it would at least have the dry matter on it.

Yeah... no.
Below 7% CP, there's not enough N present to allow the rumen microherd to digest the hay. Yours is barely over that point.
I'd be afraid that if that's all I were feeding, I'd have cows starving to death with a rumen full of barely digestible hay, necessitating them catabolizing body fat and protein stores.

Here is another tool that is geared closer to our East Texas conditions and grasses (Bahia, coastal, Tifton 85). It was developed by University of Florida.

The UF Hay Balancer pretty well aligned with the other work sheet. 30# hay to get 22-24 dry matter intake, CP requirements were 2.06 for a cow 1 month into lactation. By feeding the hay in the analysis and supplementing 4# of 14% feed we are exceeding what the cattle need in both TDN and CP.🤦I need to take some classes on this stuff I think.

The UF Hay Balancer pretty well aligned with the other work sheet. 30# hay to get 22-24 dry matter intake, CP requirements were 2.06 for a cow 1 month into lactation. By feeding the hay in the analysis and supplementing 4# of 14% feed we are exceeding what the cattle need in both TDN and CP.🤦I need to take some classes on this stuff I think.
I cant imagine 2.6 crude protein being enough for anything. Especially not for a lactating cow.

Wife used, for years, either the UofMN beef cow ration balancer or the OSU CowCulator.
Both allow you to input details from hay/feed analysis, breed of cow, weight/frame, stage of pregnancy or lactation, BCS and how much BCS you're willing to lose over the feeding period, etc..
Takes a little getting used to, but they're pretty much 'plug and chug'. Hay was always the limiting factor for us, so she would decide how much - most years, 25#/hd/day - hay would be fed, then adjust DDG supplementation to meet necessary DM, TDN, and CP needs.

I cant imagine 2.6 crude protein being enough for anything. Especially not for a lactating cow.
All the articles I've been reading say 2-2.5 pounds of protein for a lactating cow. I honestly had no idea how much protein a cow needed. I've been feeding 25-30# of hay a day and 4# of 14% commodity mix for years now on the advice of one of the bigger ranchers in the area. The reason I feed the 14% commodity instead of a 18% commodity or 20% cubes is because I feed cows and weaning size/yearlings the same feed. Feeding yearlings the 18% will make them eat the bark off a tree. I'm all ears if someone finds some better info. The energy the feed has in it seems to be just as important as the protein. I'm going to try and get a feed breakdown from our supplier Tuesday to better figure this.

All the articles I've been reading say 2-2.5 pounds of protein for a lactating cow. I honestly had no idea how much protein a cow needed. I've been feeding 25-30# of hay a day and 4# of 14% commodity mix for years now on the advice of one of the bigger ranchers in the area. The reason I feed the 14% commodity instead of a 18% commodity or 20% cubes is because I feed cows and weaning size/yearlings the same feed. Feeding yearlings the 18% will make them eat the bark off a tree. I'm all ears if someone finds some better info. The energy the feed has in it seems to be just as important as the protein. I'm going to try and get a feed breakdown from our supplier Tuesday to better figure this.
I wasn't reading it correctly. 2.5 lb of protein and i was reading 2.5% protein which is not much at all.

Have a question about the UF hay balancer sheet.

What does "months of lactation" mean. Is that how many months since giving birth or months till you wean the calf or something else?

My math says you are hitting your 2.5 lb/day target for protein with a little extra.

30 pounds of hay @ 7.5% protein = 2.25 lbs of protein.
4 pounds of feed @ 14% protein = .56 lbs of protein

2.25 + .56 = 2.81 pounds of protein per day

Latest posts