Soybean hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Logan52

Reaction score
Several around here had trouble getting a good herbicide kill on their soybean fields this year, particularly on sod ground.
A friend had so much fescue, Johnsongrass and foxtail in his the combiner just took off the top of the plants and left over half in the field, saying it would clog his combine. My friend rolled what was left into 4X5 rolls and delivered some to me for $35 a roll (pretty heavy stuff).
It looks well cured and about half fairly well filled out beans.
Anyone fed anything like this? Hay is scarce here and I cannot afford to be choosy,

Several around here had trouble getting a good herbicide kill on their soybean fields this year, particularly on sod ground.
A friend had so much fescue, Johnsongrass and foxtail in his the combiner just took off the top of the plants and left over half in the field, saying it would clog his combine. My friend rolled what was left into 4X5 rolls and delivered some to me for $35 a roll (pretty heavy stuff).
Anyone fed anything like this? Hay is scarce here and I cannot afford to be choosy,
Have done it many a times. And there are some people that grind it up with grain or silage and feed it that way.

I would love to have it.

I don't like feeding foxtail. Anything with foxtail in it is pretty questionable. Too many abscesses and do it yourself surgeries.

I'm not sure I understand your post. If the heads were removed by the combine prior to baling... maybe.

I know foxtail can occasionally cause issues with horses, but I've never heard of an issue with cattle. Around here, if you don't want to feed foxtail you may as well sell the cattle before winter. It can dominate the second cutting some years.

Our foxtail here is a different plant than that out west. It is a summer annual grass that cattle do not particularly like, but it does not harm them.
I have fed lots of foxtail hay over the years with no bad effects.

The man running the combine only cut the soybeans that stood high above the weeds and grasses. He left about 18 inches that my friend mowed and baled.

Our foxtail here is a different plant than that out west. It is a summer annual grass that cattle do not particularly like, but it does not harm them.
I have fed lots of foxtail hay over the years with no bad effects.

The man running the combine only cut the soybeans that stood high above the weeds and grasses. He left about 18 inches that my friend mowed and baled.
Well that's interesting that foxtail is different in the eastern states. Where I've had it the seed tops very commonly get in dog ears and the seed will work it's way into the flesh until it can do real damage... and in cattle it will create a huge abscess, usually in the jaw or throat. I've had young animals with more than one softball sized abscess and they never grew well if the infections didn't get drained and healed.

Top is what we have. Nothing wrong with it. The other looks nasty, no wonder those of you that have it are wary of it.

I fed hay with the seed heads from the one in it. The calves developed ulcers in their mouths from the seeds and could barely eat. They did recover after switching hays but it was pretty distressing to see the bloody drool until they healed.

Top is what we have. Nothing wrong with it. The other looks nasty, no wonder those of you that have it are wary of it.
We have the one in the top picture . Never see it in continuous pasture. I sometimes get it in my rotation.
It gets tough and protein drops fast once mature. Mostly filler in hay.

Latest posts