big hay problem!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39":32v89gnx said:
=========
Tuck...,

Point well made.

We know a fellow up in Marysville Indiana who has about 40 acres of JG and he cuts it 2-3, sometimes 4 times each year. We have been watching and his cows in late winter look great.
Our Angus bulls there do well. I think he is on to something.

We recently delivered two bulls there and brought back 9 bales. We plan to seperate and winter 3-4 cows on it this time and confirm our feelings.

The neighbors just have to understand.

I didn't know you could cut Johnson grass that much. It don't come on until after a first cutting down here. The only cutting of JG comes around August.

The fella that ownes Cattlemens livestock market went to Kansas and bought 25 1400lbs 4x4x8 big square bales of grass hay, They auctioned it off Monday and it went for $90.

I can remember a year all our hay was fed by Oct. 1. We had 30 dairy cows at that time. We went to the train station to get hay all winter. I'm not to bad here in Pa. I have enough. I've heard there is alot short on hay.

Wewild":2kiskkxj said:
preston39":2kiskkxj said:
=========
Tuck...,

Point well made.

We know a fellow up in Marysville Indiana who has about 40 acres of JG and he cuts it 2-3, sometimes 4 times each year. We have been watching and his cows in late winter look great.
Our Angus bulls there do well. I think he is on to something.

We recently delivered two bulls there and brought back 9 bales. We plan to seperate and winter 3-4 cows on it this time and confirm our feelings.

The neighbors just have to understand.

I didn't know you could cut Johnson grass that much. It don't come on until after a first cutting down here. The only cutting of JG comes around August.

============
I have seen his JG waist high by May 10. He cuts it just as the head starts forming. The stalk is about the size of a large pencil and is very leafy.

Keep in mind this is a JG sowed feld, ferterlized and cared for as a regular hay field. You can kill it by close pasturing.

Latest posts