Best Breeding Strategy for 1 -2 Cow Owner

Help Support CattleToday:

MichaelB

Reaction score
This year I will have two Tarentaise cows to breed. One is my Tazzie, who gave me a great Angus cross steer last year and will have a purebred Tarentaise this year. The other will be a yearling Tarentaise heifer.

What options do backyard breeders have to get their cows bred? Both will be bred to Black Angus. The AI tech estimates that it will cost me about $500 if she has to come out to my farm to breed, as she will have to bring stocks; if I transport my cows to their practice in the next county, it will cost about $275 (plus straws). Are those costs common for AI (I'm in north-central Virginia)? Do bull owners provide live cover to small breeders, and if so, what does that typically cost? Would I bring my cows to their bull, or is it more common for them to deliver the bull to my farm?

I'm curious to know what options might be out there. Certainly AI would allow me access to better sires, but I don't know it that would be cost effective when I'm breeding for a terminal cross anyway.

Thanks for your input.

Michael

The AI tech sounds high to me. Maybe because of the travel distance??

What we did at first was haul ours to a friend's and turn out with their bull, pick 'em up after he pulled the bull. He also AI'd some when his schedule allowed. This is someone who we knew had good herd health practices, and we wormed and vaccinated at our respective ends before we merged the cattle. Also someone who had good quality bulls.

Seems like your challenge is going to be the first calf heifer, if you find a bull to rent or borrow, is the calving ease there.

Sounds like the A.I. tech saw you coming from a mile away, that is super high. I would look for somebody else to A.I. them for you.

GRTiger85":293s860r said:
Sounds like the A.I. tech saw you coming from a mile away, that is super high. I would look for somebody else to A.I. them for you.
If I took mine to the vet it would be $20.00.

I'd take that money and build myself some stocks. You'll need it for other things anyway (vet visits, calving etc).

I pay $20 for the frist cow to be A.I. and $10 for every cow there after. I dont have stocks, I just have a homemade squeeze pen (i put a round pen pannel in a corner of the barn and put the cow in between the pannel and the wall and push the pannel against her and tie it to an o ring in the wall..wish i had a pic) and they just stand there while she does it, unless its one of my halter trained cows, then i just hold them. Id check around some more.

MichaelB":22gln0cc said:
This year I will have two Tarentaise cows to breed. One is my Tazzie, who gave me a great Angus cross steer last year and will have a purebred Tarentaise this year. The other will be a yearling Tarentaise heifer.

What options do backyard breeders have to get their cows bred? Both will be bred to Black Angus. The AI tech estimates that it will cost me about $500 if she has to come out to my farm to breed, as she will have to bring stocks; if I transport my cows to their practice in the next county, it will cost about $275 (plus straws). Are those costs common for AI
Michael

The price seems crazy high to me, sounds like the AI tech doesn't want to do it unless you pay an outragous price. You do need to get some kind of safe working system, chute, ect. But I would think you could find a Vet to haul them to that will synch them and get them bred. It means two to three trips, but I would think it would be far less than your current quotes. Also try your local Genex, Select sires, and ABS reps for input and help. I synch my herd using a CIDR method, the final cost of drugs and CIDR is about $20 per head (quick guess, but close) plus the cost of the semen.

Alan

I'm glad I talked to you guys. ;)

I do have a Medina hinge setup for holding my cows, which one of the longhorn breeders on this board told me about, and I use that for worming and vaccinations. The AI tech didn't seem to want to use that, and part of the cost was coming back out to insert the CIDRs. I thought her prices were awfully high, especially if I was going to take my girls to their establishment to be bred.

Even in my part of Virginia I didn't think that was a very competitive price, so I will investigate other possible sources of AI. I also agree with MO_Cows that live cover probably won't give me the EPDs for birthweight and weaning weights that I will want, not to mention the increased risk of disease.

Thanks, I really appreciate your perspectives.

Michael

Are there any dairies in the area? Most dairies do at least some AI work. Maybe you could work out a deal with them to breed your cows.

Ok here is a real newbie question for you guys but what are "stocks". I will be in a similar situation soon. I will have four Galloway cows with calves in the spring and I would like to get them bred by the fall.

I might consider a young bull next year but it would be nice to be able to do AI this year and see how it works out.

I'm a tad concerned about the concept of using artificial means of syncing my cows to bring them into estrus at the right time but it sounds like that is what I would have to do if I would like to have a high probability of success with AI.

canoetrpr":3necm1t5 said:
Ok here is a real newbie question for you guys but what are "stocks". I will be in a similar situation soon. I will have four Galloway cows with calves in the spring and I would like to get them bred by the fall.

I might consider a young bull next year but it would be nice to be able to do AI this year and see how it works out.

I'm a tad concerned about the concept of using artificial means of syncing my cows to bring them into estrus at the right time but it sounds like that is what I would have to do if I would like to have a high probability of success with AI.
synching can seem like a bit much at first, but it definitely is worth it if you have several cows, especially if you don't have a lot of time to sit around and watch for heats. Conception rates vary by the method you use, but it saves you by only having the tech out once to do them all. Since you only have four cows, having them all calve at the same time shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

As a fellow "smalltime" cattle owner..I ran into a similar issue last year when I investigated AI for my one cow. I found a bull I wanted a straw from, found a tech in the area..but the tech said he really felt Id be wasting my money on AI-ing, as he charged a "flat rate", didnt care how many cows he did..he instead offered the service of his really stellar Maine Anjou bull.

My local vet wont AI cattle..the only vet that will is about 1 1/2 hour south of me..:(

I ended up taking the cow to the MA bull.

I am wanting to take a course on AIing..so I can eliviate this nonsense..and open up the possabilities of AI for my small herd.

This year I have two that will be bred..one being a heifer..so will be investigating possabilities..

I guess this doesnt offer a whole bunch..more of a "I feel your pain" type of post. ;-)

Well, MichealB hang in there! I really can't say much on how to do the right thing. I very new at this. I can tell you what happen in my case though. This is my second year in raising cattle. I only have 2 heirfers, and to top it they are pets. My grandkids shows them at the fair. Everyday is a learning process. This forum has given good advice, sometimes it hard to take in what they say. But, some of this people have been doing it their whole life. Anyway back to my story. I waited till they where about to turn 2. Being involed with 4-h helped alot. One of the other kids parents raises black angus, They had a bull that was 18 month old. Wanted to try him out on bredding. So they bought the bull to me. At first he was nice, then turn kinda of bully. So,I became scarced of him, which he knew I was. Mistake 1. So only after 6 weeks we thought that nothing happen since I didn't see no contact either. They picked him up. Mistake 2 I had one of the heirfers nursing on the other. They are beef cows should have no milk until after calfing.Well to put a twist on thing Reba does have milk, the Vet said it was good milk too, and is about 4/5 month pregnant, and so is Sara-lu. Now in her own coral to keep them apart to try to break her habit.Borrowed the panels from a FFA teacher. If that does not work, I have to remove her, by getting a new family for her or freezer. And the cost was only a couple of steaks. So, next time I try to bred I will take the cow to the bull. AI is still in thought only. I won't go thur the hassle of have a bull in my yard again. And wondering if he is nice or Bully. Good luck in finding your best ways of bredding. There is a way to work for everyone that tries it. I belive they are all good. Just doesn't work for everyone.

Thanks for the recent posts. I know that the range of experience is quite broad on this board, but you can glean some interesting information from the larger commercial guys.

I've decided to AI, and have been perusing the Black Angus sires from Select Sires, with an emphasis on CED and BW numbers. All three candidates seem to have the same sire, but I guess that proves the EPD.

Michael

I was really astounded by the ease of calving and the quality that we had from using 6I6

I was really astounded by the ease of calving and the quality that we had from using 6I6

We had the same experience with 6i6. I was surprised to see that he is still alive and 14 years old. Talk about longevity!

Farmgirl

MichaelB":2vusc3k3 said:
Thanks for the recent posts. I know that the range of experience is quite broad on this board, but you can glean some interesting information from the larger commercial guys.

I've decided to AI, and have been perusing the Black Angus sires from Select Sires, with an emphasis on CED and BW numbers. All three candidates seem to have the same sire, but I guess that proves the EPD.

Michael

Currently we are using only select sire semen. We are very happy with the birth weights, docility, up and nursing VERY quickly as well as growth with most sires. Select Sires info has been very accurate to date. If there are any sires your specifically looking at id be happy to tell you if we've got cattle on the ground or in production from them and how they are performing as well as birthweights etc.
Double R

Latest posts