Best Angus bull the Past Decade

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH":zk9x9zej said:
707 linebred?

Forgive me I don't know angus pedigrees.

707 himself wasn't linebred- but as the article Son of Butch posted talked of - he himself was used in many linebreeding programs and over the years showed up multiple times on both the top and bottom of many pedigrees..
I'm kind of biased- as one of the best bulls I've used in the last 10 years Whitney Creek Legacy 726T #15800327 was a Rito 707 grandson and traced back 18 times to 707.. Thru him and his son- Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X #16741353 they've played a major role in building our current herd..

Neat article Son of Butch..

I'm dragging this thing back to life. For me this was nostalgic, back when I used to post as High Voltage. I remember some of these old posters and wonder where they've gone. Here we are a dozen years later, EXT has made a come back, Precision was a disaster and Future Direction disappeared. Two young bulls from that time, have made the biggest impact over the last ten years Final Answer and In Focus.

CreekAngus said:
I'm dragging this thing back to life. For me this was nostalgic, back when I used to post as High Voltage. I remember some of these old posters and wonder where they've gone. Here we are a dozen years later, EXT has made a come back, Precision was a disaster and Future Direction disappeared. Two young bulls from that time, have made the biggest impact over the last ten years Final Answer and In Focus.

Agree, I looked back and saw my post saying Final Answer, but I think you are more right than I was, by including In Focus. Some may disagree but it would be real hard pressed to mention a bull as well known and used as In Focus. Multiple calving ease sons in AI, some more powerful sons like Connealy In Focus, and then there is TenX that had made his own legacy with sons and grandsons. I just don't see many Bulls reaching those levels.

Final Answer while not perfect was by far the more superior cow maker. Udder quality and feet issues separate the two by a mile. We never used FA or any of his sons because we already had quite a bit of 8180 through the use of several 6595.

Really pretty amazing the impact that 8180 ended up having through Final Answer and 004.

What's even more interesting to me is that from the beginning of this thread 12 years ago the breed has further separated into different factions. Maybe it is only my own awareness that has changed but the variations across the different segments of the breed are quite amazing today.

Ky hills said:
CreekAngus said:

Agree, I looked back and saw my post saying Final Answer, but I think you are more right than I was, by including In Focus. Some may disagree but it would be real hard pressed to mention a bull as well known and used as In Focus. Multiple calving ease sons in AI, some more powerful sons like Connealy In Focus, and then there is TenX that had made his own legacy with sons and grandsons. I just don't see many Bulls reaching those levels.
Original post was nearly 12 years ago.
Now we all know today SAV President is the greatest bull to ever set foot on earth...
he has to be as his recorded sale price eclipsed all records.
Hot tip and Bold prediction:
Talk about a game changer...
12 years from now he'll be held in high esteem as the father of the fart-less cow. :tiphat:

Thanks for resurrecting this thread Creek.
Quite the trip down memory lane. To have had a crystal ball back then woulda been something. :nod:

Ky hills said:
CreekAngus said:

So with that, I guess you would have to say SAF Fame from that era quite possibly was the most influential. I have a daughter out of Connealy In Focus and I think he was under utilized.

Jake said:
Really pretty amazing the impact that 8180 ended up having through Final Answer and 004.

What's even more interesting to me is that from the beginning of this thread 12 years ago the breed has further separated into different factions. Maybe it is only my own awareness that has changed but the variations across the different segments of the breed are quite amazing today.
At that time there was a lot of different factions as well and I think it was more extreme, with all sorts of variations. Think we have a size battle now, it was a war back then.

Son of Butch said:
Ky hills said:
CreekAngus said:

Original post was nearly 12 years ago.
Now we all know today SAV President is the greatest bull to ever set foot on earth...
he has to be as his recorded sale price eclipsed all records.
Hot tip and Bold prediction:
Talk about a game changer...
12 years from now he'll be held in high esteem as the father of the fart-less cow. :tiphat:

In twelve years it will be interesting to see what bulls do stand the test of time. Never in my wildest would I have thought SAF Fame would end up making a huge impact on the breed or that 1680 would be erased from history. 12 years back, my bet would have been on the New Design bulls, New Day and Midland........CRASH. A couple of my favorites that have stood the test of time. VRD, Dateline and Alliance.

It is interesting to see the progression of opinions on this thread. I still love my BR Midland son, Maxum. He will be 10 this year and still sires knock out replacements on our Limi and Angus herds every single year! In fact, I still have a full sib embryo to Maxum in one of my tanks that may get put in a cow this year, and I still pick up Midland semen every chance I get!

I'm kind of suprised no one has mentioned Hoover Dam (maybe he was referred to by number, not name?). He seems to make daughters worthy of the replacement pen and improves feet, something much needed in the Angus breed.

I also think Hoover Dam is worth a mention as I believe his daughters are pretty good based off of the few we have had. Bismarck is another bull that is pretty solid all around too.
I may be in the minority with this opinion, but I like the New Design 036, Predestined cattle and their descendents from the aspect of commercial feeder calves. They have some frame and grow to them.

Boot Jack Bulls said:
It is interesting to see the progression of opinions on this thread. I still love my BR Midland son, Maxum. He will be 10 this year and still sires knock out replacements on our Limi and Angus herds every single year! In fact, I still have a full sib embryo to Maxum in one of my tanks that may get put in a cow this year, and I still pick up Midland semen every chance I get!

I'm kind of suprised no one has mentioned Hoover Dam (maybe he was referred to by number, not name?). He seems to make daughters worthy of the replacement pen and improves feet, something much needed in the Angus breed.

Hoover Dam daughters are top notch

Boot Jack Bulls said:

If I'm guessing right Midland was a casualty of the Precision debacle.

I would agree with Hoover Dam. He should be right up there for the past 10 years. Definitely one of the "Best Angus bulls of the past decade."

Not sure we'll ever see bulls get used by the commercial and seedstock producers like we did with Mytty In Focus and SAV Final Answer. There are just too many choices out there these days.

Luckiamute said:
I would agree with Hoover Dam. He should be right up there for the past 10 years. Definitely one of the "Best Angus bulls of the past decade."

Not sure we'll ever see bulls get used by the commercial and seedstock producers like we did with Mytty In Focus and SAV Final Answer. There are just too many choices out there these days.

I think there is one bull right now who just might carry that flag "Cowboy Up". I have no skin in the game with that bull, haven't used him myself, sure think he will be used a lot in both commercial and seed stock. America....a resounding "NO"

CreekAngus said:
Luckiamute said:

Personal opinion here but it won't be cowboy up. Not enough calving ease there. That's how you get the commercial use. Have to be able to get into the big heifer breeding projects and then add value after that either through females or curve bending to continue to get the use.

I think there is one bull right now who just might carry that flag "Cowboy Up". I have no skin in the game with that bull, haven't used him myself, sure think he will be used a lot in both commercial and seed stock. America....a resounding "NO"

Luckiamute said:

You bring a good point, the choices are piling up year after year. Each year AI site catalogs add many new Bulls, and most registered breeders sample several new Bulls. Other registered breeders and commercial breeders then have several choices when looking for Bulls from them.
I agree that going forward so many new Bulls being promoted each year there could result in a diminished heavy usage of Bulls over multiple years. I think Bulls like Final Answer and In Focus hit enough desirable traits, starting with consistent calving ease and good growth that it held attention on them and they became go to sires for registered breeders. Then by that heavy use over several years they became household names for many commercial producers looking for Bulls reliable in those traits as well.

Latest posts