Beltie calves 2014

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
Its almost time for weaning. So far our beltie cows are doing a good job with their calves.
March steer calf out of second calver
IMG_20140925_112002_051_zpsd6714bf4.jpg

IMG_20140929_124330_240_zps6090eecf.jpg

June steer calf, a little late but he's filling out nicely and should be do well at the sale barn.
IMG_20140929_124722_850_zps78f99bbc.jpg

The fall bull calf just into a month old today.
IMG_20140929_124904_125_zps1d67734a.jpg

Positive and negative comments welcome.

Positive- cows and calves look good.

Negative- Every time I see one of those belties I get a craving for oreos.

Thank you! I really need to take pictures of Angus calves soon, they are at another pasture 12 miles away from home.

Cattle look great. A lot of money can be made putting the right Bulls over belties and/or solid Galloways. Mine crossed beautifully with my Anxiety Bulls. Thickened them up everywhere they were lacking. Finished on grass wonderfully.

You need to use a Herf bull to get the elusive panda calf :)

AllForage":342857ml said:
Cattle look great. A lot of money can be made putting the right Bulls over belties and/or solid Galloways. Mine crossed beautifully with my Anxiety Bulls. Thickened them up everywhere they were lacking. Finished on grass wonderfully.

You need to use a Herf bull to get the elusive panda calf :)
Lots of Galloway cross cows makes a great momma cow and easy keepers than purebred Angus cows or black baldy cows IMO. I've been thinking about Hereford bull covering our black cows for black baldy calves (and maybe some pandas) but decided to go with Sim bull.

Dogs and Cows":1du8v7pp said:
Hi Taurus...really nice looking cattle! Thanks for showing! If I may ask, why do you raise the belted cattle? I assume you love the look in the pasture? I know I would! The reason I am asking is because they would be docked here pretty good at the barn. They classify them as " exotic" lol! Do you sell at the barn, freezer beef? Thanks a million, and beautiful animals!

Tim
All of the belties (and some solids) can be traced all way to a registered belted Galloway heifer that I used to show in FFA and 4-H. That heifer was a gift from my late grandpa before he passed away few months later. I just loved their looks but they are easy keepers, better mothering abilities, better resistant against most diseases and they weans bigger calves when crossing to another breed. Ive also found out that they are less picky with what they eats. I used to got docked at the sale barns in early years but not anymore. Our beltie cross calves sells just well as solid black calves at the sale barn. The top calves of the day have been always from beltie cows. I think they docked them only if they are either purebred belted galloways or Dutch Belted calves. The folks around here are slowly accepts beltie cross cows as an useful commercial cow. So far the beltie cross cows are still in their pastures. You'd think if they don't like these beltie cows, they could just get rid of them with today's high prices.

I always loved the betled cattle. I used to live in New England and a couple of guys would use them in oxen pulling. I always loved when those guys showed up. Such cool looking cattle.

Latest posts