BELTIE!

Help Support CattleToday:

I wonder if the belt comes back through in future generations from a solid calf?
Getting ready to turn a RWF Simmental bull out with cows and a BWF out with heifers got a belt in each group might get a white face with belt out of one of them at some point.
Never seen a white face beltie... but never really been very interested in belties so maybe never noticed. Kind of strange how cattle have breedable patterns.

Never seen a white face beltie... but never really been very interested in belties so maybe never noticed. Kind of strange how cattle have breedable patterns.
Years ago when I was a small child, there a few Belted Galloway herds around and ever once in a while my parent would end up with one or two in the bunches of feeder calves (stockers) they would buy.
I remember one time having a belted steer with a white face. It was by a Hereford bull I'm sure.

I expect.....
Years ago when I was a small child, there a few Belted Galloway herds around and ever once in a while my parent would end up with one or two in the bunches of feeder calves (stockers) they would buy.
I remember one time having a belted steer with a white face. It was by a Hereford bull I'm sure.
A hereford type with LOTS of chrome outta this one

A totally non-belted calf out of a belted cow like that is very unusual... the belt tends to be very dominant... following down several generations in what experience I have had with them.

The picture of that mini calf with mini-hereford and mini-belted shows a pretty nice calf... the mini's are a niche thing... I like the belted galloways... although I do not consider them a mini breed....to me a mini breed is less than 6-700 lbs at maturity and galloways are bigger than that. Most are in the 1,000-1200 lbs size and bulls bigger. But that belt has created a real "obstacle" for selling the calves as feeders. Great if you can direct market them as halves or quarters.... and if you can raise them to the 1,000 lb + weight and sell as beef , they do okay... but not as good as a black would do.
The double heavy hair coat actually makes for less trim and less external carcass fat but the couple I have had processed had good internal marbling in the meat. The ones I had always did good in the cold and wet miserable weather...

@farmerjan i agree I don't consider regular Belted Galloways to be miniature but rather a smaller normal sized breed.
I'd say our cow is around 1000 pounds maybe a little more. The belted heifer calf she had on her when we bought her was probably around 500 or a little more and now probably 700 or better.
They don't take to hot weather very well, we had a fairly mild summer and both belts spent a lot of time in ponds.

Here's your herd bull Murray.
He's actually a pretty good calf!
No, no, and he!! No
But no, no, no.
I better not! 🤣

I have a nice little mini angus bull and friend that wants a "few" cattle on their place. I'm gonna see if I can lease their 15 acres and just put all of em over there!

Headed to the sale barn?
Yes. Both minis and the 2 mini bulls too!
?????????
Changing some things.

I really wanted to see her raise a calf. But I have other cows I'm more partial to. Seven and Ditto and Bessie especially. I do still have the gold cow. Tho she may go too soon. Curious what prices are after the turkey day break

Yes. Both minis and the 2 mini bulls too!

Changing some things.

I really wanted to see her raise a calf. But I have other cows I'm more partial to. Seven and Ditto and Bessie especially. I do still have the gold cow. Tho she may go too soon. Curious what prices are after the turkey day break
Well something must have happened. What prompted the change?

Well something must have happened. What prompted the change?
🤣
She who must be obeyed......

That's part of the story. Drought last year really messed w her head. She's afraid we are gonna run outta water again.
I also want to focus on other things. I have absolutely no projects here at home now. I'd like to spend some time with my wife before she leaves me. Seriously!

All these projects are super FUN for me. But it takes up a LOT of time.

Lost my Mom, Grandmother, and Dad in less than a years time. Remember me saying something about ya don't know certain things until they are gone??

Yeah.
That.
I'm gonna be a bit boring for a while.

🤣
She who must be obeyed......

That's part of the story. Drought last year really messed w her head. She's afraid we are gonna run outta water again.
I also want to focus on other things. I have absolutely no projects here at home now. I'd like to spend some time with my wife before she leaves me. Seriously!

All these projects are super FUN for me. But it takes up a LOT of time.

Lost my Mom, Grandmother, and Dad in less than a years time. Remember me saying something about ya don't know certain things until they are gone??

Yeah.
That.
I'm gonna be a bit boring for a while.
Yeah... Good wives take priority. And they are worth gold. And the losses in such a short time weigh a lot. We're all rooting for ya...