Belted galloway

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy":27q0qz0p said:
WalnutCrest, I still have one SH cow here and boy she will eat everything, even sedge grass, reeds and poor quality hay. I live by wildlife refuge so I'm surrounding with swamplands and heavily woodlands. We didnt have much grazing areas for our livestock and the best grassland were reserved for hay crops. I gets frustrated when the angus cows bellows and demanding us to feed them hay even there is plenty of good greens in the pasture. I think the breeds that evolved in harsh environment, they were meant to not afford to be fussy to survive.

+1

The thriftiness afforded to the commercial cattleman by adding a dose of unusual blood is something more should consider ... ESPECIALLY ... if there is a mechanism for them to add this sort of genetics to their herd w/o short-changing themselves at the scale (which is a rarity among hardier breeds).

WalnutCrest is right, the addition of a % of adapted genetics will help in reducing costs by improving adapted traits such as climatic adaptation, parasite and disease resistance, and the heterosis never hurts in a crossbreeding program. This can also work the other way - put a small% of a slick haired, faster growing breed over the Galloways or Highlanders to encourage an earlier and cleaner shed in early spring, and reduce finishing time.

Yes commercialfarmer it is a serious question. Unfortunately newfoundland doesn't have an AI tech. The dairy farmers either AI themselves or has breeder bulls of their own. Everyone else that has beef cattle puts them on a local pasture. It could be a any bull on there from a hereford to an angus. So I just wanted to know what the thoughts where of the breed and the temperament of the breed. If I bought a bull I could lease him out after I was done wit him. And then after a couple of years I could market him either alive or butchered.

Didn't intend to distract from your search of information. Just seemed like if you hadn't considered it, it might offer additional options and solve some logistics being a technique that's been around a while. Galloway's are an interesting breed. Short horns are credited with giving the murray gray it's carcass characteristics, but there are more than a few people around that believe a galloway was the real origin.

If you are not only limited to belted, there is a breeder on here that has solid colored galloway I always thought would be interesting if I was in a colder climate. I really liked a particular bull- Pericles. Here is a link. http://www.blegengalloways.com/id16.html

Petercoates87":2u0qzqs8 said:
Yes commercialfarmer it is a serious question. Unfortunately newfoundland doesn't have an AI tech. The dairy farmers either AI themselves or has breeder bulls of their own. Everyone else that has beef cattle puts them on a local pasture. It could be a any bull on there from a hereford to an angus. So I just wanted to know what the thoughts where of the breed and the temperament of the breed. If I bought a bull I could lease him out after I was done wit him. And then after a couple of years I could market him either alive or butchered.
you could try asking one of the dairy farmres to AI for you

It's just a question I was wondering guys cause here our local pastures aren't what I'd call great grazing. The pastures are usually rough cleared which makes it hard to spread manure over in spring. And besides that any local farmer that butchers a bull that's a year old and dresses 4-5 hundred pounds is usually happy bout that. I see on here that some guys got bulls 6-7 months old and 800 lbs on the hoof. Like that's really good. I got a hereford cross bull that 8 months old I measured him yesterday and he is only about 530 lbs. Wondering if I had a bull more suited to the area he would make nice cross bred calves like a beltie.

You'll know more about the bull when he's 12-15 months, but he sounds pretty reasonable to me (assuming he was raised on your rock and he's not been given any grain)...except, I wouldn't expect a Hereford X bull on Belted cows would give you a belt only, as you'd probably get a belly and a face, too.

Peter-

For some reason I cannot seem to get to you via email or PM.

I have found you a top-notch Belted Galloway bull in New York.
You can pick him up at the border in Champlain NY for about $2500. All paperwork included.

He would certainly be popular in your area. He is not of small type. He will bring growth to a Beltie herd.

You can find him on Belted Galloway Classifieds on Facebook.

You can also email me at [email protected] for more info and pix.

Best wishes sir-

Bull price is $2000.
$500 to cover transportation, export/import fees
and health papers.

I sell my unproven but fertile yearling bulls off the farm for $3500.

I would assume Canadian prices are commensurate, just at a different
exchange rate.

Ok walnut that makes me feel a Lil better about him. But he is goin in the freezer as he is related to both my cows. He wasn't given any grain feed til just this past weekend. Now I'm giving him the same amount of veggies and hay plus about 1-2lbs of feed a day

But yeah llbux the exchange rite now is the shits . And besides I saw on Kijiji this fall a couple of beltie cattle were for sale in the maritimes. Which would make shipping a Lil cheeper.

Petercoates87 if you go to the Canadian Galloway Webpage and under Publications, he has an Ad in the 2015 Advance - the new Advance will be coming out soon : ) Good Luck with your search!

Besides whatever I pick to get belted or not I'd rather it be a young calf. That way I can finish raising him and know what temperment he is.

Driftwood is one of the top Beltie herds in America.

They are in South Carolina

I wish I could post some pix, but I don't have them on a site I can post from.

Would anybody be able to help post if I send them pix of some Belties? If so, please email me at [email protected] and I can attach pix to a reply. Thanks!

I made an inquiry on the beginner page about simplifying the posting of pictures. I am on other forums and it is as simple as attaching a picture from your phone or computer rather than cutting and pasting URLs from a storage site.

Here for you!
img_71831_zpsiyl8crnx.jpg
our herdsire. He was many times champ at Beltie shows.
FB_20151219_21_56_01_Saved_Picture_zpskch6qiij.jpg
January 2015 heifer that we raised and was reserve national champion at Louisville last fall.
WP_20160123_09_57_55_Pro_zpsmj21upxv.jpg
Third is a pretty baby born last week. She is out of the same cow as the reserve national champion shown above

I pulled the bull off pasture and cows about two or three days before the show.
He had been on pasture for the year prior.

These cattle work well in crossbreeding too. I sent Muddy some
more pix for later posting.

I got another beautiful Beltie heifer calf the other day.

These things are gorgeous.

Would post pix but I don't have them saved to a site on the web.

Latest posts