Belted galloway cows

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93 said:
I was wondering if theres a way you can knock the belt off calves out of belted galloway mamas? they seem like good cows but the calves are only worth cull cow prices at the sale, they will bring 40 to 60 cents a pound with the white belt and im guessing a angus bull wouldnt throw solid black calves.

WOW I would buy all the Belties I could at 40 cents a pound!!!!

Angler said:
MtnCows93 said:
I was wondering if theres a way you can knock the belt off calves out of belted galloway mamas? they seem like good cows but the calves are only worth cull cow prices at the sale, they will bring 40 to 60 cents a pound with the white belt and im guessing a angus bull wouldnt throw solid black calves.

WOW I would buy all the Belties I could at 40 cents a pound!!!!

Yep. Seen purebred hereford heifers bred sell for .77 lb.

I have a Belted Galloway cow. Last year, she had a solid black bull calf out of a red Saler bull. This year she had a grey belted bull out of a Charolais bull. She is bred back to the Charolais bull for next year, but I am moving her to the herd with the Santa Gertrudis bull just for something different on the next calf.

I have a heifer by a registered belted Galloway bull out of a huge beefmaster cow. I got her at one day old due to a blown udder on the momma. I grafted her onto a Jersey cow. She nursed 6 months. She had hay and some pasture and has had some grain all along. So at 20 months she is about 650 pounds. I did breed her in june so she will calve in late march. Right now she is getting 5 pounds of 14% creep a day plus hay. She has been dewormed and she looks and acts healthy. But she is so small and slow growing. She was a 75 pound bw calf. She is tiny compared to my other cattle and I dont have big cattle. I love how belties look and their disposition seems great but they just grow too slow for me. I'm interested in seeing how her calf will grow. She is bred to a brangus/red Angus cross bull.