Belted galloway cows

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
I was wondering if theres a way you can knock the belt off calves out of belted galloway mamas? they seem like good cows but the calves are only worth cull cow prices at the sale, they will bring 40 to 60 cents a pound with the white belt and im guessing a angus bull wouldnt throw solid black calves.

I raises commercial belted momma cows in the commercial herd. Most purebred belted cows usually throws 100% belted calf no matter what
breed the bull is. The crossbred cow usually have 50% chance to have a belted calf. That said if the belted cow is a dun, use Charolais on her and she'll produce some solid white calves. British white bull will remove belts off of some calves but not all calves.

I don't think there is a sure fire way to get rid of the belt. ive Got a cow that is 1/2 Beltie and bred to Angus and Simangus bulls she has thrown calves with full belts, partial belts, and 2 or 3 solid colored ones with no belts in the 16 years I've had her. She's an efficient little cow that still gets around like one half her age, so I've kept her around. Like you said, you will get hammered on the ones the belt shows up on. If you plan to get any, I would go the registered route so you can market to other breeders, or feed out the calves for beef to avoid the big discount at the market.

I have a few belties in the herd and it's always been a toss up if the calves will have the belt. Always feed out the belty steers for beef and keep the heifers.

Last year they all had solid color calves out of a PB simmental bull.

I've had few years without any Belted calves born and we only used Angus bulls. I have 10 belted cows currently but I typically get one to three belted calves per year. We usually kept belted steers for freezer beef every year and I usually sale the females privately. If I get a calf with small partial belted, it goes with the solid calves for sale barn and sold with the group.

ok so its maybe a 50 50 shot, that aint too bad. the ones i was tempted to buy were pairs at the sale mostly dun or red. muddy so your 10 belted cows only throw say 25% belted calves on average the rest solid? if so i wont shy away from buying some. i also herd they eat brush kinda like a longhorn is that so?

My current belted cows are crossbreds, no purebred ones left in my herd. It seems you get more solid calves from the crossbred cows tho but it's usually 50% chance of have a belt but it can be a small stripe or spot to a full big wide belt. Small chrome doesn't bother me, nor do the buyers at the sale barn. It's true these belties are browsers as my environment are pretty wooded & bushy but they cleaned up pretty good and it is true that they're low input cattle. My belties are bred to Hereford bulls currently so we will see if they produce black baldies or pandas this spring. If it were up to me, I'd buy dun cows and put Charolais bull on them.

I bought 3 belted heifer calves in the spring of 2015 for way too many dollars as a novelty gift for my wife. In due time they calved, 2 had very little milk, calves were fostered to other cows. Third on came in late bred that fall.

Some memories stay fresh no matter how long you have them. Those novelty darlings lost us $1000 per head in less than 18 months.

I would "assume" the PB Belties are homozygous for the belt. And, I will "assume" it only takes 1 belt gene to express the belt. So, a homo dam will always have a belted calf, where a crossbred is probably hetero and it will be 50/50.

gcreekrch":35ktwdh3 said:
I bought 3 belted heifer calves in the spring of 2015 for way too many dollars as a novelty gift for my wife. In due time they calved, 2 had very little milk, calves were fostered to other cows. Third on came in late bred that fall.

Some memories stay fresh no matter how long you have them. Those novelty darlings lost us $1000 per head in less than 18 months.
Sounds like you brought bad ones. No different from buying unknown black heifers at sale barn.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2bagc0uv said:
I would "assume" the PB Belties are homozygous for the belt. And, I will "assume" it only takes 1 belt gene to express the belt. So, a homo dam will always have a belted calf, where a crossbred is probably hetero and it will be 50/50.
You are correct. Obviously not all PB belties are homozygous for the belt gene as there are few PB belties are throwing solid calves. That said there isn't a single breed that will actually remove the belt gene in first generation. Charolais and British white just hides it.

:nod:

:pretty:
Muddy":2oizwn12 said:
gcreekrch":2oizwn12 said:

Sounds like you brought bad ones. No different from buying unknown black heifers at sale barn.

No, I bought them as a present for my wife. They got sold in real life market. If they were so good there would be no straight black cattle now would there? They are hobby cattle and nothing more.

gcreekrch":2sge92m3 said:
No, I bought them as a present for my wife. They got sold in real life market. If they were so good there would be no straight black cattle now would there? They are hobby cattle and nothing more.

Funny the Simmental cross calves out of my PB belties grew the best this year and brought the most at the sale. All of mine are the first to breed back, have plenty of milk, and have no problem maintaining condition even when the pasture is marginal.

chevytaHOE5674":1i0zhxoe said:
gcreekrch":1i0zhxoe said:

Funny the Simmental cross calves out of my PB belties grew the best this year and brought the most at the sale. All of mine are the first to breed back, have plenty of milk, and have no problem maintaining condition even when the pasture is marginal.
Our biggest calves have always come from belted cows. The belted cows are the ones who will be calving first. They also maintain their body condition very well during droughts or when the grass are low. I don't have any problems with making money off the belties. Sure they may be a hobby breed, but I think many commercial folks are missing out on several good "hobby" breeds just because they are not black.

Muddy":1trly2wx said:
chevytaHOE5674":1trly2wx said:
gcreekrch":1trly2wx said:

Our biggest calves have always come from belted cows. The belted cows are the ones who will be calving first. They also maintain their body condition very well during droughts or when the grass are low. I don't have any problems with making money off the belties. Sure they may be a hobby breed, but I think many commercial folks are missing out on several good "hobby" breeds just because they are not black.

I am happy they work for you. I actually did a lot of research on the Galloway breed 25 years ago because I am impressed with their hardiness, longevity and mothering abilities. The research ended when the question was put to those who bid on and buy our calves. They all said to that when I added Galloway that they wouldn't be bidding any longer.

Galloways are a slow maturing breed and a big share of them don't fit the feedlot's ideas of in and out as fast as possible. I never said I don't like the breed, I said I have never lost more money on 3 animals in my life, Not going back for another lesson either. ;-)

Oh they're definitely slow maturing beef and I would never suggest a straight Galloway for feedlots, unless it's for crossbreeding programs. The slow gaining, short frame and slow maturity disappeared in the F1 cross. And that's why I don't have any purebred ones left because I like the crossbred cows better. I still have three cows over 14 years old and going strong.

I have a few half Belted Galloway cows in the herd. I agree it's a 50-50 shot when breeding to a solid colour bull. I breed everything Charolais now and the calves come out silver. Funny enough the belt is still there in some. I can see it cause I know to look for it but I doubt most people would notice it. Silver - White - Silver. Had a good laugh first time I noticed.

Rydero said:
I have a few half Belted Galloway cows in the herd. I agree it's a 50-50 shot when breeding to a solid colour bull. I breed everything Charolais now and the calves come out silver. Funny enough the belt is still there in some. I can see it cause I know to look for it but I doubt most people would notice it. Silver - White - Silver. Had a good laugh first time I noticed.
I knew someone who brought a commercial "Charolais" bull from a sale barn, he was solid white. He bred his cows to this bull and when the cows start to dropping the calves...some of them are belted.

If you want see few examples of Charolais x Belted Galloway cross, here they are. From a group on Facebook.

Dun Galloway cow with Char sired calf
[image]126[/image]
Same calf as above pic
[image]125[/image]
Another Dun Belted cow with a Char sired calf
[image]123[/image]
Belted Galloway x Charolais cow with her calf
[image]124[/image]

Latest posts