galloway cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

ram":28heufjc said:
Folks can raise anything they prefer, but I question the why aspect. A Hereford, Angus and lots of other breeds can do well in any environment. So why limit yourself, and why not take advantage of someone else marketing savvy?

True, and I respect that mindset.

That having been said, I grew up raising registered Herefords. Got tired of dealing pink eye, foot rot, and udder issues.
My wife grew up raising registered Angus. "Our Galloway cattle graze circles around the Angus, no need to pamper and supplement, much hardier and disease resistant."

We don't experience near the issues the neighboring herds of "other" breeds do. They feed 60-90 days longer during the winter months and deal with many more health issues, even though they vaccinate for everything under the sun.

Galloway cattle are very adaptable, but bloodlines do differ in that adaptability.

The Galloway breed offers a complete outcross to all of the black hided breeds. Producers are using the Galloway bull or semen on their Angus or Angus derivative herds to gain heterosis.

Here are a couple of our Moto Moto sired 10 month old heifer calves.

First one is a 3/4 blood Galloway
3435_dec_2015.jpg

Second one is a fullblood Galloway.
4715.jpg

Dogs and Cows":3k0mqu85 said:
Harley, can you post some pictures of your animals in their summer coat? I am curious to see how they slick off...especially your Galloway/Angus crosses. Thanks a million!!!

Tim

Here is a 1/2 Galloway X 1/2 Angus six year old cow with her 3/4 Galloway heifer calf in July.
548_and_calf.jpg

Here is an Angus cow with 1/2 blood bull calf at 4 1/2 months.
4004_-_Copy.jpg

Living north of the 49th parallel, we can have some pretty harsh winters. The coldest winters I remember have dipped to the minus--50 F*.
Now most winters do not get that cold, but that kind of cold can be pretty harsh on critters, and how warm cattle stay, is often relative to the volume of feed they eat, fat on their back, or their hair.
Having raised a few different breeds of cattle, -Angus, Simmental, Hereford, Limousin and crosses etc. I have found in general they often leave something to be desired.
Whether it is the general breed temperament (I do understand that handling often effects temperament, and individuals vary), but there is still inbred general breed temperamental tendencies. Around here the joke is that the cow that jumped over the moon ( and your fence) has to be a Simmental or Limo. The cow that went through your fence had to be Angus. And having repaired enough "angus broken fences" ( not only our own cattle,) I tend to agree.
Talking with different Saler breeders, even the ones who like the breed, they will tell you Salers often are quite wild, and seeing Saler cattle "perform", and their handlers covered with severe "gravel rash", I will say the breed tendency is to be on the wild side.
I have had enough experience over the years with different cattle that, only too often, the stereotypes on the different temperaments are often true.
Or there is the issue of breed susceptibility to disease, lack of vigor , or some other issue like low cutability, etc. why I am not interested in raising "traditional" breeds.
The best one I have had is a couple Piedmontese , but they are soooo extremely rare in these parts,( and pretty pricey ) it is hard to find any number of them, to put together a small herd. I have no intention on parting with my Piedmontese, but am looking at the possibility of adding something along the line of Galloway to my field, that is why I am asking people who raise Galloway what they are like.

Nite Hawk, you worry too much about the temperament, diseases or lack of vigor. You can find a right bloodline in the breed (Angus, Hereford, Simmental etc) that meets your requirements.

Muddy":2i2w9ki9 said:
Nite Hawk, you worry too much about the temperament, diseases or lack of vigor. You can find a right bloodline in the breed (Angus, Hereford, Simmental etc) that meets your requirements.
The issues that Nite Hawk is having are the same reasons other producers choose to use Galloway in their programs.

I hear it many times. " I have tried breed XYZ and they just aren't working ", or " I wish I would have used Galloway years ago."

The hybrid vigor achieved really surprises people. They are so used to using Angus derived breeds, they forget what happens when you use a true full blood.

Galloway2":2bfq5o8h said:
Muddy":2bfq5o8h said:
The issues that Nite Hawk is having are the same reasons other producers choose to use Galloway in their programs.

I hear it many times. " I have tried breed XYZ and they just aren't working ", or " I wish I would have used Galloway years ago."

The hybrid vigor achieved really surprises people. They are so used to using Angus derived breeds, they forget what happens when you use a true full blood.
Galloway2, I raises both Galloways and Angus and I see no difference between these two breeds when it comes to temperaments, diseases or lack of vigor. Its called culling and selecting. Even with Angus composites, they still give hybrid vigor and the feedlots are happy with them. I see too many people that tried a breed once, and give up at that then stereotyping it.

I agree with Blegen's having some of the best looking cattle. I have only seen their show cattle and a couple of photos of the herd stock but wow they are good cattle. I raise some Galloway and a few red and black angus, I would comment that on my extremely rough Montana pastures the Galloway cows have taught the angus how to forage they will work the pasture that is for sure. The f1 steers gain weight like crazy you can stand there and watch them grow. They are very good mothers and will protect the calves. If you ain't messing with the calves they are docile. For my climate I love their winter hardiness. The ones I have put into freezer camp have been outstanding. I vote for the breed! Try a few you will like them I'd bet on it.

Worry too much about temperament or disease???
Disease costs MONEY and often slows down rate of gain..
Isn't that what most cattle raisers are trying to do-make money??
Concerning temperament..
In our neck of the woods on different ranches in this area I have seen many ,many extremely wild and yes violent cattle, where they literally would hunt you and deliberately smash into either you, or try to take a horse out from under a rider.
I am not talking about a cornered animal with a calf, I am talking about insane animals that would race across a 20 acre pasture and try to take a horse and rider down.
We have seen it, believe it or not.
We have had –yes angus steers when released from a squeeze with nothing more than the hair clipped off so the brand inspector could see the brand, put family members on top of the squeeze and then try to climb the squeeze so they could kill and smash humans.
We are used to range raised animals, not pasture raised, where they only see a human a few times a summer, and some are extremely spooky, and others can be extremely aggressive, where other animals in the same herd will look at humans cautiously and then move away. Some are so crazy the only cure is the butcher, and others come off the range and calm down and make decent animals that are easy to handle.
To me temperament is definitely important, as it isn't my idea of fun when half a ton or more of crazy cow with an attitude is headed my way.,They are quite a bit bigger than I am. I have been charged by "snotty" animals more than once, simply because I existed.
Not only that, wild and spooky cattle stir everyone else up, and they don't fatten or finish well either..
To me temperament is important..

Sounds like someone didn't culling their animals very well. But you can't blame on the entire breed if an individual is crazy and snotty.

Care to tell us what diseases you are so concerning about?

Years ago when I first started out I had a few Galloway cows they were good moms and decent on disposition. They raised good doing calves. The one disadvantage I heard then was that cattle feeders didn't like the longer hair which in wet weather would have mud balls. Would I own more? Wouldn't be a problem.

Waterway65":2102if4e said:
The one disadvantage I heard then was that cattle feeders didn't like the longer hair which in wet weather would have mud balls.
That is why we stopped raising straight Galloways since the buyers didn't like the looks of F1 (Galloway x Angus) steers. Too much hair. The hybrid vigor in them is wow factor, but you won't be happy with the paycheck from the sale barn.

Back when Angus cattle had hair, the crosses would more resemble the Galloway. With the Americanized Angus cattle of today, the hair really gets slicked off. The older Herefords had more hair as well.
The Galloway bloodlines have gone more towards cattle that shed quicker as well. The Galloway cattle in Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, and other southern states have adapted to basically not even really hair up as much as the same bloodlines in the North.

Galloway cattle on a finishing ration tend to be very slicked haired.

Muddy":2jkh3mb7 said:
Care to share which bloodlines that can shed hair very quickly?

Our Pericles sired calves tend to have hair like their dams. In fact the people that used him on club calf bed animals were disappointed they didn't get more hair.

The Willow Valley Galloway herd in Oklahoma, have finer hair.

Galloway2":2xnljmd7 said:
Muddy":2xnljmd7 said:
Care to share which bloodlines that can shed hair very quickly?

Our Pericles sired calves tend to have hair like their dams. In fact the people that used him on club calf bed animals were disappointed they didn't get more hair.
Knew some people that used Pericles on their club calf cows and they surely did got lot of hair.

Latest posts