Belted galloway

Help Support CattleToday:

Petercoates87

Reaction score
So I have searched for info on the "beltie". Has anyone got any dealings with them. I know they are big in the UK and do very well in rough cold areas. I know the meat is suppose to be very good as well.

Petercoate87, what state you lives in? There are folks that always selling good quality belted Galloways on Craigslist. Avoid mini belties or Lowlines crosses.

The belted Galloway breed is a hard sell, around here anyway. There are a few breeders in our area but most sell to small ac owners as novelty cattle that just raise a few for butcher.

tamarack":2zgwkhee said:
The belted Galloway breed is a hard sell, around here anyway. There are a few breeders in our area but most sell to small ac owners as novelty cattle that just raise a few for butcher.
They could do a lot worse. They are ideal cattle for that situation. I think they have novelty value with the belt but if they can bring themselves to have them butchered they are rewarded with a very nice carcase.
Ken

I'm in newfoundland Canada for anyone that don't know it's a Lil rugged island off maritimes. We are known as "the rock". And rightly so we have a small vegetable farm thats been in production for like 70 + years. Well we still plow up rocks in the spring time. Nothing is flat all hills and valleys thats usually all coastline. There's only a few towns that are inland very far. From what I have researched it's the right kind of ground for the beltie to thrive on.

Petercoates87":oynb4hwz said:
I'm in newfoundland Canada for anyone that don't know it's a Lil rugged island off maritimes. We are known as "the rock". And rightly so we have a small vegetable farm thats been in production for like 70 + years. Well we still plow up rocks in the spring time. Nothing is flat all hills and valleys thats usually all coastline. There's only a few towns that are inland very far. From what I have researched it's the right kind of ground for the beltie to thrive on.
Sounds like the belties is right breed for your environment.

Sorry guys trying to figure out this picture thing from my phone.but other breeds I like the hereford too and we'll I know they r not beef but I got a soft spot for jerseys too. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some more info on them. Like what are they like to handle. I just have a small 7 acre farm so being able to handle is a must.

More often than not, disposition is more dependent on the individual animal than the breed. I still hear people talking about "crazy angus", but mine are as calm as anyone could hope for. Hereford are known for being calm and gentle, but I've seen crazy ones too.
Personally, I would focus on buying good quality, easy to handle animals and not worry too much on the particular breed. I say that because I assume your selection in Newfoundland is somewhat limited. There are plenty of breeds that will thrive in your environment just as well as belties, but will have a larger selection to choose from.

M.Magis":1jrcm8dw said:
More often than not, disposition is more dependent on the individual animal than the breed. I still hear people talking about "crazy angus", but mine are as calm as anyone could hope for. Hereford are known for being calm and gentle, but I've seen crazy ones too.
Personally, I would focus on buying good quality, easy to handle animals and not worry too much on the particular breed. I say that because I assume your selection in Newfoundland is somewhat limited. There are plenty of breeds that will thrive in your environment just as well as belties, but will have a larger selection to choose from.
Probably not, not very many breeds that do well in rough environments other than Herefords.

Petercoates87":ioz3j2x9 said:
Sorry guys trying to figure out this picture thing from my phone.but other breeds I like the hereford too and we'll I know they r not beef but I got a soft spot for jerseys too. I was just wondering if anyone could give me some more info on them. Like what are they like to handle. I just have a small 7 acre farm so being able to handle is a must.
Raising jersey steers isn't bad idea and you can always buying and finishing belted steers for freezer beef.

That's debatable. I see a lot of angus, limo, etc... making it on their own in very tough country. But regardless, cattle he finds locally are already used to the environment. And it's not like they'll have to rough it out in the mountains on they're own. It's 7 acres.

Well guys newfoundland is very bad right now for buying anything but a holestien steer. Anyone with a few beef cows are not selling. So so if I wanna build on my Lil herd of 2 I got to ship in from the mainland. My 2 girls are hereford cross and they are very easy to handle. I'm just wondering what anyone knows about the belties that's all.

Belted Galloway cattle are widely known for their docile nature, ability to thrive in harsh conditions, easy calving, small calves and mothering ability, willingness to eat poor forage and produce excellent carcasses, even on grass.

I have a herd in Illinois and it was hard to find quality cattle when I started a few years ago. The numbers are growing, as is the popularity of the breed.
I typically have standing orders for breeding stock as well as meat animals. I receive a premium over market price on everything I raise/sell.

That being said, breeding stock is not that expensive either. You can probably maintain 3-5 cows on your 7 acres if you have additional hay available to purchase.
Beltie steer calves are usually very affordable. They typically reach market weights at 20-24 months if raised on grass/hay alone.

Established sources will get between $5-10 per pound for the grass fed beef.(Based on halves and quarters sold)

There are a number of breeders in Canada. You can access a list on the CLRC website (Canadian Livestock Registry Corporation) that registers all American and Canadian Belties. There are also many breeders in the NE with major sales each year in Maine.

Other sources of info include Beltie.org, the breed website.
Belted Galloway on Facebook
Belted Galloway Classifieds on Facebook

I had to create a new account this morning to provide the info. My Rahe Family Belties account didn't work.

Should you want to share or ask questions of me, please email me at [email protected] and I will get back to you quickly. I will share phone number too if you want to text.
I sure wish this site had a more friendly manner to post pix. I would flood you with pix.

Best wishes to you in whatever breed you select.

God Bless!

I would think based on your environment, and you're setup and what you're looking to do , they would probably work well for you. Most of the ones I have been around have seemed pretty docile, but there are always exceptions, and depends on the individual animal. I know the belt is a very dominant trait, and can pop up down the line even after several crosses.

A.J.":e1hkrld7 said:
I would think based on your environment, and you're setup and what you're looking to do , they would probably work well for you. Most of the ones I have been around have seemed pretty docile, but there are always exceptions, and depends on the individual animal. I know the belt is a very dominant trait, and can pop up down the line even after several crosses.
Actually you won't get any belted calves from solid colored parents. And the belt won't pop up if the parents are both solid colored. As long as one parent is heterozygous belted, you'll just get either a belted or a solid calf.

The official pitch phrase for all niche cattle breeds.

xxxxxxxx cattle are widely known for their docile nature, ability to thrive in harsh conditions, easy calving, small calves and mothering ability, willingness to eat poor forage and produce excellent carcasses, even on grass.