Bellering cows

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Anyone notice that the cows seem to be extra vocal and loud right after calving this year? I'm surprised the calves aren;t deaf from all the carrying on the new mommas are doing.

We did 1st shots for calves on Saturday... and man was it noisy while they were seperated - crazy loud to the point where you had to shout out from one end of the squeeze to the other.

Once we were done and ran the calves back out of the vet pen and into the pasture -- a wonderful silence!

Not really, but we've got one baldy cow that has lost her voice. Every time she tries to beller it sounds like a popcorn fart. Wish they were all like that.

Our's have been very vocal, I thought it was just me. I kept wondering what was up. But every time I checked the momma's are just standing bellering with calves doing their thing.

Dun
I ain't sure it has anything to do with calving about 2 weeks before I weaned I pulled all the cows onto 80 acres and they were noisy I got up a went and checked on them several times and they were just standing their so I'm not sure what it was but they were noisy

idylglade1":1auae47b said:
Our's have been very vocal, I thought it was just me. I kept wondering what was up. But every time I checked the momma's are just standing bellering with calves doing their thing.

That's exactly the way ours are this year. One calved yesterday and she's still at it but getting quieter.

dun":1vrvgq5c said:
Anyone notice that the cows seem to be extra vocal and loud right after calving this year? I'm surprised the calves aren;t deaf from all the carrying on the new mommas are doing.

Are you saying :shock: :help: That this is caused by GLOBAL WARMING? :???: :? :lol2:

I have noticed a bit of a change from last year but it seems to only last a few days when the novelty of having a new baby wears off, first calvers were the worst but that just makes them good moms... And hey as long as I here a little moo back from the calf I can fall right back asleep.. :lol2:

Speaking of strange,, was it just my herd or was everyone else's cow/calves completely bonkers during that last full moon. I went out and checked the herd at around midnight and the cows were all running around and acting like they were in heat and the calves were all bellering and jumping each other as well. I thought maybe there was a predator in with them and got them all riled up but Lo (llama) was completely quiet and relaxed ...It was very very odd ,almost freakish.. :???:

cfpinz":37tiher6 said:
Not really, but we've got one baldy cow that has lost her voice. Every time she tries to beller it sounds like a popcorn fart. Wish they were all like that.

Have a hiefer that calved on Sat. Lost her voice too only it sounds like the bleat of a buck in rut. :nod:

hillsdown":37tiher6 said:
Speaking of strange,, was it just my herd or was everyone else's cow/calves completely bonkers during that last full moon. I went out and checked the herd at around midnight and the cows were all running around and acting like they were in heat and the calves were all bellering and jumping each other as well. I thought maybe there was a predator in with them and got them all riled up but Lo (llama) was completely quiet and relaxed ...It was very very odd ,almost freakish.. :???:

Ours were not tearing around during that full moon, but when I would make the night check the grouse were drumming to beat the band!

Latest posts