Beefmaster Show

Help Support CattleToday:

Unless you are raising purebred cattle or replacement females, I can't understand why any rancher would want to use an "eared" bull on his cows. It makes more sense to have the "ear" in the cows and use an English or exotic bull to reduce the "ear" and improve the profitablity of the calf crop.

bullpeddler":3dv3ak4m said:
Unless you are raising purebred cattle or replacement females, I can't understand why any rancher would want to use an "eared" bull on his cows. It makes more sense to have the "ear" in the cows and use an English or exotic bull to reduce the "ear" and improve the profitablity of the calf crop.
using beefmasters on your crossbred cows will get you fast growing calves an heavy weaning weights.that why people are using them.the liveoak beefmaster sale is 1 of the biggest beefmaster sales in the country.

bullpeddler":22gkuvr7 said:
your right i had rather have the brahman influance in the moma and go with the strait bos taurus bull . for more reasons than the ears though. mostly because heat, insect tolerance pinkeye fescue toxictity .heterosis ,milking and so on. and you only have the bull to contend with the other problem's

bigbull338":3b06tttz said:
bullpeddler":3b06tttz said:
using beefmasters on your crossbred cows will get you fast growing calves an heavy weaning weights.that why people are using them.the liveoak beefmaster sale is 1 of the biggest beefmaster sales in the country.

Yes, but bulls of other breeds can sire growthy calves that won't be discounted for too much ear.

bullpeddler":1moneyw1 said:
bigbull338":1moneyw1 said:
bullpeddler":1moneyw1 said:

Yes, but bulls of other breeds can sire growthy calves that won't be discounted for too much ear.
well i dont go by what color sells hot at the sale barn.i go more for what i like in cattle.an if my cattle get docked because of color so be it.thats my choice to run bulls that may get calves that are docked.as long as i can get the ave price or better.im doing good on calf sales.

bigbull338":dumecx1g said:
bullpeddler":dumecx1g said:
bigbull338":dumecx1g said:
bullpeddler":dumecx1g said:

well i dont go by what color sells hot at the sale barn.i go more for what i like in cattle.an if my cattle get docked because of color so be it.thats my choice to run bulls that may get calves that are docked.as long as i can get the ave price or better.im doing good on calf sales.
i was with you up till this point bigbull. but gonna have too jump ship. if the buyers want cadillacs i dont want to be selling lincolns

ALACOWMAN":2n6riv4o said:
bigbull338":2n6riv4o said:
bullpeddler":2n6riv4o said:
bigbull338":2n6riv4o said:
bullpeddler":2n6riv4o said:

i was with you up till this point bigbull. but gonna have too jump ship. if the buyers want cadillacs i dont want to be selling lincolns
well the reason that i say that is this beefmaster crosses can take the heat.now i had always thought like every1.that you go with what sales the best.but this summer changed my mind fast,my beefmaster bull would be out grazing on those 100+degree days.when the cows would stay in the pool or in the woods till it cooled off.an that right there changed my mind.

bigbull338":2l6z03p5 said:
ALACOWMAN":2l6z03p5 said:
bullpeddler":2l6z03p5 said:
bullpeddler":2l6z03p5 said:

well the reason that i say that is this beefmaster crosses can take the heat.now i had always thought like every1.that you go with what sales the best.but this summer changed my mind fast,my beefmaster bull would be out grazing on those 100+degree days.when the cows would stay in the pool or in the woods till it cooled off.an that right there changed my mind.

That is great that your Beefmaster bull is heat tolerant but the sheath and ear (and spots) he adds to the calf crop make him a bad choice as a commerical sire, particularly on eared cows. I agree with ALACOWMAN. Raise what the market wants and you will be rewarded.

well color plays a big part . but i have to think about where my calves are going.. west.. where theres a big climate change for em. i dont want any thing more than 1/4 brah . i put alot of work in these cattle i want it to pay. the momas can take the heat for sure. thats the bonus of the F1 but i dont want to lose profit or worrying about the babie having too much ear.

ALACOWMAN":2ofz6jfe said:
well color plays a big part . but i have to think about where my calves are going.. west.. where theres a big climate change for em. i dont want any thing more than 1/4 brah . i put alot of work in these cattle i want it to pay. the momas can take the heat for sure. thats the bonus of the F1 but i dont want to lose profit or worrying about the babie having too much ear.
i agree with you there.you dont want ear on your cattle.so you can run a beefmaster bull on angus cows an get some devil of heavy calves.but here again im not going to depend on steer prices at the sale barn.im going into the seedstock end of it with beefmasters.so my goal is this raise the best bulls i can.at a price that the comm cattleman can afford.the guys around here want good top bulls for $2000.so im going to work to fitt into that market.wich means only the best bulls will be raised.if they are mediocor they will go to the sale barn.

bigbull338":1qvkclp0 said:
ALACOWMAN":1qvkclp0 said:
i agree with you there.you dont want ear on your cattle.
  • so you can run a beefmaster bull on angus cows an get some devil of heavy calves.but here again im not going to depend on ste
er prices at the sale barn.im going into the seedstock end of it with beefmasters.so my goal is this raise the best bulls i can.at a price that the comm cattleman can afford.the guys around here want good top bulls for $2000.so im going to work to fitt into that market.wich means only the best bulls will be raised.if they are mediocor they will go to the sale barn.
and i agree with you here. ;-) thats why i said i like to see some baldie calves out of this bull and i bet his replacments would work great to

ALACOWMAN":pkfbixdw said:
bigbull338":pkfbixdw said:
ALACOWMAN":pkfbixdw said:
i agree with you there.you dont want ear on your cattle.
  • so you can run a beefmaster bull on angus cows an get some devil of heavy calves.but here again im not going to depend on ste
er prices at the sale barn.im going into the seedstock end of it with beefmasters.so my goal is this raise the best bulls i can.at a price that the comm cattleman can afford.the guys around here want good top bulls for $2000.so im going to work to fitt into that market.wich means only the best bulls will be raised.if they are mediocor they will go to the sale barn.
and i agree with you here. ;-) thats why i said i like to see some baldie calves out of this bull and i bet his replacments would work great to
that bull cant keep from throwing baldy calves.now he would work super on black hided cows.an prolly throw all badies on them.

CowpokeJ":qpydm8mf said:
Joy in Texas":qpydm8mf said:
This bull was pretty awesome in the ring. He was borned 2-14-05. So for 23 months he's a big one.
How much did this bull weigh?
Not sure because it's not in the sale catalog. I am getting a price sheet in the mail. I'll see if it has anything about his weight.

Joy in Texas":12ep7efp said:
CowpokeJ":12ep7efp said:
Joy in Texas":12ep7efp said:
This bull was pretty awesome in the ring. He was borned 2-14-05. So for 23 months he's a big one.
Not sure because it's not in the sale catalog. I am getting a price sheet in the mail. I'll see if it has anything about his weight.
joy you mean you wasnt listening when they told the bulls weight.from the pic.he looks like he weighs 1800lbs.

bigbull338":3v6c7wya said:
Joy in Texas":3v6c7wya said:
CowpokeJ":3v6c7wya said:
Joy in Texas":3v6c7wya said:
joy you mean you wasnt listening when they told the bulls weight.from the pic.he looks like he weighs 1800lbs.
NO BB I was listening They did not tell any of the bulls weight.

Joy in Texas":2yx0jthm said:
bigbull338":2yx0jthm said:
CowpokeJ":2yx0jthm said:
NO BB I was listening They did not tell any of the bulls weight.
well you need to come to my necks of the woods when they have a beefmaster sale here.they tell the weights on most all the bull that sell.

Latest posts