Baler Recomendations

Help Support CattleToday:

tdc_cattle

Reaction score
Found out today that my custom baler is quitting. I already have a mower and rake so I'm thinking about buying a baler.

I don't need anything brand new. Probably try to pick up some custom baleing but not a ton. I'd prefer 5x6 and net wrap.

Any recomendations of something maybe alittle older but has a good reputation.

in a older baler i would recommend a jd 535. not sure about net wrap in that older model.

Baler reccomendations are like a$$holes! I prefer Deere. 567 or 568 if you're wanting a 5x6 with net. I'm sure NH, Krone, Vermeer, Claas etc also have good balers.

cowski":b3xzzjx5 said:
in a older baler i would recommend a jd 535. not sure about net wrap in that older model.
After using a JD x35 series baler for years and switching to a x66, The x66 baler is 10 times the baler the x35 series are. Easier to use, much more reliable, net wrap works far smoother. Also bales too wet hay with aplomb compared to the x35 series. The x35 plugs fairly easy, the only time the x66 plugged was when the bale starter roller drive chain broke.

Omalleys has a 566 that's got net wrap that would be in my price range. What's to many bales? It's got 21,000 bales on it.

dun":17w880lj said:
cowski":17w880lj said:
After using a JD x35 series baler for years and switching to a x66, The x66 baler is 10 times the baler the x35 series are. Easier to use, much more reliable, net wrap works far smoother. Also bales too wet hay with aplomb compared to the x35 series. The x35 plugs fairly easy, the only time the x66 plugged was when the bale starter roller drive chain broke.

Hired a custom baler for the first time ever and he finished first cutting yesterday. He has a JD 568 with net wrap. He baled 20 acres in 4hrs. For reference I baled the same field with my 435 without net in 8hrs. He was running 6 mph and never clogged. I would clog at 4 mph. The pickup on the 568 is nothing like my 435.

Dun, how many bales per hour do you average?

My dad has one he bought new in 02 I think. Still has original belts, I think it has been re-laced once, it is lighter than my BR 780 takes less horsepower to run. He doesn't bale a 5x6 probably about a closer to a 5X5.5. He has about 14000 bales on it and very few issues. He has been pleased with it.

shaz":1jvgwywx said:
Dun, how many bales per hour do you average?
Never paid any attention. A lot depends on the size of the windrows, small windrows you will get fewer bales per hour.

I like my Hesston 856A baler and it makes a good solid bale. It is net wrap capable but doesn't have the stuff needed to do net wrap. IIRC, the CaseIH RS561 is the identical twin in IH red instead of Hesston red.

The case rs561 or Heston equalivant would be my ideal baler. Why you might ask. Well 5 years ago I bought one on an auction and on the way home the receiver hitch broke off the truck and the baler passed us going down i70. When it finally drove off the pavement the tongue burried in the ground causing it to flip, and roll. The frame is tweaked pretty good so it unusable but I'd have a ton of good parts. It's just twine tie though.

Unfortunately they didn't make those bakers for many years. I've been looking for one as a replacement for five years and haven't found one.

The "M" series Vermeer balers are pretty good. I have had an "I" & "M" Vermeer and they are boring to use, especially the "M" because all you do is drive. If there is a Vermeer dealer not far off take a look at them also.

Just an FYI most people that buy hay, prefer the 4' wide where they can transport 2 wide on a highway trailer. I feed for myself and like you the more hay the better 6X5, Bought an old JD 530 about 4 years ago makes a good bale and most breakdowns were operator caused. Be sure to check bearings with temp gun before buying and belt length before buying if buying used.

I recently bought an old NH 848 netwrap baler for $1200. It is a chain baler, had new chains on it not too long ago. It has been well maintained and regularly greased. I don't know how well it works yet but the fellow I bought it from had been doing 400bales / year with it and has upgrade because his son is coming back to the farm and he likes new equiptment. I am optimistic that it will do the job for me.

Ken

gulfso":20k74vp8 said:
Just an FYI most people that buy hay, prefer the 4' wide where they can transport 2 wide on a highway trailer. I feed for myself and like you the more hay the better 6X5, Bought an old JD 530 about 4 years ago makes a good bale and most breakdowns were operator caused. Be sure to check bearings with temp gun before buying and belt length before buying if buying used.

From what I've been told Oklahoma and Texas have loosened up their restrictions and will let them haul 5x bales. MO and KS have always been pretty farmer frendly.

I don't plan on selling much it'd be nice to do alittle custom work and have some to sell. I can probably sell any extra I had local anyway.

OKlahoma does not or hasn't as far as I know ever had a restriction on farmers on the width of there loads.

Don't see anyone using 4' wide balers here. Truckers put an oversize load banner over the front bumper and go.

Driving lanes on all modern state highways here are 12' wide, so as long as the trucker stays in his own lane, 10' of bales doesn't stick over anyway.

gulfso":fcb3fgxk said:
How do you go about checking belt length? thanks.

dun":35knxuse said:
cowski":35knxuse said:
i sure would not disagree with you dunn. but you can still bale up to 35 bales an hour with a 535 with string.yesterday i got 146 bales out of mine with out a break down. one of my kinfolks gets a new baler every 2 or 3 years,it seems to me every new model of john deere has improvement. but the improvements come with cost. i think my 535 bale weight is equal to a 567 it just wont bale as fast. didn't hesston made the john deere 535 ?

Latest posts