Bagging up... how soon to calve?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Hi all... Im back after a computer crash and WOW! The site looks great!!

Question... my first momma is starting to bag up. She's not real full but just starting to look a little "puffy" in her udder. Any suggestions as to how long I might have til she calves? She's due the first week in March but I'm wondering how reliable that date is as compared to what I'm seeing. I've also heard that they'll hold their tale out away from their rear the closer they get.. what do ya think? Thanks.

Totally reasonable that she is bagging up now, even given that she is not due till March. Don't ask me what behavior is before labor ~ I get edgy if they look at me crosseyed :oops: :help:

Thanks Angie...
I know the feeling...she laid down in the lean-to the other day and started rocking back and forth... I had to remind myself that thats the way my horse itches her belly because at first I thought "OMG... what is she doing!!!"
We're going to move her by herself but hate to do it too soon... thanks for your reply...from Angie in Illinois

You can not count on the cow bagging up telling you when she is going to calve. Trust me on this. Those dang girls of our make a game of fooling me. :? Had cows that would bag up 2 weeks before calving and others that never bag up until 10 minutes after having the calf.
If she is not due until the first of March I would not start getting excited until you know she is in labor. I would start checking about every 4-6 hours starting about a week before the due date. If nothing is happening don't sweat it, the calf will come when it is ready.

I look at minw daily starting a few weeks befor calving. Also look at her vulva. It kind of starts to loosen some befor calving(some do not). If you see her off by herself is a good indication of labor.

SSL10728.jpg

I happened to catch this cow the evening before she calved. She's springing (slap your face vulva). Her udder isn't real swollen, but look closely at the teats, they are swollen, reddish and kinda point out at an angle. Some cows have big udders some don't, some have a lot of discharge, but the only really consistency from cow to cow, I have seen, is the teats really get firm, and reddish.

get pic that what we need is pic to go with the texts the only problem is my old cow looks like that all the time compared to the others !

fourstates":f4ob9ns8 said:
SSL10728.jpg

I happened to catch this cow the evening before she calved. She's springing (slap your face vulva). Her udder isn't real swollen, but look closely at the teats, they are swollen, reddish and kinda point out at an angle. Some cows have big udders some don't, some have a lot of discharge, but the only really consistency from cow to cow, I have seen, is the teats really get firm, and reddish.
Thanks fourstates...I agree... the first thing I thought when I looked at her was that she wasn't bagged up real firm and tight. But I do see what you mean about the teats. Our momma's teats arent firm yet and her vulva is nowhere near what I see in your cow. I have noticed the slight change in her udder though so I'm sure I'll be seeing more signs. Aside from her being my first one to calve here on the place, I'm going to be out of town for a week in Feb. so I'm especially nervous she'll calve while I'm gone. There'll be people here watching for her but I pray she waits til I'm back home!! By the way, thats a real nice cow you've got... I've got Murrays. Thanks so much for your help.

Here is what to look for; very, very, loose vulva (heavily springing), spending lots of time by herself (this is a good indicator, but they don't always do it), teats fully swollen. The tit trick is what I use most often, I can usually hit it 12-24 hours before calving.

Her bag may be full for weeks and weeks, or not look very full at all before calving, but the teats tend to swell immediately before calving. ;-)

Just my observations,
Trey

Every cow is different. As far as the teats go most of the time they are full and tight before calving, some get so big you would swear something is wrong, but there is always the exception. I have a cow that will not drop her milk until she calves. The vulva is the best bet but then again there are always going to be exceptions.
One other point. I prefer to have cattle that are going to calve in a pasture with no hazards, gullies, lakes, holes, and the like. Newborns will fall into anything around. I also like to have other cattle around them. Cattle are social animals and prefer to have other cattle around. When you separate them it can make them very nervous. I like a small pasture where you can get them to the pens and haul them to the vet if necessary.

I use the T & T test. If the teats are swollen and sticking out at an angle and the tail is sticking out like a pump handle, you're fixing to get a baby.

so the proper term is "springing" :???: ? if thats the case springing would be when my husband says their "monkey" is getting big.. :eek: and about to calf.

our first calf is due the 22nd of feb. he wasnt gonna bring her in until next week but we're getting anxious and brought her in today. First calf of the season. she was breed to, Hardcore. Its a little earlier than we wanted but who would of thought she would of took on her first AI time? :shock:

t&d farms":32dtyegw said:
Its a little earlier than we wanted but who would of thought she would of took on her first AI time? :shock:

Why would you not expect her to settle first service?

well i guess its not so much her as it was us :oops: .
the year before was our first year of AI and the outcome wasnt very good. it took several times per each cow. and of those we only ended up having two calves out of five. we used the heat patch and watched, but obviously we had issues : . so we figured maybe we start a lttile early.... and of course they all took.. first time. i think we had one rebreed out of 8 (small herd i know) now we did have a new tech. and they seemed to do things ALOT different. So was it him, was it us? who knows? i guess its trial and error right?

t&d farms":308z5n5g said:
So was it him, was it us? who knows? i guess its trial and error right?

With AI all of the parts have to be right. Good plane of nutrition, unstressed cows, accurate heat detection, correct timing, quality semen, proper semen handling and a good tech with a good cow side manner.

Don't count on the bagging up as a sign that she might be close to having a calf. I have a cow that seems to bag up about a month before she calves. When the teats begin to get swollen and seem to stick out at an angle, then I know they are getting close. Part of the reason they do this is because the brain releases a hormone known as Relaxin which allows the capillaries in the mammary system and especially the teats to relax and allow more blood flow causing them to appear swollen and red. In a college textbook I have, it says that recent studies show that Relaxin can be rleased up to 48 hours, but typically 12-24 hours prior to calving. The Relaxin triggers the muscles in the hips, vulva and reproductive tract to relax and gives the cow the appearance of being "washed out" in her rump, and "heavy springing" in terms of her loose vulva. I have also had cows begin to bag up after parturition as well.

Wisteria Farms":kwo8kbj7 said:
Question... my first momma is starting to bag up. She's not real full but just starting to look a little "puffy" in her udder. Any suggestions as to how long I might have til she calves? She's due the first week in March but I'm wondering how reliable that date is as compared to what I'm seeing. I've also heard that they'll hold their tale out away from their rear the closer they get.. what do ya think? Thanks.

I think I would not go by the udder, as it is not very reliable - too many don't bag up/or strut until labor hits. I believe I would be paying attention to her vulvar area, as well as her behavior. Cows don't generally hold their tales out unless they are actually in labor. That will usually be accompanied by restlessness, isolation, laying down/getting up frequently, and a general attitude of being "off" - for lack of a better term.

msscamp":1vu45f6p said:
That will usually be accompanied by restlessness, isolation, laying down/getting up frequently, and a general attitude of being "off" - for lack of a better term.

Not to make light of the situation, but you've just described my behavior to a tee. :D

Latest posts