BAD BULL B.S.!

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't advocate mistreating animals but I want them to know who the boss is.Do not hit one unless necessary and then stop when you make your point.I'm no expert on body language but I suspect some confrontations are caused by us just like in human relations.If you find you have an animal who cannot respect you there are two cures stockyard or butcher.

We have this discussion every few months, and I still have a problem with someone that is carrying an axe handle with him / her in the pasture. If you have animals that are that dangerous, why would you have them to begin with?

Most everyone here knows how I feel about bulls and how to handle them, so I won't stir that pot. I've had cattle for over 20 years, and I've never been charged or challenged or hurt by a bull. I've been stepped on, knocked down and pushed by a cow or two, but it's funny. Seems as if they will "warm" a person first. We have had cows that would try to get you whenever you got close enough, and they didn't stay around long. I will not own a cow / bull that I can't walk comfortably out in pasture around. If you have an axe handle and have to use it on anything very much, that animal is going to eventually get really pi$$ed off and you are going to get hurt regardless. They will just look for an opportunity.

TheBullLady":4rjcivwm said:
We have this discussion every few months, and I still have a problem with someone that is carrying an axe handle with him / her in the pasture. If you have animals that are that dangerous, why would you have them to begin with?

Most everyone here knows how I feel about bulls and how to handle them, so I won't stir that pot. I've had cattle for over 20 years, and I've never been charged or challenged or hurt by a bull. I've been stepped on, knocked down and pushed by a cow or two, but it's funny. Seems as if they will "warm" a person first. We have had cows that would try to get you whenever you got close enough, and they didn't stay around long. I will not own a cow / bull that I can't walk comfortably out in pasture around. If you have an axe handle and have to use it on anything very much, that animal is going to eventually get really pi$$ed off and you are going to get hurt regardless. They will just look for an opportunity.

Yep we do and people that treat them like poodles are the ones you read about in the paper.
Some people actually run cattle they don't see everyday, I haven't seen some of mine in the last five days they are not pets. I have cattle scattered across 6 miles in three different pastures no need to go pet them I can put out hay for week.
PS I had a set of heifers I retained in one pasture for this spring that I didn't see for over a month.

I had my first bad experience with a bull today, I've owned this bull since December 2003. I finished replacing a float valve on the water trough and I noticed a spare mineral feeder had been knocked around the lot so I started dragging it behind the barn and the bull comes up and sticks his head inside the feeder and his head gets stuck for a few seconds when he gets free he goes nuts and starts pawing the ground and wanting to charge me for some reason. I picked up a board, and some nearby sticks and start shouting at him he backs up a little and I run behind the barn and make it to the bed of the truck and he comes over and butts the truck bumper a few times before leaving. This was a close call as I pinned by a 5 strand fence, the barn and the bull, I have my mind made up the first opportunity when I have help to load him he's leaving the farm.

gertman":s408civ1 said:
I had my first bad experience with a bull today, I've owned this bull since December 2003. I finished replacing a float valve on the water trough and I noticed a spare mineral feeder had been knocked around the lot so I started dragging it behind the barn and the bull comes up and sticks his head inside the feeder and his head gets stuck for a few seconds when he gets free he goes nuts and starts pawing the ground and wanting to charge me for some reason. I picked up a board, and some nearby sticks and start shouting at him he backs up a little and I run behind the barn and make it to the bed of the truck and he comes over and butts the truck bumper a few times before leaving. This was a close call as I pinned by a 5 strand fence, the barn and the bull, I have my mind made up the first opportunity when I have help to load him he's leaving the farm.

Sorry to hear about your trouble.
Screaming in fear and running for your life is just the kind of thing I was talking about. ;-) When you got scared you had a fight or flight response. You choses flight!

Your bull now knows who is the boss and it ain't you!
Darn it that was just what we were trying to avoid.:oops:
Glad you are O.K.

S.R.R.":31kd35zs said:
gertman":31kd35zs said:

Screaming in fear and running for your life is just the kind of thing I was talking about. ;-) When you got scared you had a fight or flight response. You choses flight!

Glad you are O.K.
if a bull is madd or playing for that matter.the best thing todo is get to safty.an your right running stirs some bulls up to chase you.but you have to get away from them.i was taught you stand on cows.never letting them get by you.or run though you as you try to move them around.because i knew if i let them by me id get the fire beat out of me.but as i started getting around stiffer an slower.i changed the way i move work an sort cattle.i dont crowd them near as hard now.

bigbull338":18ee8jk5 said:
S.R.R.":18ee8jk5 said:
gertman":18ee8jk5 said:

Glad you are O.K.
if a bull is madd or playing for that matter.the best thing todo is get to safty.an your right running stirs some bulls up to chase you.but you have to get away from them.i was taught you stand on cows.never letting them get by you.or run though you as you try to move them around.because i knew if i let them by me id get the fire beat out of me.but as i started getting around stiffer an slower.i changed the way i move work an sort cattle.i dont crowd them near as hard now.

Yes safety is the MOST important thing.

I have found that the first time a bull acts aggressive is the best time for him to learn never to do that again! A loud confident yell with a couple of strong steps forward and then a whack behind the ear like he never dreamed of does wonders to change his out look! ;-)

Now if you do have to get away from him go left or right straight away at a run will make him chase you as it does a moose or bear.

S.R.R.":15tb5g8t said:
bigbull338":15tb5g8t said:
S.R.R.":15tb5g8t said:
gertman":15tb5g8t said:

Glad you are O.K.

I have found that the first time a bull acts aggressive is the best time for him to learn never to do that again! A loud confident yell with a couple of strong steps forward and then a whack behind the ear like he never dreamed of does wonders to change his out look! ;-)

Now if you do have to get away from him go left or right straight away at a run will make him chase you as it does a moose or bear.
ive had 1 or 2 bulls that if you busted them behind the ear.they would put you in your grave.an not think a thing about it.

bigbull338":34wai40n said:
ive had 1 or 2 bulls that if you busted them behind the ear.they would put you in your grave.an not think a thing about it.

Were they holstein bulls? I swear I think mean holstein bulls are really psychotic. Daddy had one that would run up behind the farm truck and ram it, run full out across a pasture to ram it, run dead on into the front of it...all while said truck was moving! The truck looked like it had been in a demolition derby.

He put my grandfather in the hospital and my brother on crutches before he could be penned and loaded by a cowboy on horseback with working border collies. He was then taken straight to the processor.

Psycho bull!

Alice

Alice":30mx1afm said:
bigbull338":30mx1afm said:

Were they holstein bulls? I swear I think mean holstein bulls are really psychotic. Daddy had one that would run up behind the farm truck and ram it, run full out across a pasture to ram it, run dead on into the front of it...all while said truck was moving! The truck looked like it had been in a demolition derby.

He put my grandfather in the hospital and my brother on crutches before he could be penned and loaded by a cowboy on horseback with working border collies. He was then taken straight to the processor.

Psycho bull!

Alice
yes alice it was a reg holstein bull a palamar bootmaker son.that was 1 mean sob.the old devil weighed 3000lbs in his prime.like the bull you talked about.old percy loved beating the devil outta cattle trailers.when the trailer was in the pasture,youd have to drive 50mph to get out the gate.an all the while he be beating the fire out of the trailer by butting it with his head.an if you wasnt well a head of him leaving the pasture.he would be out an on you fore you could get out of thge truck an shut the gate.

Yeah BB338, sounds like they were clones of each other. Daddy went to straight AI after that. He kept a little angus bull with the heifers, but he wouldn't have another Holstein bull on the place after that.

Alice

Alice":icnsmjph said:
Yeah BB338, sounds like they were clones of each other. Daddy went to straight AI after that. He kept a little angus bull with the heifers, but he wouldn't have another Holstein bull on the place after that.

Alice
we ran hostein bulls on the dairy herd off an on for 28yrs.he was really the only killer bull that we had.an he would try to kill you if you gave him a chance.

bigbull338":mpwxmnid said:
Alice":mpwxmnid said:

Alice
we ran hostein bulls on the dairy herd off an on for 28yrs.he was really the only killer bull that we had.an he would try to kill you if you gave him a chance.

Oh, I believe you!

Alice

bigbull338":2s3488as said:
S.R.R.":2s3488as said:
bigbull338":2s3488as said:
S.R.R.":2s3488as said:
gertman":2s3488as said:

Glad you are O.K.

And that is why God invented the 45-70 Marlin! ;-)

In all seriousness if you have a bull that bad it is best to work him on horse back with an aggressive horse that knows cattle!

gertman said:
........... "I noticed a spare mineral feeder had been knocked around the lot"...

Clue #1.... which says something is not good in his world. Could be many things but, most likely an animal in heat near by was picked up in the wind...or by sight...(current or recently).

I have never seen... a good breeding.....bull that would not become cantankerous to some degree under some circumstances. He must be avoided until he settles down.

We keep bulls in the corral behind 2-1/5" thick wall tubing and when a cow is brought in for breedng they must have a scuffle thru the bars. The ones not selected repeats this several times. For some time after, we will not go into their pen less we create a confrontation. That doesn't suggest bad attitudes it represents frustration.

...."so I started dragging it behind the barn and the bull comes up and sticks his head inside the feeder and his head gets stuck for a few seconds when he gets free he goes nuts and starts pawing the ground and wanting to charge me for some reason"....

Clue #2...if he was sticking his head in the feeder while you were dragging it...he was being agressive...and took that as a challenge. Animals are not normally that anxious to eat mineral(as opposed to dry feed being put in the feeder). What was the emergency that mandated the mineral feeder be moved at that moment rather than ...later...next day?

...."I picked up a board, and some nearby sticks and start shouting at him he backs up a little and I run behind the barn and make it to the bed of the truck and he comes over and butts the truck bumper a few times before leaving"...

Not a good scene. You were not prepared and he was given the opportunity for the upper hand and they will take advantage. Animal husbandery suggest never get into a confrontation with an animal unless you are prepared and can win. To loose is to invite further challenges. That is not good...for you or the animal.(you are apparently safe)but, a good bull,perhaps, must now meet his..."water-Lou'...(sp?) as a result. I would have presented the bumper to him in an agressive fashion(short of breaking legs)and finished the job with a 5' fiberglass control tool out of the truck window...until he went to the other end of the corral. The ear is vulnerable and it hurts. I would never go into a pin without my stick,which they have become to know.

"This was a close call as I pinned by a 5 strand fence, the barn and the bull, I have my mind made up the first opportunity when I have help to load him he's leaving the farm"....

If he is a bull you wish to have a round try this. Create YOUR controlled environment and let him know FIRMLY who's boss...AGAIN. If he is back to normal most likely it will work and you can regain control and respect. A couple times may be required and should be done soon and close to each other. DO THIS ONLY IF YOU ARE CONFIDENT AND AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Just some thoughts on animal management.

Latest posts