BAD BULL B.S.!

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
There are a number of posts on this Beginners board referring to the BAD habits of bulls. If you raise any number of cattle you know bulls and or the danger of bulls as well as cows. Folks if you are new to cattle please take to heart these words!!!

You are dealing with 1000lb to 2500lb animals that at anytime can hurt you!!! The fact is that we dominant the animal world and the minute you let one of those cattle know you are scared of them is the same time you get hurt! A bull is nothing to be scared of as some will tell you. Rather be sure that at ALL times you are safe from his aggressive behavior and if he does give you the eye make sure he regrets it.

Animals respond to the dominate animal and in your case you have to be the dominate animal!!

Bulls are one of the greatest sources of pride for a rancher and you should not rob yourself of the joy of owning one because of some peoples fear of them.

Be very careful and respectful of your bulls BUT do not be scared of him!

I'm totally learning so what do you do when a bull gives you the eye? How do you make him regret it?

tncattle

When it get right down to it your cows will do you more harm than your bulls. I think this happens because people have been trained to the idea that bulls are mean and dangerous (which they can be) and that cows are pets. The worst wrecks I've had in over 40yr has been with cows. Most times because I'm not watching for they're signals.

tncattle":3f0ozlr1 said:
I'm totally learning so what do you do when a bull gives you the eye? How do you make him regret it?
You put a stout whippy cane across his snout.
B.

Proably a lot more people have been hurt by cows than bulls over the years.A cow with a new calf is very protective as she should be.If you have a dog make sure he listens to you and has savvy and guts or leave him at home.A 1-1/2" X4' stick of hickory,gum,or dogwood is a good thing to have with you out around cattle and some rams. If a cow with calf starts to act aggressive I usually back off slowly keeping herin sight. Depending on the sction of the bull I sometimes walk toward him showing my cane and speaking to him in an authoritative voice.If you must use force, a good whack across the bridge of the nose or right between the ears will usually work.None of these are 100 0/0 foolproof.If your cattle are aggressive as a whole then either you need to spend more time around them or get some other cattle.Cattle seem to be a little more skittish since the advent of the round baler and the automatic feeders.People aren't on the ground walking through them like they did when they fed square bales.

tncattle":2xv66buw said:

Go down to your local coop or vet and buy yourself one of those fiberglass sticks about six feet long and show him/her how it's used. You could use a piece of 3/4" PVC pipe but they break when you need it the most so I use the fiberglass. Or you could use a hot-shot but it's been my observation that it usually pisses off a really agressive animal. I have both but usually use the hot-shot in the crowding pen or chute to move them along while I'm on the outside (read safe).

We use Hockey sticks that have the blade broken off.... but then we are in Canada where hockey sticks are plentiful.

tncattle":23iawtw9 said:

I'm use to being around horses for many years, I've been back around cattle for about 6 now. But same philosiphy, I react to a bulls/cows action. If a bull shows me signs of aggression I let him have it, within a seconds time, with anything I can or have in my hand. A yell, I'll throw a bucket at him, throw my hat at him. If I can get him turned away I will chase him for a few, very few feet. Just what it take to be the alpha and stay the alpha.

For me, I find the most agressive, most untrust worthy animals in my herd are the ones that have been halter trained. Less fear and more attitude.

Alan

tncattle":3bi153xb said:

I agree with most that's been said on this post. My preference is to be proactive when possible rather than having to react to a challenge by the animal, but having said that there are times that you have to react with what you have available. Worst thing to do is to act with just enough force to make them madder. Start out as soon as possible with the animals. When walking among the animals make them move for you even if you don't need them to. As said by others, gotta stay the in the Alpha position with animals.

Sure hope that some folks don't get the idea that a fella has to go out and whack his cows every so often just to keep them in line...good way to make mean cows.
I carry a post hole digger handle when in doubt. The sorting stick is good for cows and calves but the big boys soon loose respect for it.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

The biggest thing with bulls is RESPECT. As long as they respect you, no problem. But sooner or later you are going to run into a bull that has lost his respect for you. Either he has realized he is bigger/meaner than you or he has decided that he is going to challenge your role as BOSS. Younger bulls are less likely to challenge than older bulls. It is natural for that bull to want to challenge you as boss, after all that is what they do with each other. As long as you can keep their respect good for you, but if he decides to challenge your position, what exactly are you gonna do?? I know that I am not messing with a 2000# bull, my life is worth more than that. And, I don't believe beating on one is going to work well, a good tap or smack will do wonders, but if you go too far he is going to eventually decide to fight back, and then you are in trouble.

Keep em around as long as they respect you, make sure they KNOW you are boss, but if you ever start to feel afraid or nervous of them then it is time for him to go down the road. Trust your instincts, but NEVER turn your back on him. Some will last a loooong time and some won't.

And one thing I have noticed is that bulls treat women differently. Some don't seem to be botherd/interested, and some are very interested. I know I have experienced both. Some wouldn't even give me a second look, and some I couldn't even go into the same pen. One would start pawing the ground as soon as he saw/smelled me. He didn't last long around here.

i see alot on here saying whip the bull.an make him fear you.well you can do that but remember this.if you do that.be it a whip axe handle pitch fork whatever keep it with you.i know a guy that worked his bull over with a pitchfork.an the bull feared him .as long as he had it with him.well 1 morning he was in a rush.left pitchfork in the dairy.ran out to shut the lot gates.wewll his old bull saw he didnt have it.an worked him over good.almost killed the guy.so if you use anything on bulls or cows,always carry it with you no matter what.i still walk around cows an bulls without anything.but i know they could turn on me an get me down in a blink of an eye.

One of the things for beginners. If you are not in with the cows they can't get you.
If possible set things up so you feed from outside. This can be by using feed panels or a bunk. Feeding out of a bucket while walking in with the cows is like training them to challenge you. Even if they don't challenge you sooner or later old Bossy will thing that old Molly is getting more than her share and run her off. If you happen to be on the other side you get run over.
Set up your working pens so you can work the cattle as much as possible from the outside. Go to a big feedlot or sale yard where they handle lots of unknown cattle in a short period. Most of the time they are not in with the cattle and where they is an escape very close by.
When moving cows in the pastures remember the slowest you can do it is generally the fastest way. Push cattle too hard they push back. Let them think it is their idea and they go there with ease. It is easier to lead them than to herd them. Call them to feed even if they are standing right there looking at you. That way when you call them they will come.
Always remember that you are the biggest means one there and don't let them forget it.

I use a Longe (sp) whip ( about 6ft long fiberglass rod with a whip tassle on the end, for horses) to get bulls attention. The last bull I had, but sold because of the drought, got it cracked pn the tip of his shiny little nose a time or two. After that all I had to do was pop it and show it. He would allways go find something else to do. Sonetimes I would also take a cheap shot as he was leaving too. He He !
The whip helps me herd the cows too, makes my arms longer you know.

My cows are gentle but I still carry feed to them on the tractor and pull along side the feeder to empty the sack. That way you at least have the front and rear tires giving you a little working space and a tractor to jump on just in case. Haungry cows crowding around the trough can get you trampled.

Ok folks, I I have been reading this thread and I agree with what I have been reading. Now that being said I would like to tell you a story that one of my neighbors, who was rised on a cow farm in SC told me. Remember this story was told to me to be the truth.
My neighbor said that their bull went through the fence to get to some cows on the next property that were in season. His father told him to go get the dog (100lb bull dog) we have got to get the bull back. They go to the neighbors, the dad tells the dog to GET THE BULL, The dog grabs the bull by the nose and the bull slings the dog like a rag doll. Next thing you know that dog grabs the closeset thing to the ground that he can get a hold of and clamps down. That bull quickly made his way back through the downed fence back on their pasture.
He said that he was never able to go out in the pasture that the bull was in before this happened, but after this, as long as he had the dog with him that he could go anywhere that he wanted to.

I agree with all that has been said about providing discipline for the unruly bull. We have only had two instances of this. One was a brahma cross that wound up being shot in the field and then processed. The other was a red angus on heifers. He got a little excited when I was feeding some taming feed from a sack. He got a 2x4 lesson but was sold when we moved the heifers to the big pastures.

I never turn my back on a bull.

my suggestion is to ALWAYS respect anything that is up to 10x our weight. A bull is a deadly weapon if you continue to challenge a bull. I have bulls that I can pet but in our initial meeting of the day, he lets me kn ow his attitude and if he wants me around he will allow me around, if he doesn't want me around, usually when his girlfriends are around, he will let me know and nothing short of fast flying lead will stop him.
I worked with the trainer of my protection Rottweiler and learned alot about animals and fear. An animal can sense fear by body posture and scent. My trainers rottweiler scared me to death even when he was in his pen. He showed me a couple of instances where I would approach the cage and that dog would try to kill me as I was scared that if this 130lb rott got out I was 2 feet from death. I also approached the cage and the dog could not see me, he could only smell me and the results were the same. When the fear was overcame and a dominant posture was used to approach the dog, the dog would be the inferior one. This was even the case when he couldn't see me only smell me.
I guess what I am saying is that we might be the dominant one if we have the right tool in our possession at that one time, BUT he is the dominant being. Just him not intending to harm us, they can at will smash us. Please be careful thinking a stick can keep a bull off you if he wants to get in your back pocket.

Latest posts