Bad Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

I do not understand why anyone that raises cattle do not raise their on Beef to eat...Grass feed until they are big enought , feed corn and berm. hay for 45 to 90 days , hauled to killer, hung 14 days and bang , good health beef...No implants, no hormones, no drugs and cheaper...It taste different than store bought, better to me....If all the feed lot, and big packers went away, I would still raise and eat beef....I have happy cows and they make good beef.....

options":3k4fusep said:
After reading lots and lots of posts today. One thing seems to always surface in regards to beef. Most posters think store beef is bad and home raised is so so so much better. I'm a wondering if everyone here raises beef so much better than the beef sold in stores, where does the bad beef sold in stores come from?

Where is walmart's feedyard located at?
Where is safeway's feedyard at?
Where is food lion's feedyard located?
Where is publix's feedyard at?

After all bad beef doesn't come from anyone here who raises beef. I have never heard anyone on this board say yup I raise bad beef. Where does it come from?
I don't have any trouble with beef sold in stores. That's where all the beef my family eats comes from. I have a pretty easy time of looking at a ribeye and gauging how good it'll be off the grill. Sometimes stores have some fine ribeyes and sometimes they don't. The economics of feeding out and killing my own beef don't work for me. All hamburger is the same- excellent if you know what you're doing..

I think we would all be in for a surprise if we had a taste of EVERY beef that we sold into the food chain :shock: There is a reason that a lot of people complain that they got the wrong beef back :cowboy:

At our place we don't have "bad beef". We slaughter one each year (local processor does it) and take a few select cuts and hamburger the rest...we like our beef, so it isn't "bad"...lol. On one of our 650 to 800 animals, we get enough packaged meat to last the 2 of us a year. We only grass fed + water, mineral, and grass hay as needed.

On an animal this size IF we took it to the sale barn we would get about $250. Not an option. As processed meat, we end up with over $1,000 worth of meat in our freezer (based on local prices here).

The only "hassle" we have is opening the door to the trailer, let the animal walk in, shut the door, and drive 3.5 miles to the processor. Piece of cake!

Jogeephus":yfm68rhi said:
I would like to say that my cows are just more betterer than other people's cows and that's why they taste so good. But anyone who has ever seen my cattle knows this is simply BS and I won't argue with them on this point. So why is my homegrown meat better? I have asked this same question many times and have come to the conclusion that the sharp penciled processors are to blame by adding stuff to the meat whether it be fat or water. My processor does neither. To further my belief I'd like you to look at the following recipe and tell me if you think this would be a healthy food to eat.

4 lb. Lean beef
4 lb. Lean veal
2 lb. Lean pork
1 pt Ice water
2 Tsp. Prague powder #1 *
1 oz. Powdered dextrose **
2 3/4 oz. Wheat flour **
3 1/2 oz. Salt **
1 Tbs. Ground nutmeg
1 Tsp. Ground coriander
1/2 Tsp. Ground cardamom
1/2 Tsp. Ground cloves

Grind finely and stuff into sheep casings.

Now compare this recipe and its ingredients to the ingredients on the side of a can of Vienna Sausages. Quite a bit of difference yet they are both Vienna Sausages or so they say.

Actually Vienna Sausages are quite nutritious. Not the best taste in the world (unless you're hungry), but I know doctors who have prescribed a can of them daily for anemic children.

I just read all this thread this AM after I got up. Lots of rambling and a little ranting for good entertainment value...

Coming back to the original post, IMHO, the biggest difference between supermarket beef and homegrown is in the processing. The rapid flow through, wet aging, mechanical cutting, etc. does somewhat lower the quality potential below what the live animal walked in with. As experienced local processor who is willing to hang the carcass for a minimum of 7 days and who cuts with care will almost always generate a higher quality piece of meat.

We began eating our own pasture-finsihed beef in mid-1990s and that is pretty well what we eat. We purchased some ground beef at a store a year or so ago because we had run out of our own. It left a bad taste in my mouth (literally) and we haven't bought anymore since. Rarely do I order a steak when I eat out because it is rarely ever as good as eating at home. Yes, seafood is usually a better option for me at a restaurant.

I believe a good processor is essential to maintaining the quality of the beef we produce. I do not believe our industrialized processing plants have the same opportunity so the masses will not get the chance to enjoy really top quality beef.

I compare our beef and grocery store beef by telling people it's sort of like the difference between the Holiday Inn and a family-run bed and breakfast.
Now, I've stayed at plenty of chain hotels and will continue to do so, but those small places where you can have everything your way make for a truly memorable experience.
So it is with beef. If you've always eaten beef from the store, no big deal. But, having the opportunity to know exactly what that steer has been given and hasn't been given as far as food and injections, where it was raised, how it was cared for, how old it was at slaughter, how it was aged, and cut to your specifications is pretty close to luxurious in my book.
My 2 cents. Take it for what it's worth.

JRGidaho`":299npgwx said:
We began eating our own pasture-finsihed beef in mid-1990s and that is pretty well what we eat. We purchased some ground beef at a store a year or so ago because we had run out of our own. It left a bad taste in my mouth (literally) and we haven't bought anymore since. Rarely do I order a steak when I eat out because it is rarely ever as good as eating at home. Yes, seafood is usually a better option for me at a restaurant.
This is exactly my point, anyone who sits with you or around you at a restaurant can see with their own eyes what a beef producer would rather have to eat, beef(their own product) or seafood, what impression do you suppose this leaves on the people around you? Why would any consumer choose beef if it isn't good enough for the people who raise it!!!!!!! I doubt if you where the owner of Ford you would be driving a Chevy. Everyone needs to take a step back and look at how they bad mouth the very products they raise. Maybe you don't so much as say they are bad but alot of times actions speak even louder than words. The industry depends on it's own members for loyalty before they can get loyal consumers.

options,

At a restaurant, I generally make a point of asking what the source of the beef is. If they can tell me it is a locally produced and processed product, I may try the beef. If I am with a non-family group I will usually tell them I eat lots of beef at home but rarely get an opportunity for good seafood (which living in remote central Idaho is certainly true).

On the flipside of beef promotion, when I'm on an airplane or hanging around an urban group, I am always promoting meat eating and especially beef and lamb.

I have been out with other ranchers numerous times when no one in the group orders a beef entree. We have had this discussion many times. It is about a 50:50 split between "it's not as good of beef as I raise" and "I never get seafood at home". It is interesting that on these occasions chicken and pork are hardly ever ordered. the rancher's alternative is almost always either seafood or possibly lamb.

JRGidaho

farmwriter":2do2yxpb said:
I compare our beef and grocery store beef by telling people it's sort of like the difference between the Holiday Inn and a family-run bed and breakfast.
Now, I've stayed at plenty of chain hotels and will continue to do so, but those small places where you can have everything your way make for a truly memorable experience.
So it is with beef. If you've always eaten beef from the store, no big deal. But, having the opportunity to know exactly what that steer has been given and hasn't been given as far as food and injections, where it was raised, how it was cared for, how old it was at slaughter, how it was aged, and cut to your specifications is pretty close to luxurious in my book.

Have it your way at burger king now!

farmwriter":1gdx7tib said:
I doubt you could tell the difference between the 2 if both are placed on a plate in front of you without you knowing who's is who's. Raising cattle is alot like raising children, we all like to think our cattle are so much better than everyone elses, our beef is so much better than everyone elses, same goes with our children we think they are the best when in reality they might be the bottom of the barrel scum bag, gang banging, can't count to 10 idiots. But we will never see anything that is ours clearly for what it is. It is in our nature to only see the best of our own.

JRGidaho`":1mh1llsr said:
options,

On the flipside of beef promotion, when I'm on an airplane or hanging around an urban group, I am always promoting meat eating and especially beef and lamb.
Saying how good it is, but not willing to order it because it isn't good enough kinda contradicts itself wouldn't you say.

JRGidaho`":1mh1llsr said:
I have been out with other ranchers numerous times when no one in the group orders a beef entree. We have had this discussion many times. It is about a 50:50 split between "it's not as good of beef as I raise" and "I never get seafood at home". It is interesting that on these occasions chicken and pork are hardly ever ordered. the rancher's alternative is almost always either seafood or possibly lamb. JRGidaho
So what you are telling me is for 50% of the ranchers sitting with you, the beef isn't good enough for them to eat, and the other 50% would rather provide income for the fishing industry than their own?

options":2mpll2jz said:
farmwriter":2mpll2jz said:
I doubt you could tell the difference between the 2 if both are placed on a plate in front of you without you knowing who's is who's. Raising cattle is alot like raising children, we all like to think our cattle are so much better than everyone elses, our beef is so much better than everyone elses, same goes with our children we think they are the best when in reality they might be the bottom of the barrel scum bag, gang banging, can't count to 10 idiots. But we will never see anything that is ours clearly for what it is. It is in our nature to omly see the best of our own.

We have done the blind side-by-side comparisons and, yes, people can tell a difference. Does everyone prefer the home grown beef? No, but the majority do. We find older people who had some tie to a farm in their early life are more likely to detect a difference. Also, based on personal observation, Type B personalities are more likely to detect a difference than Type-A personalities.

One of the city boys our daughter dated in college commented that our hamburger tasted better than any steak he had ever eaten. Maybe he was just trying to get on my good side, but I don't think so....

options":35qxkt12 said:
farmwriter":35qxkt12 said:
I doubt you could tell the difference between the 2 if both are placed on a plate in front of you without you knowing who's is who's. Raising cattle is alot like raising children, we all like to think our cattle are so much better than everyone elses, our beef is so much better than everyone elses, same goes with our children we think they are the best when in reality they might be the bottom of the barrel scum bag, gang banging, can't count to 10 idiots. But we will never see anything that is ours clearly for what it is. It is in our nature to omly see the best of our own.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. A custom operation is what makes the difference - not just because it's mine. Not saying my cattle are creme de la creme, but I know they are not fed or processed like most mass-produced food, and I know the difference that makes in the end result. If you can't tell or appreciate the difference, by all means buy what seems best to you, and I don't knock anybody else for buying what they want, either. But denying that different methods of caring for cattle and different methods of processing and aging beef create different end products is either naive or deliberately dishonest.

JRGidaho`":1g9hxnrz said:
We have done the blind side-by-side comparisons and, yes, people can tell a difference. Does everyone prefer the home grown beef? No, but the majority do. We find older people who had some tie to a farm in their early life are more likely to detect a difference. Also, based on personal observation, Type B personalities are more likely to detect a difference than Type-A personalities.

One of the city boys our daughter dated in college commented that our hamburger tasted better than any steak he had ever eaten. Maybe he was just trying to get on my good side, but I don't think so....
Tell you a short story a man who drinks his coffee every morning at the local restuarant bad mouths the quality of beef at the restuarant and the local grocer's everyday. His is so much better, blah, blah, blah,. He has ten cows, he butchers a steer once a year. One day myself and another beef producer had enough of it we knew he just butchered and would be having fresh ribeye's we told him to bring his ribeye that were cut one inch thick up to the restuarant on a certain day we would have 5 ribeye's also from various grocer's. Well after all was said and done He picked a select ribeye from hy vee as best, a prime ribeye from a local butcher shop 2nd. Anyone want to guess where he placed his own at?

options":11rr87tu said:
JRGidaho`":11rr87tu said:
options,

Saying how good it is, but not willing to order it because it isn't good enough kinda contradicts itself wouldn't you say.

JRGidaho`":11rr87tu said:
I have been out with other ranchers numerous times when no one in the group orders a beef entree. We have had this discussion many times. It is about a 50:50 split between "it's not as good of beef as I raise" and "I never get seafood at home". It is interesting that on these occasions chicken and pork are hardly ever ordered. the rancher's alternative is almost always either seafood or possibly lamb. JRGidaho
So what you are telling me is for 50% of the ranchers sitting with you, the beef isn't good enough for them to eat, and the other 50% would rather provide income for the fishing industry than their own?

Easy killer easy.

farmwriter":95k5fcu5 said:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. A custom operation is what makes the difference - not just because it's mine. Not saying my cattle are creme de la creme, but I know they are not fed or processed like most mass-produced food, and I know the difference that makes in the end result. If you can't tell or appreciate the difference, by all means buy what seems best to you, and I don't knock anybody else for buying what they want, either. But denying that different methods of caring for cattle and different methods of processing and aging beef create different end products is either naive or deliberately dishonest.
Again you think your way of caring for cattle produces a better product that anything you can get anywhere else. Apples to apples on the processing. Yours will be better and it may not be better than anyone elses.

options":17qjabpc said:
JRGidaho`":17qjabpc said:
options,

JRGidaho`":17qjabpc said:

For the majority of people who don't know any different, the beef is 'good enough'. Is it as good as it could be? No. Will it ever be as good as it could be? No. Why? Because of the industrialization of the process. Once again, for most people, commercial beef is good enough. I'm just trying to stem the tide of unhealthy vegan propaganda.

For the majority of ranchers who have a lifetime of eating fresh beef, a lot of restuarant beef is a let down. It is still good enough for most people. As far as seafood goes, many of us have either worked or had family or friends who work/worked in the fishing industry and I don't mind supporting them. When ordering seafood, I generaly ask the source of the seafood. Farm raised, wild, US fisheries or foreign. I don't do this because I'm necessarily that picky. I do it because the source of our food is something with which every person should be concerned. I just try to carry the conversation to their thoughts.

If you never ask a waiter/waitress about the source of their meat, would they ever think about it themselves? If you don't have them go ask the chef where it came from, would the chef bother to think about it? At an upper end restaurant the chef thinks about all the time, but at Joe's Diner he probably doesn't.

I believe the source of our food is one of the most significant questions of our life.

JRGidaho`":28194tey said:
I believe the source of our food is one of the most significant questions of our life.
We both agree on that. I choose to support my industry whole heartedly. I will always order beef before fish, pork or chicken, even if it is not home raised. I support my industry.

Latest posts