Bad Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

alftn":2xxth8ed said:
Well if I could not grow better buger than I could buy , I quit raising cows....Nothing in stores like I grow( that I am willing to pay for), and I sure do not think it is as healthy...And I am glad you guys know the quality of my beef without tasting it...Do not think that people do not know quality beef, they eat mine and they want more, period....The cost is not 1000's of $ dallors either, not saying hay aint expensive but I will feed 4500 $ in hay round and sq. another 1000 $ in grain and supplements.. that close in $ amount and I will carrie 41 head to spring grass..Will kill 5 of them on that hay and grain between now and april of total ( I figuar 2500 lbs of vaccumn pack beef )...Wrong on 41 head three have a kill date of 30 Nov. 2 30 mo. steers and a 28 mo. heifer.. I give hanging weight later.. and yes it will also cost 1500$ kill and pack fees..but well worth it...
30 month old steers they pets or something?

Nope, Oxen, I likeem big 1500 lbs., 1750 even better..It is just numbers , I killed their brothers on Mar.15 , they hung at 650 lbs and 690 per half.. I thinks these art going to be BIG can not hardly wait to eat them...

alftn":d6bxz9ad said:
Nope, Oxen, I likeem big 1500 lbs., 1750 even better..It is just numbers , I killed their brothers on Mar.15 , they hung at 650 lbs and 690 per half.. I thinks these art going to be BIG can not hardly wait to eat them...

When you can get it under 20 months or even closer to 16 months, let us know. Enjoy your hobby.

grannysoo":2j22dlnb said:
options":2j22dlnb said:
The national average for cattle grading prime is 3.67%

Taking that into consideration how do all the people at CT have prime beef of such higher quality than anything that can be found in grocer's and restaurants?

Hello? Did I ever say that mine was prime? I think my comments were that I just like mine better. :nod:
No you never said you had prime beef you said your beef was better than you could purchase. Select and choice are available at grocers and restaurants. The only beef better than choice is prime. I was puttin 2 and 2 together I came up with 4.

options":1k57oz7i said:
you said your beef was better than you could purchase. Select and choice are available at grocers and restaurants. The only beef better than choice is prime. I was puttin 2 and 2 together I came up with 4.
Better doesn;t have to have a thing to do with quality grade. Better flavor, better tenderness, etc.

dun":2v0alrzf said:
options":2v0alrzf said:
you said your beef was better than you could purchase. Select and choice are available at grocers and restaurants. The only beef better than choice is prime. I was puttin 2 and 2 together I came up with 4.
Better doesn;t have to have a thing to do with quality grade. Better flavor, better tenderness, etc.
Thankfully for the novice cattlemen we got the resident expert Dun for learnin.

A quality grade is a composite evaluation of factors that affect palatability of meat (tenderness, juiciness, and flavor). These factors include carcass maturity, firmness, texture, and color of lean, and the amount and distribution of marbling within the lean. Beef carcass quality grading is based on (1) degree of marbling and (2) degree of maturity.

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading.html

options":1131pq52 said:
dun":1131pq52 said:
options":1131pq52 said:
Thankfully for the novice cattlemen we got the resident expert Dun for learnin.

A quality grade is a composite evaluation of factors that affect palatability of meat (tenderness, juiciness, and flavor). These factors include carcass maturity, firmness, texture, and color of lean, and the amount and distribution of marbling within the lean. Beef carcass quality grading is based on (1) degree of marbling and (2) degree of maturity.

http://meat.tamu.edu/beefgrading.html

That's all correct. But there are people that think a hot dog is better then a hamburger. Each persons idea of "better" is different. I happen to like the flavor od meat from older animals, to me that is much better then the stuff from a baby that's only 15-16 months old.

dun":1s6xomgv said:
That's all correct. But there are people that think a hot dog is better then a hamburger. Each persons idea of "better" is different. I happen to like the flavor od meat from older animals, to me that is much better then the stuff from a baby that's only 15-16 months old.
Good comeback Dun I personally would have given more time for thought and came up with better excuse for being wrong.

Red Bull Breeder":1kma2cot said:
Wonder just how meat you have chewed for Dun options?? Just how much does marbling effect tenderness and taste??
Here comes the posse.

Just asked a couple of questions you can skip the first one and answer the second or simple not answer either one. I figure Dun can take care of his self.

alftn":1l1pyz3h said:
.. and yes it will also cost 1500$ kill and pack fees..but well worth it...

$1500 for killing 3 head?????

Ribeyes are selling for $5.99 a lb at Food Giant.

Whole Hereford tenderloins are selling for $8.99 a lb at Fresh Market.

By my math you lost $1500 by not selling the calves at weaning ~6 months old. (3 x $500)

You probably spent $400 a head per year keeping them around growing out. (2 X (3 x 400))

Killing them is going to cost you another $1500 (that sounds WAAAAYYY high)

By my math you got $5400 in them. For that amount of money the two of you could have gone to the store and each eaten an 8 ounce ribeye at $5.99 a lb every single night for the next 902 days straight!!

Brandonm22":1vd5g1y7 said:
alftn":1vd5g1y7 said:
.. and yes it will also cost 1500$ kill and pack fees..but well worth it...

$1500 for killing 3 head?????

Ribeyes are selling for $5.99 a lb at Food Giant.

Whole Hereford tenderloins are selling for $8.99 a lb at Fresh Market.

By my math you lost $1500 by not selling the calves at weaning ~6 months old. (3 x $500)

You probably spent $400 a head per year keeping them around growing out. (2 X (3 x 400))

Killing them is going to cost you another $1500 (that sounds WAAAAYYY high)

By my math you got $5400 in them. For that amount of money the two of you could have gone to the store and each eaten an 8 ounce ribeye at $5.99 a lb every single night for the next 902 days straight!!
:D That's what I'm sayin!

Red Bull Breeder":ngkpe3b6 said:
Just asked a couple of questions you can skip the first one and answer the second or simple not answer either one. I figure Dun can take care of his self.
Well The first question made no sense. I'm guessing you were asking how much meat have I chewed for Dun. Clearly many people here have different tastes and likeness for beef. Dun likes his beef from old cows I like young prime and choice beef. How about you tell us all how much marbling has to do with taste and tenderness. Your just dying to tell us how great your reds are I'm sure. This goes right back to what I have said before, please don't bad mouth beef from a store just because you didn't raise it. Just because you raised your beef doesn't meen it is better quality. I've also said this before home raised beef is like home raised kids. Well all think we rasie the best when in reality we don't Sometimes the beef is terrible just like our kids. It is just in our nature to think we got the best.

I don't think you can find anywhere that i have bad mouthed store bought beef. You seem to be the very well informed on just what the best beef is so i thought you might answer my question for me. Agin if you don't mind just what effect does marbling have on the tenderness of beef??

Red Bull Breeder":2e8zsh0q said:
Wonder just how meat you have chewed for Dun options?? Just how much does marbling effect tenderness and taste??

Maybe take your second question to the Beginners Board, the newbies should be able to answer that for you.

TexasBred":3f15q47h said:
Marbling has very little effect on tenderness. It's "grease"....lubrication... Might aid in chewing some. ;-)

Yep, marbling and tenderness are about 10% correlated, they say. But one in four Select steaks is likely to be tough. One in six Choice steaks is likely to be tough and a tough Prime steak is practically unheard of. What's the difference? Marbling.

Frankie":dsseu517 said:
TexasBred":dsseu517 said:
Marbling has very little effect on tenderness. It's "grease"....lubrication... Might aid in chewing some. ;-)

Yep, marbling and tenderness are about 10% correlated, they say. But one in four Select steaks is likely to be tough. One in six Choice steaks is likely to be tough and a tough Prime steak is practically unheard of. What's the difference? Marbling.

Genetics....Age....Hanging and chilling, Aging, Thawing, cooking and degrees of doneness. (How much marbling is in a good filet mignon)

Latest posts