autopsy pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Since you've opened this post even after reading the title, I suppose there's no need to warn you these pictures are a bit graphic. :lol2: :p

Normal internal organs

3-4 week old calf

Heart
heartwithtapemeasure.jpg

Lungs (lobed; 4 on the right side, 3 on the left side) -- note that lungs should FLOAT in water
lungsinwater.jpg

Stomach (cow has one stomach composed of 4 chambers, NOT four stomachs)
calfstomachwithtapemeasure.jpg

Liver (lobed)
liverwithtapemeasure.jpg

Gallbladder (yellow fluid is called bile, released into intestine and contains bile salts which assist in the breakdown of fats)
gallbladderwithbile.jpg

Kidney (bovine kidneys are lobed, have 15-25 lobes according to the anatomy book)
kidneywithtapemeasure.jpg

Spleen
spleenwithtapemeasure.jpg

Uterus (note that this is a CALF -- ovaries in a cow are only slightly larger but the rest of the reproductive tract is some 4-5 times this size)
uteruswithtapemeasure.jpg

I'll get more normal pictures over time and update this thread as I have the opportunity to do so.

Abnormal parts

Joint infection in a calf (just happens to be the one above :p)
jointinitialwithexplanation.jpg

jointwithexplanation.jpg

Peritonitis in a fresh cow... a reminder to be careful not to go through the uterine wall when infusing cows with uterine infections. This cow's entire abdominal cavity was filled with uterine fluids and placental membranes; was a foul smelling mess. The omentum is part of the abdominal membrane that encloses the intestines (I'm told it also provides support).
peritonitis_explanation.jpg

Another deadly result of infusing a fresh cow -- low doses of oxytetracycline can safely be used to infuse a cow with a uterine infection, but more is NOT always better! This cow was infused with over 250mLs of oxytetracycline 200mg/mL. The result is a nasty uterine abcess that repeatedly broke open and drained into the abdominal cavity, causing a chronically sick cow and excessive tissue around the reproductive tract. Two months after initial infusion the abcess was the size of a football (according to my vet), when the cow was put down it was the size of a baseball. Normal color for a mature cow's repro tract is a pinkish-red, NOT white.
uteruswexplanationsresized.jpg

Thanks, I learned something new from your post today. Did not know that bovine kidneys are lobed.

You're welcome, folks. Farmgirl -- I didn't know that either until I did a bit of research prior to working on the calf. Once I read they were lobed I had to make a special point of finding the kidneys since it sounded fascinating. Definitely looks different than the fetal pig I dissected in class last semester. :lol2:

Latest posts