healed castration pictures please

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie":3r1nt5qx said:
Apparently cowgirl8 does not understand that each auctioneer has his own lingo.

At one barn, common phrases are "steer calf", "steer cow", and yes ... "steer bull". And of course my favorite for a broken down cow, "She has her whole life ahead of her."

Also retained testicles usually can not be determined by palpating the scrotal area. They are usually up inside the abdominal cavity.
No, i'm the one who is saying the auctioneer has his own lingo.....and i'm the one saying they dont check for testicles and if its knife cut or banded....

cowgirl8":2pku95ox said:
chippie":2pku95ox said:
Apparently cowgirl8 does not understand that each auctioneer has his own lingo.

At one barn, common phrases are "steer calf", "steer cow", and yes ... "steer bull". And of course my favorite for a broken down cow, "She has her whole life ahead of her."

Also retained testicles usually can not be determined by palpating the scrotal area. They are usually up inside the abdominal cavity.
No, i'm the one who is saying the auctioneer has his own lingo.....and i'm the one saying they dont check for testicles and if its knife cut or banded....

Why on earth do you even feel the need to put this in writing?! Everyone on this board that's been around cattle for more than 5 seconds, and that's spent about 5 minutes at a sale knows this. You don't score points by pointing out things that are common knowledge....the wheel does not need to be reinvented!

FWIW, TexasBred is 110% correct on the use of the term palpation.

I'm going to try this once more. Here is a listing of cattle for sale and this is also how cattle are announced at weaned/vac sales
I've also seen it announced at some of the weekly sales like OKC when a guy brings in a big draft of steers that have been on wheat pasture and have had all the vac's, weaned, and knife cut.

TIM & SAM CROWTHER; 75 CHOICE ANGUS-LIMOUSIN X STEERS 400-450#, 8-WAY, HIGH ALTITUDE., KNIFE CUT, NO IMPLANTS
KURT LOFDAHL; 70 CHOICE ANGUS X STEERS 550-650#, VIRA-SHIELD, KNIFE CUT

Chippie, you and several others have tried to tell her how the sale barn operates. You try to tell her how the auctioneer describes things. In an earlier thread, she even admitted that she needed to go sit and listen to see what they were saying because she only heard, "Bibbly, dibbley...."

Imagine a one on one conversation with her. I bet the subject would be changed 100 times back about her, and she never asks questions.

It wouldn't make any difference if they were banded or knife cut coming from your farm as you have the Cryptorchidism problem. That is what they are trying to eliminate. Missing testicles.

I'll try to be a little helpful here.
Can you tell the difference between knife cut and banded? YES, AT A GLANCE
Do feedlots (and therefore buyers) prefer knife cut? YES, MANY IF NOT MOST DO

Will they actually pay more? IN THIS MARKET OF HIGH COMPITITION FOR CALVES, PROBABLY NOT, BUT IN A LOWER MARKET IT MAY BE WORTH A COUPLE $ PER CWT

Also if you miss a nut banding it will not fall out the hole after the rest falls off. However since the scrotum is the first thing to rot they can catch on something (brush, fence etc.) and pull the sack off, leaving a nut or two dangling.

And no I don' have pics either so you can take it or leave it.

skeeter swatter":y5jdnl45 said:

Will they actually pay more? IN THIS MARKET OF HIGH COMPITITION FOR CALVES, PROBABLY NOT, BUT IN A LOWER MARKET IT MAY BE WORTH A COUPLE $ PER CWT

Also if you miss a nut banding it will not fall out the hole after the rest falls off. However since the scrotum is the first thing to rot they can catch on something (brush, fence etc.) and pull the sack off, leaving a nut or two dangling.

I know for a fact it will. I had one, first calf crop i banded and had one i could not get into the small band, thus prompting us to get a big wrench type bander the next year. The one i missed and left it up, fell out about 3 weeks after it was banded. I passed on the information to my daughter who has cows now, the first one she couldnt get banded with both down, she left up and a couple weeks later, fell out. So, we both learned our lesson the hard way. I know for a fact, i've witnessed it twice.. This is valuable information to anyone who, first will filter through most of everyones arguing to see this, but if you band, Make sure you get both testicles when banding because the other will fall out when the band comes off unless its a Cryptorchidism problem. I'm sure it doesnt happen every time, but if the calf is big, so is his nut...gravity will pull it out.

cowgirl8":3mwotxo9 said:
skeeter swatter":3mwotxo9 said:

I know for a fact it will. I had one, first calf crop i banded and had one i could not get into the small band, thus prompting us to get a big wrench type bander the next year. The one i missed and left it up, fell out about 3 weeks after it was banded. I passed on the information to my daughter who has cows now, the first one she couldnt get banded with both down, she left up and a couple weeks later, fell out. So, we both learned our lesson the hard way. I know for a fact, i've witnessed it twice.. This is valuable information to anyone who, first will filter through most of everyones arguing to see this, but if you band, Make sure you get both testicles when banding because the other will fall out when the band comes off unless its a Cryptorchidism problem. I'm sure it doesnt happen every time, but if the calf is big, so is his nut...gravity will pull it out.
No shitt, Sherlock.

skeeter swatter":3g8h1tdy said:
Gravity will pull it through where?
Banding will not leave a hole for it to fall out of.

When the band falls off, there is a healing spot....as you can easily see in this picture on this young calf..When it falls off, there will not be a totally healed spot, it will be scabbed over.

Here is the same scab on a large calf. Its the size of a quarter. The sack has fallen off but its not totally healed. The reason its healing is because there is no weight over it. Put a large testicle inside to put pressure on it, it 'can' open up. Totally logical, and i know it can happen from experience.

Well, I've learned something. Have always banded my calves. Never seen a hole. Something I'll keep in mind. Thank you.

When my FIL was in his later years I know he would miss some by not waiting for a little help. End result was a one seeded calf. There was never a possibility of the one left falling out.

fitz

fitz":12aqqjp6 said:
Well, I've learned something. Have always banded my calves. Never seen a hole. Something I'll keep in mind. Thank you.

When my FIL was in his later years I know he would miss some by not waiting for a little help. End result was a one seeded calf. There was never a possibility of the one left falling out.

fitz
Its not an open hole its a scabbed over hole. Havent you ever had a cut that you moved just right and it opened back up? Thats why humans started using stitches..At one point there was a channel from the testicles to the body. When the band falls off with the dried tissue, that channel is scabbed over. The channel is still there to a degree and does fine under normal circumstances. But band a large calf and have that testicle sit on top of that scabbed over spot and it will open it back up. Thats why i dont believe that banding larger calves will mean stag steers. Now, if you banded young and miss one, there isnt that weight pushing on that scab.
Also i'd like to point out that doing, cutting or banding and leaving a testicle is going to happen when doing it while the calf is newborn. Cryptorchidism can correct itself as the calf ages. So if you find a calf has it early on, it may not once the testicle has some weight to it. And once you cut into a calf with a knife and cannot get that second one down, it has to be left that way. And before someone chimes in saying no one would cut a calf with one testicle. You're assuming you are doing the work.. Get a couple guys stretch a new calf out for another to cut, sometimes you have to really dig for those nuts because the calf has them pulled up. I've never seen anyone work a large group of calves that has someone feeling around on each calf before its thrown.. I've watched many calves get cut, one nut taken out easily and the second has to be pushed out and sometimes with a little difficulty. My sil occasionally works for a big ranch where they cut, one ropes and drags the calf to some machine that spreads it all out, then several guys go in, one cuts, one vaccinates and one brands..never seen it, but it sounds terrible for the poor calf. They will work hundreds of calves in a day...

we had a calf one time that we tried to band when he was a couple days old and we couldn't get it to come down so we had to wait till he was a 500 weight before we could band him.

cowgirl8":1mhgyde5 said:
Yikes....its good to have them cut fro sho...We do have one yearling bull we plan to sell that just isnt working out. All our male calves are 100% cut...
If you claimed that your male calves are 100% cut then why you just said that you banded your bull calves and even showed the pictures of your bull calves with bands on?

cowgirl...just one quick question. Have YOU ever castrated a calf with a knife or scapel? Then you should know they do not drop down...they are attached tightly. You have to pull them down and even then it is not easy. Now enough of this stupidity. You are not that dumb and the folks on here certainly are not.

If you band a calf with only one testicle in the band, consider yourself lucky if the other one "falls out", it is still attached my a spermatic cord and epididymis and those suckers are thick.

I just had a thread on here where an idiot neighbor of mine brought 5 wt steers over here to graze. They looked awfully bullish to me. Turns out they still have a nut and it didn't "fall out" through the rotting tissue when they were banded as month old calves. Instead, they grew to full size testicles that are now hugged up tight against the abdomen because the scrotum was gone with the banding.

Just do it right, whatever method it is you choose. In this case, these calves will have to suffer a knife cut of their large testicle and not in the typical manner in addition to their earlier banding.

raykour":15iibzq8 said:
If you band a calf with only one testicle in the band, consider yourself lucky if the other one "falls out", it is still attached my a spermatic cord and epididymis and those suckers are thick.

I just had a thread on here where an idiot neighbor of mine brought 5 wt steers over here to graze. They looked awfully bullish to me. Turns out they still have a nut and it didn't "fall out" through the rotting tissue when they were banded as month old calves. Instead, they grew to full size testicles that are now hugged up tight against the abdomen because the scrotum was gone with the banding.

Just do it right, whatever method it is you choose. In this case, these calves will have to suffer a knife cut of their large testicle and not in the typical manner in addition to their earlier banding.
What falls out is not like a marble falling out of a sack with a hole. It just drops down past the skin leaving a meaty glob exposed. It then has to be surgically removed..
I can see how one can be left up with a young calf, there is no weight behind it to push itself out so the hole heals it in.....Its very easy to band a large calf standing up, they pop down below the band easily.

Latest posts