Ideas please

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have my cows in the pasture and my bull is also there. I just had a cow to calf (calf is from a previous bull) and she is still in pasture. Should I move the bull to a pasture across the rode. The reason I ask is when I first moved the cows out of the pasture, leaving him, he jumped 3 fences to get to the cows. He been there ever since. It is a dirt road and only about 30-35 foot from fence to fence. Also should I try and get mama cow and calf penned off to themselves or just leave them with the rest of the herd. If I had her put up or penned up from the other cows I could feed her a little to help her with the new calf. What do you all recommend, leave or separate or remove Bull only.

The bull shouldn't pose a risk to the calf. If you have a defined breeding season I'd definitely move him. Hot wire is your friend! Otherwise, he'll most likely breed mama back as soon as she cycles, in which case she'll need more groceries raising one and growing another without a break. Whether you pen her and the calf now to supplement her diet is contingent on your pasture, feed, her current nutrition and whether she is in good condition (preferably a BCS of at least 5). I'm assuming you don't have other calves in the herd?

Latest posts