Ideas on drying citrus pulp by the ton

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Might as well ask if anyone has some ideas on drying pulp using rudimentary tools, not machinery.

I get some wet pulp.

Have no large concrete areas, have no fel, I get it in bins that are near a ton each.

What I do have is say quarter acre to use

Have plenty of pallets, have wax cardboard, have usual hand tools, do have a tractor but no fel..have forks on rear though.

What are your ideas for drying pulp ?

I guess I could also just split it and let cattle and sheep have at it.....

I often feed the cattle using pallets as I get other waste feed, i was thinking of layering it into pallets with other feed....

I was also thinking I could probably use straw, couple of inches of straw, then a couple of inches of pulp....a few hrs later on hot dry day, do same, and repeat...

I am only thinking of this as we are warming up, and if left in a bin wet, it may start fermenting.....

I would think that would be a very difficult waste product to utilise, i feel you may have to be a pioneer. Let us know how you get on. I think using it with layers of straw will get you either a brick, or compost.

lol.......yeah, a compost pile if not dried properly.......

I will prob have to use in a period that matches the climate at the time...

My thinking on straw was 2 fold.

It would help with drying naturally, and, some of the juice may make plain straw palatable.

You could not really layer it unless completely dried.....

I will go try the straw today in a barrow....3 inch of straw and 3 inch of pulp....and see if they gobble the straw down too.

Prob enough fibre in the pulp as contains skins, but the straw may still be needed ..... will have too look into that more.

I SELL CITRUS PELLETS....I also work where its made....all you will do is have rot..it cant be done slowly it will mold and sour and ferment....just dump it out and let them eat it..they will or they wont

It does dry if not too thick, but, yeah, it is prob not practical DIY without the driers etc.....

They eat it no probs.

How long will it take to ferment if it is warm weather but kept in shade ? will fermentation matter if only slight ? Mould, yeah, wont be letting it mould or feeding if it does.

it just rots..like anything will in the heat...cpl days probly...it will sour and then get rotten.

where ya located> I'm in Myakka. not alotta places to get pulp anymore..

Latest posts